CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 09-04-2013, 06:43 PM   #1
Roxanne McClain

Profile:
Question Another CF Convert Newbie Suggestions on WOD?

Hi. I'm your typical 32 year old mom to three boys. They are all very active and play football, baseball, basketball, and now thanks to my Crossfit obsession, they are all CF warriors too, when mom is working out.

I live in a small town and there is no CF affiliate for miles around me. The closest gym is not something I can take 3 hours out to drive to, train, and come home. Though, I wish I could. I just don't have the time. They practice or play ball every night of the week other than Wednesday, and Sunday. I'm not complaining, I love it! But- Crossfit has made me feel like I count for something besides cooking, cleaning, and taxiing these teens around. Well one is still young enough, that he loves me.

OK, so I am not trying to look like a supermodel. This is not a goal. However, kids, and life in general ( I have a 9-5 desk job) have made me fat several times over the years. Ballpark hotdogs and McDonald's drive thru are not my friends, at all. This is winded, but I want to give you an honest background, so if you have any words of wisdom, you know a little about my life. I have been on every diet out there. If its marketed, I tried it. I stuck with it long enough to get down to a mark on the scale for years, and went hungry alot.

I'm 5'4 and while pregnant with my youngest son, I hit 208lbs. That didn't last too long but most of my adult life I've strolled along between 160-180 lbs. Last year I said "enough", and started watching Jillian Michael's DVDs online and eating cleaner. I was around 160 and got down to 138 lbs on her program.

Life hit another speed bump and I wound up in Memphis, TN with my son. I was going to be driving back and forth (about 4 hours round trip) for a 4 hour a day class he was taking 5 days a week. I knew I was going to start gaining again, and I had already found CF online and admired the strong women in the games levels. They were amazing and for some reason, I thought, why not find a box to go to while I'm in Memphis for the summer.
After a few searches I found a box close to his school and made a phone call to Rob, owner of Crossfit 901. While speaking with him, we both quickly realized that Jake's school hours would not fit with their gym hours. Feeling defeated, I almost hung up when Rob asked if I would want to do personal training. What??? Um, yes please!!! Then the average price per hour came out and I knew I couldn't afford it. Rob talked to me for a few minutes, and told me he had a few calls to make and Shannon Stewart wound up telling him she had a few free hours and would work something out with me. Bless her, she was amazing! And never treated me like a cast out or less than the ideal athlete. I looked forward to every day that I got to go to the box, and found myself talking about it to everyone. Even the people that I clearly knew didn't want to hear it. LOL. Sorry, Off track.
So Shannon is a LVL 1 and she taught me the lifts, scales, we did Tabata, and I was stonger this summer than I have ever been in my life. All in 3 days a week training and eating clean.

I am now back home and have missed the WOD's and the box time so badly that I have created my own. The thing is, I really don't know what to do or how to scale for my own work outs. I've read everything online that I can but when it comes down to actually finding a WOD on CF.com and doing it, today was the first day I came close to a real work out.

Is there something out there for a woman like me that just wants to forget about weight on scales?

I don't really understand training and planning out the training. I'm just kinda floating in and out of my garage when I get time and working on random stuff since I have acquired random equipment so far. Today I didnt have to run kids to any practices so when I picked my oldest son up at 6 I let them all know I was going to try the CF.com WOD from Tuesday and we would be having leftovers. LOL. They were ok with that, since they would up out there with me most of the hour I was there.

This is what I have to use so far:
-Bella Bar- I got a good bar, since this is the bar I fell in love with at CF 901.
-10, and 45 lb bumpers. 25 lbs have been back ordered.
-9,10,15,and 25 lb cast iron KBs
-Adjustable rings that I have thrown over the rafters.
-Jump Rope - and no I can't sting together 2 DUs but I'm working on it
-PVC pipe 6' in length for warm-up
-10' climbing Rope- I don't really use it a lot, but my 8 year old wanted it and I figured for $60 it was a good price.
-a bench and a retaining wall to do box jumps. 16" and 20" approx. I need a better plyo box, since the bench teeters on me and I'm gonna face-plant soon..and the wall is not close to my other equipment. its on my back porch other side of the house.
-I have my 200m mark made on the road.

That's it, but it should be enough to get me started. No pullup bar yet, so I'm doing that on the rings, not that I can do strict or kipping, but it was a goal.

Today was our first timed WOD so I scaled "Roney" to 1 round, since my timer left, yep, my football player quit on me. Said it was too hard, but he had already practiced for 3 hours today, so who could blame him.

Roney scaled to
1 round for time of:
Run 200 meters
55 pound Thruster, 11 reps
Run 200 meters
55 pound Push press, 11 reps
Run 200 meters
35 pound Bench press, 11 reps
Time: 5:14 estimate, he said he messed up on the time a couple times..

Then I did ring dips, ring pull ups (jumping and falling back quickly), pushups the correct way), and cleans and dead lifts. I don't have a lot of weights right now so the deadlift went from 55 lb to 125 lbs 3-3-3-3 at 125. I maxed at 160 this summer, so I knew I could do the 125. and I climbed the 10' rope a few times. Not very far to climb, but it was something
I finished up my workout with 25 squats holding 25lb kb.
Then stretched out again.
I have only cleaned, snatched, and pressed the 55 lb so far. I am not crazy enough to attempt the 45 lb weights on any overhead stuff yet.

