CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 10-26-2013, 02:02 PM   #1
Kenneth Fleming

Profile:
Crossfit for 12 Year Old

Hello,

I have been doing Crossfit for a little while. I have a 12 year old that wants to start but mother has concerns. What is the thought of this forum?
Old 10-26-2013, 02:43 PM   #2
David Patton

Profile:
Re: Crossfit for 12 Year Old

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth Fleming View Post
Hello,

I have been doing Crossfit for a little while. I have a 12 year old that wants to start but mother has concerns. What is the thought of this forum?
My daughter started doing regular classes/WODs at 11. She started out being my partner, now teams up during strength time with someone else, she WODs next to me. No problems other than boys at school are now afraid of her
Old 10-26-2013, 06:08 PM   #3
Joe Spinelli

Profile:

My 11 year old plays club soccer and was looking to get in shape quick after her clubs month off this June. We did some CrossFit style WOD's at home, but I would not let her lift any weight. Too much risk for her and too much liability for the owner of my box (for when we go there). That's why we just do it at home.
Old 10-27-2013, 05:55 AM   #4
Maggie Collister

Profile:

I'm just curious what the risk would be with kids lifting since you can scale the weights? I understand that most kids could not do the RX weights, but then again, most adults starting can not either. I would think that lifting manageable weights would be great for kids involved in sports and maybe even help prevent injuries and long term wear and tear. Is it somehow related to skeletal growth?

I feel like CrossFit would be a great alternative for kids that aren't competitive/don't enjoy team sports since it has the social aspect of those activities, without the emphasis on competition and it's novel/fun/doesn't drag on.
Old 10-27-2013, 07:38 AM   #5
Sean Dunston

Profile:

At 12 she's a prime candidate for CrossFit Kids. Kids learn this stuff a little differently, and their progressions are taught a bit differently too.
It's not just "scaling" when it comes to this population.
Check out their WODs here (WFS)
http://www.crossfitkids.com
Old 10-29-2013, 12:38 PM   #6
Lance Neumeyer

Profile:

Lots of bodyweight stuff, introduce them to the basic lifts and ensure their form is correct before increasing the weights.
Old 10-30-2013, 08:08 AM   #7
Steven Wingo

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Dunston View Post
At 12 she's a prime candidate for CrossFit Kids. Kids learn this stuff a little differently, and their progressions are taught a bit differently too.
It's not just "scaling" when it comes to this population.
Check out their WODs here (WFS)
http://www.crossfitkids.com
There is a practical problem with this approach. Having two teenage daughters, I can tell you it will be just about impossible to get most 12 year old girls to do something labeled a "kids" class. You would need a class targeted directly to teenagers and definitely don't call it CrossFit Kids or let them learn it is more like a kids class than an adult class.

At our box teenagers (or even a 12 year old) are allowed in regular adult classes so long as they have the maturity level. If they can listen, follow rules, understand the mechanics and progress with the movements then they can work out. Kids often pick things up more quickly than some adults. Once they are teenagers it probably makes sense to progress them like anyone else--mechanics first, then consistency, then intensity.

If you are talking pre-pubescent kids, which is a little younger age group, then it is probably more appropriate to keep them away from any significant weight training. I've seen lots of recommendations out there to keep the younger kids away from the weights until they are older. CrossFit Kids is designed for them. And of course any kids who don't have the requisite maturity level ought not be in an adult class where people are swinging kettlebells and dropping barbells.
Old 10-30-2013, 08:39 AM   #8
Roxanne McClain

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Wingo View Post
There is a practical problem with this approach. Having two teenage daughters, I can tell you it will be just about impossible to get most 12 year old girls to do something labeled a "kids" class. You would need a class targeted directly to teenagers and definitely don't call it CrossFit Kids or let them learn it is more like a kids class than an adult class.

