CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 05-08-2009, 11:45 PM   #1
Bryant Yee

Profile:
Tendonitis?

Hi all,

Just wanted to gather your opinion on my latest "injury."

Basically, about 2 weeks ago, I was training in a Muay Thai style martial arts. I used to train in this style for years, but I took a long hiatus. They were closing down the gym and asked me to come back for the last stand. Naturally, I was put in the ring over and over again. Aside from the usual whacking I took, I did fine. However, at the end of class, I was just standing there and I felt a huge sharp pain under my knee cap (anterior). So much so where I felt like I had to squat to relieve the pain.

I was 5 weeks out from going to military training, so that scared the sh*t out of me. I didn't run the whole week (ok so I did do some WODs b/c I could resist). I had to take a PFT last wknd, and I actually ran my best time ever (18:30, with a heavily taped home made tendinitis band). However, I STILL HAVE PAIN under my knee cap when i lock my joint out. Sometimes it's there, sometimes it's not. Mainly, it occurs sharpest when I'm sitting in a chair and basically doing a leg extension with the pain coming when my leg is locked out. I still think I have a slight limp, but maybe not. Explosive exercises hurt a little bit...like push presses etc...anything where I have to jump...

Honestly, I was thinking to go see my doc, but appointments are all booked up. I ship in 3 weeks for training. I plan to stop running altogether for the next 3 weeks and doing things like swimming/stationary bike for the cardio. From what I hear and read, it's knee tendonitis. A buddy's dad, who's a doc (albeit kidney doc but whatever), told me he thinks its just some bruising and slight tendonitis in the knee (apparently, I might have took a few glancing shots to the knee). My mom basically told me I'm being a puss and exaggerating the injury mentally, ha. I don't know, I don't think I'm imagining the symtoms, but I have definitely psyched myself into and out of injuries in the past...My worst fear is that its something like a cartiledge and meniscus tear...guess i really can't figure that out without an MRI...

What do you all think? Suck it up? Stretch, be careful, etc.? Go to ER immediately, ie it could be serious? Thanks for the help?
Old 05-09-2009, 12:11 AM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: Tendonitis?

Don't think it's tendonitis.

See if you can feel around in your hips, upper legs, and lower legs for any tight muscles. Could be hammies, IT band, quads, other muscles in the hip, etc.

Find them and then massage/foam roll/tennis ball them away.

Ice if there's any swelling... heck, if it's patella ice after any exercise.

Report back in a couple days if there's any improvement or anything else.

If you were to see a doc you should seen an ortho.
Old 05-09-2009, 09:40 AM   #3
Bryant Yee

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
Don't think it's tendonitis.

See if you can feel around in your hips, upper legs, and lower legs for any tight muscles. Could be hammies, IT band, quads, other muscles in the hip, etc.

Find them and then massage/foam roll/tennis ball them away.

Ice if there's any swelling... heck, if it's patella ice after any exercise.

Report back in a couple days if there's any improvement or anything else.

If you were to see a doc you should seen an ortho.
Thanks Steven. Just curious, what makes you think it's not tendinitis? I don't quite feel any tightness in the other leg muscles (or more tight than they already always are...). But there is an unexplainable weird feeling in my hurt knee's quad going on...

I'll keep it going with the icing, and try the tennis ball massage. Problem is, I don't have to go see an orthos...all my docs are booked up. Hopefully this just gets better...I doubt this is anything that serious requiring surgery...like if i tore my meniscus or something.
Old 05-09-2009, 11:07 AM   #4
Steven Low

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryant Yee View Post
Thanks Steven. Just curious, what makes you think it's not tendinitis? I don't quite feel any tightness in the other leg muscles (or more tight than they already always are...). But there is an unexplainable weird feeling in my hurt knee's quad going on...

I'll keep it going with the icing, and try the tennis ball massage. Problem is, I don't have to go see an orthos...all my docs are booked up. Hopefully this just gets better...I doubt this is anything that serious requiring surgery...like if i tore my meniscus or something.
In the quad, eh?

You didn't say that in your original post.... only thing you said was that there was pain under your patella which is not consistent with tendonitis.

Tendonitis is generally overuse anyway, and not acquired from one session acutely. If you had been working hard, it's possible that the Muay Thai aggravated it somewhat, but I still wouldn't think that is the case. Could just be the bruise though, eh.

