CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 03-08-2008, 07:57 PM   #1511
Susie Rosenberg

Profile:
Re: Albany CrossFit Workout Log

Oh, I wanted to give some kudos to the early Saturday group. We talked about how power is generated from the hips and glutes outward to the limbs, and then we explored that concept in movement with a workout called "Core Matters."

Viv, Noreen, Shye, Dona, Theresa and Gab gave it a whirl:

2 rounds of 1 minute of each:

Thrusters
Box Jumps
OHS
Broad Jump
Air Squats
Punching/Kicking Heavy Bag
Wall Ball
Push Press

Then Viv's friend "Shorty" aka Kristen came in and cranked out a couple of perfect pullups, then went at a half-Cindy with great heart. I think she'll be smokin' the workouts in no time!

Thanks, everybody, for working so hard and putting so much into your workout!

Susie

Last edited by Susie Rosenberg; 03-08-2008 at 08:12 PM..
Old 03-09-2008, 12:18 AM   #1512
Steven Quadros

Profile:

I hope this isn't a fopaux, but I'm a NYC boy going to visit my girlfriend who lives in Albany, right near Albany Med. She's into fitness, and I'm currently on SS, with a near overwhelming desire to start CF, though I'm going to hold off until my strength levels are up. That being said, I do want to start working on the olympic lifts, as well as thrusters and kipping pull ups.

I haven't yet worked up the courage to go to Crossfit Brooklyn, though I'm also trying to avoid biting into my recovery, and I think this would be something good for the both of us to do together (my girlfriend and I). Is there something for beginners to come into? What kind of fees could we expect if we came for a workout? (Assuming, of course, that you allow people to simply stop by)
Old 03-09-2008, 06:25 AM   #1513
Susie Rosenberg

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Quadros View Post
I hope this isn't a fopaux, but I'm a NYC boy going to visit my girlfriend who lives in Albany, right near Albany Med. She's into fitness, and I'm currently on SS, with a near overwhelming desire to start CF, though I'm going to hold off until my strength levels are up. That being said, I do want to start working on the olympic lifts, as well as thrusters and kipping pull ups.

I haven't yet worked up the courage to go to Crossfit Brooklyn, though I'm also trying to avoid biting into my recovery, and I think this would be something good for the both of us to do together (my girlfriend and I). Is there something for beginners to come into? What kind of fees could we expect if we came for a workout? (Assuming, of course, that you allow people to simply stop by)
Steven, you and your girlfriend are welcome to come by any Saturday at 9am for our free intro class. Just drop me an email (sdw1255 at aol dot com) and let me know if you're planning on coming. I can show you the class schedule then. You'll be interested to know we have several classes each week that are just geared for building strength.

You can email jasonackerman246@hotmail.com for more info, too. Lots of folks from Albany Med train with us, does your gf work there?

Susie
Old 03-09-2008, 06:40 AM   #1514
Susie Rosenberg

Profile:

Quote:

Steven, you and your girlfriend are welcome to come by any Saturday at 9am for our free intro class. Just drop me an email (sdw1255 at aol dot com) and let me know if you're planning on coming. I can show you the class schedule then. You'll be interested to know we have several classes each week that are just geared for building strength.

You can email jasonackerman246@hotmail.com for more info, too. Lots of folks from Albany Med train with us, does your gf work there?

Susie

ACK!! Sorry for the multiple post, my computer hiccoughed!

Last edited by Susie Rosenberg; 03-09-2008 at 06:43 AM..
Old 03-09-2008, 08:26 AM   #1515
John Marro

Profile:

Yesterday 3/9

warm up and practiced kipping pull ups.

hit up Diane
185lb deadlift
hspu on the GHD
21-15-9

time 7:06
Old 03-09-2008, 08:33 AM   #1516
Steven Quadros

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susie Rosenberg View Post

Susie

ACK!! Sorry for the multiple post, my computer hiccoughed!
Yes, she's a nurse in the pediatric ICU. I'm going to find out if she'd be willing to come to the 9 am class. I know I'm good in the mornings (relative to myself in the evenings), so I'm very interested. Thanks for the quick response, and hopefully I'll see you in about 6 days. I'll be the tall, lightly bearded man with glass who asks entirely too many questions; on the plus side, I tend to listen to the answers with just as much enthusiasm.

I'll let you know what she decides, as it is some of our limited time together; also, I'd have to take her car regardless, so I need permission one way or the other.

Take care, Steve
Old 03-09-2008, 10:19 AM   #1517
Susie Rosenberg

Profile:

Quote:
Yes, she's a nurse in the pediatric ICU. I'm going to find out if she'd be willing to come to the 9 am class. I know I'm good in the mornings (relative to myself in the evenings), so I'm very interested. Thanks for the quick response, and hopefully I'll see you in about 6 days. I'll be the tall, lightly bearded man with glass who asks entirely too many questions; on the plus side, I tend to listen to the answers with just as much enthusiasm.

I'll let you know what she decides, as it is some of our limited time together; also, I'd have to take her car regardless, so I need permission one way or the other.

Take care, Steve

Great! I look forward to meeting you, and hopefully, your gf, too.

I teach a regular WOD class at 8am, and if nobody shows up for the free intro class by 9:15am, I just leave, so make sure to get there around 9am.

Susie
Old 03-09-2008, 02:13 PM   #1518
Luke Day

Profile:

Killer day today after the goodness that was yesterday.

Yesterday Jay and I hit 7x3 Hang Squat Cleans, worked up to 170.

Today a PR DL at 435. Not to be outdone by me, I re-upped and hit a further PR at 445. I then got greedy and failed at 450, twice. Most excellent PR! Party on Wayne! Party on Garth!

