CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 11-05-2006, 06:43 AM   #1
Israel Halperin

Profile:
i just read this great kipping pull ups thread
http://www.crossfit.com/cgi-bin/disc...c=22&page=9021

and would like to understand what is the definition of power in regard to the pull ups here.

the way i understand it, i will get more pull ups per unit of time if i will kipp, compare to strict ones, but i wont recruit as much energy from the more isolated muscles, using strict pull ups.
how can one decide which measurement of pull ups uses more energy,work per unit of time ?
and why are the numbers of reps per unit of time count as the only, or main measurement for work in this case, and not, say, the recruitment of motor units, or CNS effort per unit of time?

Old 11-05-2006, 07:01 AM   #2
Craig Van De Walker

Profile:
Off the top of my head.

We usually just measure reps because it levels the field so to speak ie person hauling around 25lbs extra fat is handicapped by the extra weight. Result when you lose extra weight your performance improves, but lose too much weight and you lose usefull muscle and performance goes down. We now have a feedback loop to help us decide how to manage our weight in a healthy way.

You can actually measure the physical work done if you only add weight and distance. Weight x distance / time. You can do it with a pencil and paper, or in your head. I don't know how to measure motor unit recruitment or CNS effort per unit of time.

We do perform strict pullups during some of the workouts. L-pullups, try to do a bunch of these, or deadhang/strict pullups. They are just not the default pullup.

If you read the FAQ page and some of the old posts things may make more sense.
Old 11-05-2006, 09:34 AM   #3
Brad Davis

Profile:
Craig is right about the definition of power. Another way to think about it is in energy expended (or work done) per unit time.

The only confusion comes in when people don't think about what is doing the work that goes into the equation. For example, if you bounce the bar at the bottom of a deadlift, then gravity, by way of the elastic bounce at the bottom, supplied part of the work for the next rep.
Old 11-05-2006, 12:01 PM   #4
Israel Halperin

Profile:
how can you know that your expending more energy while kipping ? doing more repetitions per unit of time is just one parameter out of many others (cns effort,motor unit recruitment,time under tenstion,level of concentration..)

Old 11-05-2006, 05:35 PM   #5
Brad Davis

Profile:
That's a good question, IMO. Around here, I think folks are typing about external work done.

Is there a way to quantify internal energy expended that doesn't result in external work?
Old 11-05-2006, 07:18 PM   #6
Craig Van De Walker

Profile:
Time under tension, cns effort, motor unit recruitment and level of concentration are not measurable "work". I could be wrong or out of touch with recent research but I have never seen those things specifically quantified. Many times though I have seen foot pounds of work over time measured.

I do not remember hearing much discussion about more or less energy expended only more or less work being done (power being produced).

When you measure the horsepower and torque of an automobile engine you do not hear how many calculations per second the engine management system is completing, the dwell time of the injectors, cam overlap, or internal friction measures etc. just what the engine can do for the vehicle.

That being said, there are things we have been exposed to that are very hard to accomplish while doing no measurable work. Take for example a 3 minute L-sit very hard but does no measurable external work. Other examples that come to mind are handstand balancing or front and back levers.

(Message edited by vcraig on November 05, 2006)
Old 11-05-2006, 09:05 PM   #7
Carrie Klumpar

Profile:
Sounds like it's a matter of semantics here.

There are lots of parameters you could measure. If you want to measure power output (i.e., energy expenditure), the formula is F (t)/D (or, to super-simplify, reps per unit time).

If you want to talk about muscle recruitment, time under tension, grip strength, hypertrophy, callus wear and tear, or whatever, then the terms of the formula, obviously, will vary.
Old 11-06-2006, 03:58 PM   #8
Mike Yukish

Profile:
how can you know that your expending more energy while kipping ?

You're not expending more energy (on a per rep basis). You're expending energy faster (more power).

But you will end up expending more energy in a max reps set, because you are spreading the total force over more muscles and so can do more total reps.
Old 11-06-2006, 05:04 PM   #9
Rafael Mattei

Profile:

I think because i'm ussually more out of breath with the kipping kind, also you are not only using your arms but your abs and legs muscles to drive the pull up UP.

my .02 cents
Old 11-06-2006, 06:09 PM   #10
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:

An engineer will tell you that in almost any mechanical system as a general rule a higher power output results in a greater-than-linear increase in energy expenditure.

Think of cars and gas consumption as an analogy. Faster speeds will reduce fuel economy. A car burns more gas over a given distance when driven at higher speeds. A 4-cylinder, 40 miles per gallon Honda won't get 40 miles per gallon anymore when driven at 95 mph. A drag racer going 300mph gets about 4 miles per gallon. Power is costly. Peak power is very costly.

The human body is no different. Kipping can achieve a higher power output (pullups per minute) than strict pullups. As the body approaches maximum performance, small increases in power output (work over time) will result in huge increases in energy cost.