Can you upload a picture of where it hurts? And describe if it's primarily bone/tendon/muscle/etc. + a more comprehensive explanation of what exercises hurt?
Old 05-09-2009, 11:48 AM   #5
Bryant Yee

Profile:

Quote:
In the quad, eh?

You didn't say that in your original post.... only thing you said was that there was pain under your patella which is not consistent with tendonitis.

Tendonitis is generally overuse anyway, and not acquired from one session acutely. If you had been working hard, it's possible that the Muay Thai aggravated it somewhat, but I still wouldn't think that is the case. Could just be the bruise though, eh.

Can you upload a picture of where it hurts? And describe if it's primarily bone/tendon/muscle/etc. + a more comprehensive explanation of what exercises hurt?
Hmm, well when you mentioned tightness in the quad, I do notice that there is a weird feeling as I squat...maybe like it's weaker. I honestly could just be imagining that, and its definitely not significant, and it does not hurt at all...

Sorry, don't have a camera otherwise I'd put up some pics...

I'll try to explain in more detail. The pain is a sharp pain right under my kneecap in the front. I can't tell if it's tendon, bone, or what, but it's certainly not muscle pain. I don't recall ever having tendon pain, so I'm not sure if this is that either. There used to be bruising on the inside of my leg from getting whacked but that pretty much went away, with just a little tenderness to the touch; however, this is NOT my main complaint. I think there is still some swelling in the front of my knee...again right under the knee cap.

The pain occurs if I do anything like aggressively jumping. It used to hurt when I just jumped, but that has since gone away. It hurts if I do a push press. Again, that jumping motion with my leg locked out brings the pain. Lastly, the pain is accentuated if I were to sit in a chair and simply extend my leg. When doing this exercise, I can really pinpoint the pain right below my knee cap. With everything else I am fine.

I have been training hard in general, but certainly not overboard or I'm sure not any more than most people here. I.e. just the WOD and maybe a 3 mile run before hand. The Muay Thai was definitely intense just from the physical contact. Anyways, hope I am more clear. Thanks for your help!
Old 05-09-2009, 11:55 AM   #6
Steven Low

Profile:

It doesn't have to be a pic of yourself.... just google one and mark it.

It sounds like some sort of bone bruise or maybe subluxation (if the kneecap moved a lot when your leg was hit) where the patella might have bumped into your femoral articular cartilage or fatty tissue aggravating the area.
Old 05-09-2009, 12:23 PM   #7
Bryant Yee

Profile:

Quote:
It doesn't have to be a pic of yourself.... just google one and mark it.

It sounds like some sort of bone bruise or maybe subluxation (if the kneecap moved a lot when your leg was hit) where the patella might have bumped into your femoral articular cartilage or fatty tissue aggravating the area.
Ok, I uploaded a picture. Sorry, I don't know how to mark the pic... The pain is sharp and directly below the word patella. What I cannot target is if it's located in that white tendon connecting the patella to the tibia, or deeper within the joint than that....ie. something happened in between the tibia and femur...regardless all the pain is towards the front right towards that patella tendon.

It's hard to think bruising, because I know what bad bruises are, and this definitely feels different than the pain from bruising. But then again, this is the first time I've really had any problems with my knee...

Subluxation? is that really bad? I know when I dislocated and subluxated my shoulder I knew it immediately. I also know that I needed surgery on those injuries. Except for the sharp pain just standing there, I certainly could not pin point any moment of traumatic pain during the sparring. Maybe it's something with that aggravationn you were talking about...

There is a few certain things I know. It has gotten better over the weeks, and I certainly don't feel "out of commission." But it does feel painful enough, where I know I couldn't perform at my best. Specifically, running 5 miles right now wouldn't cause me pain; Running an obstacle course right now in under 2 minutes=pain.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	knee anatomy.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	181.5 KB
ID:	4158  
Old 05-09-2009, 01:32 PM   #8
Steven Low

Profile:

There's swelling in the area?

I dunno if your patella or area got smashed it's likely that you had something happen there especially if the pain is still there. Whether it's a bone bruise, chipped articular cartilage, minor subluxing, etc. Could really be anything... too hard to tell IMO esp. since I'm not a med professional and this is the INternet.

Definitely does NOT sound like tendonitis at all.

It's getting better which is a good sign..., but if you're still worried you should see an ortho. Like seriously. Especially since you're shipping out soon.