CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 10-21-2013, 04:42 PM   #1
Roxanne McClain

Profile:
Question Wrist Wraps

I have only been CFing since July, but love the time I put in and the sport. There is no local box where I live, so I own most the daily WOD equipment.
Lately, my thumbs and wrists have been killing me from the lifts, so I need wraps for support I guess. There are so many options, I don't know what exactly to look for in straps
Anybody have favorites or is it a guess and try it kinda deal? I have never lifted before and now that I do it so frequently, I want to get the right straps. Help? Also, I was told it's probably time for a belt too. What about opinions for them? I'm not a large, muscle bound guy, but I guess it would be a good investment to protect my lower back? Any help would be great.
Old 10-21-2013, 06:08 PM   #2
Jason Denny

Profile:
Re: Wrist Wraps

I've got wrist wraps and quite frankly I really don't notice too much difference on the days I forget to wear them. I bought the Rogue velcro red/black. They serve their purpose well. Belts are nice, I wear mine for lifts at 75% and above. Don't go cheap on the belt. For the "powerlifting" style lifts, bestbelts.net are hard to beat. Top quality and good price. I actually wear it for my heavy weightlifting movements as well but some will find a 4" belt too cumbersome. A tapered belt from Eleiko or Valeo might be better.
Old 10-21-2013, 06:23 PM   #3
Chad Ashton

Profile:

When I used to power lift I used wraps made by Inzer. They helped a lot when I benched heavy which was about the only time I used them. They are similar to the ones Jason is talking about but longer so I can get more wrap around my wrist for better support. Haven't tried or needed them yet for CF.
Old 10-21-2013, 06:48 PM   #4
Roxanne McClain

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Denny View Post
I've got wrist wraps and quite frankly I really don't notice too much difference on the days I forget to wear them. I bought the Rogue velcro red/black. They serve their purpose well. Belts are nice, I wear mine for lifts at 75% and above. Don't go cheap on the belt. For the "powerlifting" style lifts, bestbelts.net are hard to beat. Top quality and good price. I actually wear it for my heavy weightlifting movements as well but some will find a 4" belt too cumbersome. A tapered belt from Eleiko or Valeo might be better.
So look for power lifting wraps? I have only started noticing the soreness the past week or so. I wouldn't think a once a day WODer like myself would need much for support, its not like I'm throwing alot of weight around. Do you guys think just some velco wraps for my wrists when I need them or am I being whiny by asking about them at all? I was wondering about the thickness of a belts and have never had any experience with them before, so thank you for the tips. I'll check them out.
Old 10-22-2013, 07:17 AM   #5
Jason Newland

Profile:

If your wrists are sore, it could also be your grip. If your hands/wrists are bent too far back, especially with heavy weight - all the pressure is on the wrist. Try keeping the weight on the base of your palm and see if that helps. (it keeps the weight in line with your arm better)

As for wrist wraps, I went with the Strength Wraps from Rogue. I like how you can adjust how tight they are.

http://www.roguefitness.com/rogue-st...neon-green.php (wfs)

They also have their own website if you want other designs. (as well as explaining how and why they work)
http://www.strengthwraps.com/ (wfs)

For belts, I also picked up a belt from bestbelts. (the Athlete model. Unless you're a monster powerlifter, I don't think many people around here need the thicker 13mm belt. The 10mm is more than sufficient.) Or, I saw plenty of people at the Games using the velcro belts from Valeo.

http://www.bestbelts.net/Powerliftin...s/Athlete.aspx (wfs)

(wfs)
http://www.amazon.com/Valeo-Competit...3VQLN649&psc=1
Old 10-22-2013, 07:55 AM   #6
Brendan McNamar

Profile:

I would second the idea that something is off in your lifting form.

Wrist are the weak, flexible link that take the abuse if barbells are not in the correct position or shoulders are tight.

If you have never injured a wrist and you can do pushups and handstand then your wrist probably move well enough to not be the cause of the problem.

Can you be more specific what lifts and movements hurt your wrist?
Old 10-22-2013, 09:00 AM   #7
Dakota Base

Profile:

I never used wrist wraps for anything (except striking and taped wrists for gymnastic workout) in the weight room until recently after an injury. With proper form and strength training for your wrist, you can get away from needing them. But they're a nice crutch sometimes.

I crushed my wrist and hand last year (rodeo bull stepped on it), and during my rehab phase, I had terrible pain any time I flexed my wrist backwards (push up, bench press, etc). To get a little more support, I picked up a pair of Schiek red and black, and a Valeo red and white set, and a pair of Versa Straps.