Pain don't hurt.

Yelled at Jess for awhile and told her to "Wipe".

Yelled at Fred for 8:18 of the single funniest coolest CF silliness I've encountered in quite some time. Truly extra-classic! Thanks Gokey!
Old 03-09-2008, 02:49 PM   #1519
Susie Rosenberg

Profile:

Fred, you were unbelievable today. You definitely got a THING goin' on!!!! Awesome, man.

Ok, the Cliff notes version of the nutrition talk:

1. For health and wellness, eat whole foods, mostly plants, not too much.
2. For peak athletic performance, eat enough of the above whole foods to support your workouts (energy requirements) but not excess body fat.
3. Take fish oil every day. I recommend PFO (Pure Fish Oil) in the refrigerator section of Honest Weight Coop.

Here are some sample meals you might consider.

Breakfast: 2-3 egg scramble with spinach and onions, 1 orange, 1 TB. of nut butter or use 2 tsp. extra virgin olive oil with your eggs.

Lunch: mixed green salad w/2 tsp. olive oil and vinegar and 3 oz. wild caught canned salmon or a can of sardines. Or stir-fried veggies in coconut oil w/ chunks of chicken breast.

Snack: 5 macadamia nuts, cup of berries, 1 oz. raw milk cheese (if you do dairy)

Dinner: green salad; roasted root vegetables; 4-5 oz. steak, cup of berries for dessert.

Snack: cut up veggies dipped in tahini or deviled eggs with veggies

Some local sources of grassfed/natural meat: (all links wfs)

Dines Farms (www.atthewarehouse.net). Call the guy ahead of time and make sure he's there. He can grill you up a great hamburger while you talk meat. You're better off placing an order with him on the phone, it takes about a week to get the order in.

Gem buffalo Farm: Located in Castleton just south on rte. 9/20: http://www.gemfarmsbuffalo.com/ Try buffalo hump pot roast, it's great.

The Carrot Barn in Schoharie:http://www.schoharievalleyfarms.com/the-carrot-barn.php

Heather Ridge Farm: http://www.heather-ridge-farm.com/ These guys have the best tasting eggs I ever ate. Hens that are truly free range are omnivorous: they eat bugs and grubs, and their eggs are high in omega 3 fatty acids from the animal protein they eat.

The Honest Weight Food Coop has a stock of grassfed/natural meats in the freezer case, but honestly, I think the prices are higher than when I buy direct from the farmer.

Shopping List:

Fresh produce: onions, garlic, avocadoes, carrots, celery, broccoli, cauliflower, fruits of all sorts, lots of darky leafy greens for cooking and salads.

Nuts and seeds: try to get raw nuts: walnuts, macadamia, almonds, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds

Oils and Fats: extra virgin olive oil, flazseed oil (don't cook with flaxseed oil, put it on salads or in smoothies), coconut oil

Fish: wild caught fish: salmon, haddock, cod, shellfish--scallops, crab; watch out for shrimp, ask if the shrimp is farmed. Farmed shrimp from China or Thailand has chloramphenicol in it, plus tons of pollutants.

Meat: at least buy the meat that's labeled as being hormone and antibiotic-free if you don't buy the grassfed, organic stuff.

Canned goods: tahini, beets, coconut milk (for curried stir fries), beans (if you do legumes)

Dairy: if you do eat dairy, look for raw milk cheeses. Hannaford carries 2 types: Boggy Meadow swiss and some raw milk gouda. Look at labels. Honest Weight has many raw milk cheeses. Try the milk from Meadow Brook Farms: it's local, lightly pasteurized, hormone-free. Get organic yogurt and kefir, plain. Avoid the yogurts with sugars and artificial sweeteners. Hawthorne Valley is a good source for incredible whole milk, plain, organic yogurt that comes from pastured cows.

Frozen: if you are not a snob---I'm not, I'm married to frugal---stock up on frozen veggies at WalMart. They are tons cheaper than the market and most frozen veggies are more nutritious than "fresh" stuff that comes from California out of season and in ethylene-gassed plastic bags 'cause the frozen veggies are frozen near the point of harvest. Mackenzie's chopped collard greens are amazing.

Some quick tips on getting more veggies:
1. Roast a pan full of veggies you cut up into similar sized chunks: cauliflower, red peppers, onions, garlic cloves, winter squash, turnips, carrots, parsnips. Just cut, toss w/ olive oil, salt and pepper, and herbs--I like rosemary---and roast at 350 degrees until tender and starting to brown.

2. Saute onion, garlic and fresh ginger in olive oil or coconut oil until tender. Add sliced chicken breast or steak and cook until no longer pink, add curry powder, cumin, red pepper flakes (if you like heat) and some coconut milk, add a bag or two of frozen stirfy veggies and cook until it's all heated through.

3. Make a huge green salad and eat it for lunch as above.

4. Any veggies that are losing freshness, cut up and put into a pot of chicken broth and you have a nice first course of clear soup and some veggies!

5. Keep cut up veggies in your fridge for snacks, and dip into tahini.

I've got lots more to say about nutrition, but my fingers are sore, this post is a PR!

Susie
Old 03-09-2008, 03:40 PM   #1520
Frederick Gokey

Profile:

I just wanted to thank everybody for all the support, it is one of the best organizations I have ever seen. The level of knowledge, enthusiam,life experience,support,encouragement,positive energy and camaraderie,(is that enough adjectives) oh yeah and acceptance, is unequalled. By the way my wife, who thoroughly enjoyed the entire experience today, is still assisting in my recovery, man the stuff she puts up with. Thanks again, Jason,Sue (my first Albany crossfit coach) and the entire Albany Crossfit family. Freddie