CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 03-25-2008, 02:13 PM   #41
James Besenyei

Profile:
Re: NYT Magazine article

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
I've known a few guys who could curl 100 lb dumbbells. They didn't get to that level of strength just by curling. They deadlifted, squated, did oly lifts and otherwise trained their entire body.

I wouldn't say that curling is a great way to develop strength, but curling 100 dumbbells is an impressive deisplay of strength.
Right on Jamie. Curling has its uses. Lots of guys/gals who lift stones, compete in highland games or do other odd lifts train heavy curls. In addition, many are well-rounded athletes to boot.
Old 04-01-2008, 08:47 AM   #42
Christian Gotcher

Profile:

Yeah, she's ignorant. Other articles have been worse, though, and not all the press is bad. The Muscle and Fitness video Glassman posted a few days ago looks pretty cool.

The only thing I really found irksome (and not just ignorant) is the Valentine reference. I know a SEAL who does workouts each week, and on the week Mike Murphy was commemorated with the Medal of Honor, those who join the workouts do Murph + some extra PT, and he quickly tells the story of who it's for and what he did. I see nothing wrong with that, and the fact that Heffernan does tells me we are operating from two radically different viewpoints.
M/22/155|Murph-28:19|Helen-9:39|Annie- 5:12|CFT-700|1.5 Mile-8:35|Strict PU-24|Fran-5:24 log
Old 04-02-2008, 12:48 PM   #43
Zach Mitchell

Profile:

Unfortunately too many of us are looking at this article from the wrong perspective. CrossFit was built on eliteness. Matter of fact we are still forging away at it! Being a cult is just perceived as bad, but it isn't by definition. DEFINITION OF CULT W/F/S.

We thrive on our sense of community. We all have the ability to change the way people perceive CrossFit. It is our duty to recruit as many people as we can, invite them into our "home" and teach them the good word. Does that sound cultish? Sure! Cause it is! But there is nothing wrong with that. People are naturally attracted to communities like ours. When we sense that someone else is "having fun" or benefitting from an activity we ourselves are not involved in, it instinctively intrigues us! Don't you remember as a kid playing with a toy and a fellow kid is playing with something else and you look over to notice how much fun they're having? You walk over there and (if you're born an elitest *******) you steal it or you ask for it and ***** and moan until you get it.

Well, the more attention brought to CrossFit the more people are going to ***** and moan until they get it. We can't act surprised when some describes us as we are. That would be hypocritical.

No publicity is bad, any publicity is good.

We don't want people to join that aren't going to except the "cultish community". We like the way things are and if someone wants inside our circle we are gonna welcome them with open arms cause we always do! Should someone try to infilitrate this great community, which we have each helped Coach and Mrs. Coach build, and try turning us into something we never wanted...we would be livid! We don't want people to come to CrossFit thinking that this is some lovey dovey eliptical dream land cause its not! We support eachother but we do not coddle. We embrace workouts as they are but change them to accomodate people who don't breath fire. Fire breathing is taught -- no one is born with it. Side note: I am almost there, I can burp smoke but no fire yet...burp...nothing...damn it

I am sure that there are plenty of affiliates (I hate to speculate) out there that don't do everything by the book. Or throw in their two cents when they think it is appropriate. No one is "blindly following our leader off a cliff". We all listen to our bodies, rest when neccessary and take our own chances. All Coach is doing from a leader stand point is giving us the tools. We're building our OWN houses though.

Shame on any of my fellow CrossFitters for not owning up to what we are all claiming to be a part of: A community that is forging elite fitness. A community (group of people) forging elite fitness (same idea) = CULT. So be it. I would rather be in this cult than the cult that has a salad at McDonalds and diet coke at lunch cause "they're watching what they eat" or the cult that spends 1.5 hours on a treadmill or the cult that works biceps and tris M/Th/W and legs on T/F only to be blessed with the weekend so they go out and binge drink.

Done and done!

Zach
Old 04-03-2008, 04:51 AM   #44
Luke Day

Profile:

Yeah, so I read the Muscle and Fitness article, after that travesty of BS and poor journalistic practice and generally insulting nincompoopism that was the NY Times article last week. You know, besides the fact that it is in a magazine whose sole reason for existence is to sell pro-androgenic and thermogenic products that will give their users heart and connective tissues problems until the day they die, and to exhort them to hit those biceps rom another angle, it was actually the most fair and balanced article in the popular press I've seen about CrossFit. Besides a little hyperbolic high school style writing (you know "As I gazed through a sweat soaked haze, feeling like puking, I realized I was only halfway through the workout. My lungs screamed......." blah blah) it actually seems like the dude hung out at Pentranek and got to know what it was all about, and wrote about it with some dignity, without any axe grinding.

The funny thing, however, is it looks like they took all the CrossFitters out there, shaved their chests and arms and pits, then did photo shoots of them doing the workouts. It's silly.
Old 04-03-2008, 05:15 AM   #45
Steve Liberati

Profile:

Mainstream media writing a sensational article? wow, I'm surprised.
Old 04-03-2008, 06:24 AM   #46
Lisbeth Darsh

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach Mitchell View Post
Unfortunately too many of us are looking at this article from the wrong perspective. CrossFit was built on eliteness. Matter of fact we are still forging away at it! Being a cult is just perceived as bad, but it isn't by definition. DEFINITION OF CULT W/F/S.
Zach, I think you're on track with some of your points (read my March 19th article "Is CrossFit a Cult?" http://http://crossfitwatertown.type...ssfit-a-c.html) but I also found some fault with the Heffernan piece and took her to task with another article that seems to have struck a nerve among a lot of people out there. (I linked to it earlier in this thread or you can find it on our blog in the right-hand column.)

I would venture that the outrage in our community over the Heffernan article has to do with more than just the "cult" imagery. There's an underlying tone and snarkiness in the second half of the article that, in my opinion, just does not jive with the first half. It's as if Heffernan really wants to be one of us but somehow feels unworthy and so she gets her digs in and thereby massages her own ego. (The ironic thing is that she doesn't need to feel unworthy -- we are all of such different abilities and we would have welcomed her with open arms.)
Old 04-04-2008, 03:38 PM   #47
David Wood

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Day View Post
The funny thing, however, is it looks like they took all the CrossFitters out there, shaved their chests and arms and pits, then did photo shoots of them doing the workouts. It's silly.

Uh, Luke . . . it's Los Angeles . . .