The Schieks and the Valeo's are cheap enough that I just bought a couple pairs so they don't get quite as funky (lesson learned boxing). I hung small wire hooks on the back of my squat cage to let them hang dry after workouts.

The trick for me with straps is learning how to wear them. It seems straight forward, but too loose and they don't support anything, too tight and they just make your hands fall asleep. Start loose and work your way in. Eventually your wrists will get stronger, so you'll end up tightening them more (counter-intuitive right?).
Old 10-23-2013, 03:43 AM   #8
Roxanne McClain

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan McNamar View Post
I would second the idea that something is off in your lifting form.

Wrist are the weak, flexible link that take the abuse if barbells are not in the correct position or shoulders are tight.

If you have never injured a wrist and you can do pushups and handstand then your wrist probably move well enough to not be the cause of the problem.

Can you be more specific what lifts and movements hurt your wrist?
Brandon, that's probably it. I have no trouble with push-ups, my shoulders are pretty flexible, and don't give me much trouble at all. The wrists are not as bad today, and my w/o yesterday include shoulder press, push press, and push jerks.
They start bothering me when I'm overhead squatting and holding the bar for a while in the overhead position. I will look into some videos of proper grip, because like you said, they don't bother me doing anything else, and my main struggle is trying to get my grip right from under the bar. I have a tendency to let my wrists fall back to support the bar over head.i will look into it. I pay a lot of attention to proper form with my back and legs, but have not thought about my grip being a problem, so my hold at the top is probably not right. Thanks for the tip.
Old 10-23-2013, 03:51 AM   #9
Roxanne McClain

Profile:
Smile Re: Wrist Wraps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota Base View Post
I never used wrist wraps for anything (except striking and taped wrists for gymnastic workout) in the weight room until recently after an injury. With proper form and strength training for your wrist, you can get away from needing them. But they're a nice crutch sometimes.

I crushed my wrist and hand last year (rodeo bull stepped on it), and during my rehab phase, I had terrible pain any time I flexed my wrist backwards (push up, bench press, etc). To get a little more support, I picked up a pair of Schiek red and black, and a Valeo red and white set, and a pair of Versa Straps.

The Schieks and the Valeo's are cheap enough that I just bought a couple pairs so they don't get quite as funky (lesson learned boxing). I hung small wire hooks on the back of my squat cage to let them hang dry after workouts.

The trick for me with straps is learning how to wear them. It seems straight forward, but too loose and they don't support anything, too tight and they just make your hands fall asleep. Start loose and work your way in. Eventually your wrists will get stronger, so you'll end up tightening them more (counter-intuitive right?).
I haven't ever worn wraps, before, but I think you guys are right on wrist strength. They look kinda small and flimsy compared to the bar. I can hold handstands and balance full body weight on them with no trouble, so Im going to pay more attention to videos regarding the wrist at the top. I thought having the hands back like I'm pushing the ceiling away was correct, but after seeing this info, I think I've been putting a lot of strain on my tendons and ligaments because of the weight, and rather than fighting it, I tend to find a position with them that is easier. I'm gonna check on this since wraps won't be a permanent fix. Thanks for the help.
Old 10-23-2013, 03:56 AM   #10
Roxanne McClain

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Newland View Post
If your wrists are sore, it could also be your grip. If your hands/wrists are bent too far back, especially with heavy weight - all the pressure is on the wrist. Try keeping the weight on the base of your palm and see if that helps. (it keeps the weight in line with your arm better)

As for wrist wraps, I went with the Strength Wraps from Rogue. I like how you can adjust how tight they are.

http://www.roguefitness.com/rogue-st...neon-green.php (wfs)

They also have their own website if you want other designs. (as well as explaining how and why they work)
http://www.strengthwraps.com/ (wfs)

For belts, I also picked up a belt from bestbelts. (the Athlete model. Unless you're a monster powerlifter, I don't think many people around here need the thicker 13mm belt. The 10mm is more than sufficient.) Or, I saw plenty of people at the Games using the velcro belts from Valeo.

http://www.bestbelts.net/Powerliftin...s/Athlete.aspx (wfs)

(wfs)
http://www.amazon.com/Valeo-Competit...3VQLN649&psc=1
Ok, the bar does sit above my thumb when I b go overhead, but my wrists are no straight. They fall back pretty far, and may be part of the reason my thumb was so sore yesterday to. We were working on the clean and jerk and had to do 30 for form at a decent but low weight of 65lbs. I lift in some way every day, so wrist form must no beagle to handle the work in the position I put them in. I just didn't realize how off the grip might be. Thanks for the tips.