Based on this info, can anyone help me out with a better way to work out than this try it mess I have going on? Like I said, I dont want to be the most ripped woman in TN, or try to loose any weight really. I have some body fat I wouldnt mind seeing gone, but only if its replaced with muscle

F/31/125/5'4 and my goals are to get strong and healthy. I'd love to do pull ups and muscle ups one day. I can do a handstand, but no handstand pushups. Any advise for someone like me, that does it more out of fun and stress relief than trying to compete with anyone else? Don't get me wrong, I think all CF'ers must be competitive at heart, but I'm no spring chicken and don't want to hurt myself where I can't earn a living for my family. I want to measure my progress and I like a routine, so this random stuff I'm doing is frustrating me.
Thanks for any help or constructive criticism other than this is too long, because I know it is
Old 09-04-2013, 08:25 PM   #2
Blaise Davis

Profile:
Re: Another CF Convert Newbie Suggestions on WOD?

sounds like you come along way great job and don't stop now.....I would follow the crossfit.com site WODs they program it for you, if not most gyms and some other online sites you can Google post there WODs and programming everyday...if for lack of equipment don't let that stop you just add as you go, you could also substitute to make up for some things like bar thrusters for wall balls and stuff like that....as for scaling the workouts WFS http://www.crossfitbrandx.com/index.php/forums, that is a great source that post scaled versions of the crossfit.com WODs every day, there are also many good articles you can search and find on the internet and crossfit sit on how to scale workouts......if you are worried about techniques and skill you can always post videos and ask us for help we would be more than welcome.....my advice for you is follow the crossfit.com programming and use the brand x to fine the girl and scaled versions of the workout, I suggest you start a workout log and post it in the logs section if you start doing this and need some help and advice send me a message or post me in my log and I will follow you and try to help you out....also if you post in my log or message me I check mind everyday and would be happy to answer all your questions and help you in any way I could, im sure lots of other people would be too as well....hope this helps don't be scared to ask for help...much help is needed when starting crossfit.....don't give up with it and keep going you can do this
Old 09-04-2013, 08:26 PM   #3
John L Hill

Profile:

Roxanne,

The one thing that stands out to me is "Routine" or lack of. You sound as if you have the drive to train but you need a routine. Try 3 days on 1 day off or 5 days on 2 days off. I think you need to sit down and plan your workouts for the week or even a day before. There is plenty of places on the web that will give you the workouts and then sit down and say I am doing "Fran" tomorrow and I will do jumping pull ups and scale the weight to suit. You will notice an improvement with your health and weight if you are consistent in your workouts and clean eating.

Remember "Routine and Consistency"

Old 09-05-2013, 08:40 AM   #4
Michael Cook

Profile:

How about following the programming of the box that you were visiting?
Old 09-05-2013, 02:05 PM   #5
Blaise Davis

Profile:

spent a while trying to find it but finally did here is an article on how to scale a workout WFS
Attached Files
File Type: pdf CF-Relative Intensity (Scaling).pdf (449.3 KB, 166 views)
Old 09-05-2013, 02:44 PM   #6
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:

one other thing you may consider is paying a coach to do a program for you. combine with some online coaching and a check in once a month or two months. if you like the coach you were using you might check into that as an option. go in, discuss goals, have them measure you, weigh you, body fat, discuss diet, etc. perhaps do some testing while there for some benchmarks of strength, endurance, etc, and find whatever things they think you should focus on in the way of mobility, imbalances, and such. let them know exactly how much time you have each day/week, exactly what equipment you have, and what your specific goals are. then they can come up with a program for you. when or if you have questions or need to make an adjustment you can email or call them. every two or three months go back in and test again, update goals, etc. this works well for many people as it provides motivation, accountability, good programming.
Old 09-06-2013, 03:53 AM   #7
Roxanne McClain

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John L Hill View Post
Roxanne,

The one thing that stands out to me is "Routine" or lack of. You sound as if you have the drive to train but you need a routine. Try 3 days on 1 day off or 5 days on 2 days off. I think you need to sit down and plan your workouts for the week or even a day before. There is plenty of places on the web that will give you the workouts and then sit down and say I am doing "Fran" tomorrow and I will do jumping pull ups and scale the weight to suit. You will notice an improvement with your health and weight if you are consistent in your workouts and clean eating.

Remember "Routine and Consistency"

John, you are right. Not having a routine planned out for me has hurt my workouts. I have the clean eating plan down, but once I get to the garage to work, there is no plan. I am going to work on that this weekend and try to plan it around the kids schedules and stick with it. Thanks
Old 09-06-2013, 04:04 AM   #8
Roxanne McClain

Profile:

Blaise- This scaling pdf is great. Thanks a lot. I'm going to do my homework on it and try to find a consistent routine to start using based on what I have to work with now. Thanks so much for your help and taking the time to find this and post for me. I haven't saw this one before, and I feel like I spend more time crawling through CF.com and reading than working lately. I have the Beginner's Routine by Glassman that I was thinking of starting on, and adding to for areas I'm already pretty good at. Endurance is not my strongest point, so the extra runs would help. I like the BrandX site too. That seams geared more towards someone like me
Old 09-06-2013, 04:09 AM   #9
Roxanne McClain

Profile:

Andrew, I think 901 is on the whiteboard site, and I am going to work with a few of the CF'ers on the site and go from there. I know that accountability is something that helps me in everything I do, so your right when it it comes to having to check in with a coach or a team mate, I would be sure I made the time for that WOD instead of saying, I'll start up again tomorrow.
Old 09-06-2013, 07:52 AM   #10
Blaise Davis

Profile:

don't forget to log and keep us posted with all your awesome work you will do