CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 12-27-2005, 08:44 PM   #1
Theron Mathis

Profile:
I've been thinking about new year fitness goals, and how they would relate to Crossfit. What goals could I accomplish that would make me a better Crossfitter? Which accomplishments would help me master the "girls"?

Pullups seem an easy choice. I can do around 20 when completely fresh but I still struggle in my workouts...would a goal of 30 or even 40 help me improve on a majority of the workouts. Maybe HSPUs, but at what rep level would make me more efficient. Would increasing my thruster max or my 21 rep max help my progress?

Any ideas out there on certain accomplishments that helped make you a better Crossfitter.

Theron
Old 12-27-2005, 09:05 PM   #2
Russ Greene

Profile:

Improving squat form - facing the wall squats, overhead squats, hamstring and ankle stretches

Better squat form teaches you how to properly engage your posterior chain which helps you with everything.

Making the overhead/handstand position more solid by making the shoulders stronger and more flexible - Handstand pushups, handstand walking, jerks, overhead squats, push presses, shoulder dislocates, one arm handstands, etc. More flexible shoulders will also help you kip better on your pullups.

It took me a while to understand this but better form isn't just better because it looks pretty but is also much more powerful and efficient. To translate these two things into a more tangible goal I would suggest working a lot on your overhead squat. Your abs and back will get stronger, your overhead position will get stronger, and you will perfect your squat form.
Old 12-27-2005, 10:59 PM   #3
Nick Cummings

Profile:

For whats its worth I'm shooting for a muscle up, bodyweight clean and jerk, and multiple handstand pushups by May.
Old 12-27-2005, 11:14 PM   #4
Mikael Všlitalo

Profile:

Goals for 2006: (this will be a VERY interesting read in December of next year)

- I'm sick of having to neglect the gymnastics aspect of Crossfit because of lack of skill/strength, because it never appears in the WOD, and because actual gymnastics classes just don't look fun enough. So I will take a class of Capoeira starting next month with the goal of mastering some basics like the cartwheel, and generally increasing body awareness.

- Just being consistent with nutrition, metabolic conditioning, and weightlifting (that's the biggest, and hardest goal).
Old 12-28-2005, 06:32 AM   #5
Douglas Chapman

Profile:
GOALS for 2006:

Business:
1. Add Equipment:

4 C2 Rowers
15 D-Balls (Various weights)
3 Complete sets of Bumpers and Olympic Bars
15 Dynmax balls (Various weights)
20 sets of dumb bells (Rubber)

2. Have so many customers that the estimates are too low and need to buy more. :lol:

Personal:

FRAN: Sub 3:30
Pull Ups: 30
Muscle Up: 1
Fight gone bad over 400.

Old 12-28-2005, 06:53 AM   #6
Theron Mathis

Profile:
Great suggestions. Consistency. Diet is my big problem there.

I think I will really focus in on some of the gymnastic moves such as pullups, dips, hspu, muscleups. Like Mikael, they are my weakness and dread heavy bodyweight workouts. I guess I need to pick a number for each that would allow me to move quicker through each of the WODs.

Weights are something I enjoy so I tend to gravitate toward that. Right now I am doing Rutman's ME program and using the Clean, DL, and PushPress. I am seeing good results. My DL goal is 400. Rotating to OHS after that would be a great idea.

Anybody else hit goals that dramatically improved there WOD performance?
Old 12-28-2005, 07:26 AM   #7
Andy Shirley

Profile:
Personally I also have been formulating my 2006 goals. As one of my benchmarks, I think I'm gonna use the template in the CFJ: "How fit are you". There are five scored tests, leading to a maximum of 100 points. I have tentatively decided on 32 points as my goal. I have specifics broken down, but I'm gonna make a post with all my goals once they are formulated. MU is on the list, as is 2xBW DL, sub 1:30/500, sub 3:30 1000m rows. BW OHS, once would be nice. There are others, but I fear I'm making my list too long.
Old 12-28-2005, 12:48 PM   #8
Jeremy Jones

Profile:
Nothing like going public with your goals. . .

My goals from last year:

"15 BW OHS.

Eat better (i.e. Zone worthy).

40 pull ups kipping (at 23 right now)

2 minute L sit (at 30 seconds now)."

I have achieved 2 of the four (53 pullups, and the zone thing). I am keeping the other two on the table and adding two more.

-15 overhead squats with bodyweight (as before)

-2 minute Lsit (as before)

-Rutman mile - 15 minute mile run with sandbag equal to bodyweight (DNF from this year).

-10 free standing hand stand push ups.

I am going to go one step farther and make mini goals (i.e. DEADLINES) to keep me on track. This will come after I do some tests to see where I stand with my current goals.
Old 12-28-2005, 03:55 PM   #9
Eric Moffit

Profile:
i agree w/ Russ...squat form is KEY. start w/ the bodyweight version using a post if needed for balance (remember...practicing perfect form makes perfect). once youve got that, add weight in the form of overhead, front, and back squats. dont go crazy ramping up the weight. focus on perfect form through the full ROM and slowly add weight/reps.

overhead work is great, too.
Old 12-29-2005, 04:34 AM   #10
Matthew Townsend

Profile:
Pretty impressive goals Jeremy.

Here's mine to come back to next year.
- Walk 100m on my hands (currently I can balance for about 4 or 5 seconds and can take 4 or 5 mini-hand steps before falling)
- 50 kipping pullups (currently at 29)
- inspired by above 1 body weight overhead squat (presently at 40kg, just over half body weight)
- body fat permanently below 10% (presently fluctuating between 8 and 12).