At our box teenagers (or even a 12 year old) are allowed in regular adult classes so long as they have the maturity level. If they can listen, follow rules, understand the mechanics and progress with the movements then they can work out. Kids often pick things up more quickly than some adults. Once they are teenagers it probably makes sense to progress them like anyone else--mechanics first, then consistency, then intensity.

If you are talking pre-pubescent kids, which is a little younger age group, then it is probably more appropriate to keep them away from any significant weight training. I've seen lots of recommendations out there to keep the younger kids away from the weights until they are older. CrossFit Kids is designed for them. And of course any kids who don't have the requisite maturity level ought not be in an adult class where people are swinging kettlebells and dropping barbells.
This is the same situation I am in. I have three boys, ages 15,12,and 8. They are all athletic and love to come and work out with me.
The problem I run into with my 15 year old is that he has a macho man attitude since he is a Freshmen in HS and lifts weights for Football already. He walked in the garage one day and tried to power clean the weight I had just finished 1RM'ing on Dead lifts. It was awful and scared the crap out of me. Luckily he wasn't hurt.
My 8 year old loves the pull ups and the rings. He scares me b/c he has no fear whatsoever. I looked over one day and he had snuck in without my knowing and was upside down on the rings head 4' off concrete!
Now, my 12 year old son is a different story. He seems to listen better (even though outside the garage he is the biggest bull headed child I have). He follows directions well and knows not to attempt anything until he understands the movements. We don't use a barbell for him at all yet, b/c I don't trust myself to not ruin him at this age.He does a lot of Met-cons with me and even coaches me when I'm doing one with the bar and he sees me struggling.
I think 12 is perfect age, if your kid is one to listen If not then maybe your wife and you can just implement the train with me and dont enter the garage without us rule. That was the first thing I did after seeing the potential of male ego at my house. I want them to learn it and love it, but their safety is my top priority.

Old 10-30-2013, 08:54 AM   #9
Sean Dunston

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Wingo View Post

Steve-
Have you gone through the CF Kids Cert? I ask because it sounds like you are misunderstanding the way it works and you are getting hung up on terminology.

Just so we're clear here, the "CrossFit Kids" program encompasses all ages under adulthood. It is broken down into different age groups as follows: "Pre-school," "Elementary" and "Pre-Teen and Teen." At my own gym, we have the program broken down into 2 groups - Kids (under 12) and Teens. When we get more demand, we will move into all 3 categories.

PS: In my opinion pre-teens and teens should not be wodding with adults. There are many reasons for this, but the biggest one is the one that every parent fears. CF HQ has a very strong opinion on this as well -- as is thoroughly discussed in the Kids cert. And that is why all CF Kids certified trainers have to pass background checks before they're even allowed to attend the CF Kids cert.

Last edited by Sean Dunston; 10-30-2013 at 08:57 AM..
Old 10-30-2013, 10:32 AM   #10
Steven Wingo

Profile:

Sean I think a teens dedicated class is great if you live in an area that offers it and there is enough demand for it. I live in a town with 6 boxes. None even have CrossFit kids anymore. The box I attend and coach at had one, but our instructor moved away and our owner--rightfully so in my assessment--is not comfortable offering the CrossFit Kids class without a certification. When it was offered there was only enough demand for a younger kids class--definitely not one where a 12 year girl would attend. But he is comfortable in that mature teens can attend adult classes. It is a case by case basis on who is mature enough. They have to demonstrate it.

If the demand is not there, or if you don't have the trained instructors, I think mature teenagers (and I would include most 12 year old girl in there) are fit for adult classes as long as they are supervised and the scaling is appropriate. These are universal movement patterns and I would assume CrossFit kids does not change those movement patterns. Let me know if I'm wrong. My understanding is the changes are in the way things are taught and in some instances the level of intensity (i.e. staying away from really heavy lifting).

CrossFit Kids specific for teens seems like a great luxury if it is available. I would not criticize it at all. If it is not available I think the mature teens should be in adult classes. That is better than no CrossFit at all and more appropriate than a teenager in a class with elementary school kids.