CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > In Search of CrossFitters
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

In Search of CrossFitters For finding other CrossFitters to CrossFit with

Old 10-29-2013, 10:40 AM   #1
Roxanne McClain

Profile:
No CF Gyms Between Memphis, TN and Cookville?

I have been a proud CF addict for several months and just don't get why there are so many boxes in so few areas. All the boxes in TN are either in Memphis or all the way east over near Cookeville, TN. Hello? The Three-Peat Fittest Man on Earth is from TN. Why doesn't someone open a box near, oh lets just say, Selmer,TN?
I work out in the hubs stinky garage, after working a full time job, and running 3 boys back and forth to all kinds of different practices and such.
Just saying, if a mother of 3 and business owner can find the time between house work, laundry, homework, and running a business, you would think CF is big enough that someone would open a box instead of making me WOD alone in a super hot or super cold garage.
Someone open a box so I can work out with someone else
Old 10-29-2013, 12:17 PM   #2
Greg Spaight

Profile:
Re: No CF Gyms Between Memphis, TN and Cookville?

Sounds like you have identified a need. Now go ahead and step into the gap.
Old 10-30-2013, 07:42 AM   #3
Roxanne McClain

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Spaight View Post
Sounds like you have identified a need. Now go ahead and step into the gap.
Wish I could, but I'm no gym owner and for sure no trainer. I need a trainer. There are so many families just like mine that are into anything sport related, and this being the sport of fitness would hook some great long term clients. I know this isn't a large area, but in small rural towns like this, where football players are local stars, would do great. Mother's and Father's would pay for their kids to attend these classes to improve their kids field performance in other sports.

Cost of living is much less here than most other parts of the US, someone with the right business plan and knowledge could come in here and start a box and clean up.

I have a full plate, and already own and operate a business. I can daydream about owning a box, but in reality the only box I will ever own is my garage, and you have no idea how hard it is to schedule my own time around the kids practices and sports. But I do it, and I know others would too.

Just putting it out there.. TN could use some more locations that aren't centered around Rich Froning's hometown and Memphis.
Old 10-30-2013, 07:50 AM   #4
Jason Spradlin

Profile:

There's an affiliate in Jackson, but I know that's still a drive from Selmer. As already mentioned, sounds like a business opportunity to me.
Old 10-30-2013, 09:57 PM   #5
Christopher Morris

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxanne McClain View Post
Cost of living is much less here than most other parts of the US, someone with the right business plan and knowledge could come in here and start a box and clean up.
My wife is a trainer who opened a CrossFit gym in the rural town we used to live in. The next nearest box was an hour away. It was definitely an opportunity and a challenge.

Challenges:
- Most people hadn't heard of CrossFit. Why should they pay three times more than going to the local big box gym?
- Low cost of living area means she couldn't charge $150-200 per month. If I remember right the unlimited membership was $75 per month and it went down from there.

If you want to see a box in your area, you should encourage the right person. Meet someone at the gym who is into CrossFit or would get into it. If they have the mindset and opportunity, they could become the newest affiliate.