CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 04-17-2009, 07:54 AM   #1
Chris Roe

Profile:
tendonitis

been a month and doesnt go away. i stopped doing muscle ups thats where the pain began. but now it seems to get aggrivated very easily. any help appreciated

SSG Chris Roe
56 SBCT
Old 04-17-2009, 08:00 AM   #2
Camille Lore

Profile:
Re: tendonitis

Where is it? Elbows?

Here's what worked for me:
Aleve, not Advil.
Fish oil.
Rest it! No gripping.
Massage the area with a golf/tennis ball- hard! You'll find tender spots.
Take a naked ice cube and rub it where you've been having pain.

Took about 2 weeks for mine to go away with all of these treatments.
Tried to get rid of mine for months and couldn't until I added the ice cube and tennis/golf balls.

For zoning related questions, please email me at Camille at CrossFit.com
Old 04-17-2009, 09:29 AM   #3
Steven Low

Profile:

1. Rest. Especially if it's JUST mild overuse. If it's chronic then pure rest may not help.
2. Ice after any use & when sore. 15-30 mins per sessions for couple times a day. Direct ice massage ON the skin works the best.
3. Light stretch, not painful for agonists; strengthen antagonists. So stretch flexors, strengthen extensors *until* pain subsides (medial epicondylitis). Then strengthen everything (my pref = rice bucket)
4. Self massage... cross friction and myofascial release the whole area inbetween both joints that surround it (shoulder to wrist for medial epicondlyitis; ankle-hip for something knee; etc.). As much as possible... at least 30 mins a day if not more. Also, tennis ball/golf ball areas & foam roll
5. Anti-inflammatories/NSAIDs. Fish oil is a good one.
6. Stay away from painful exercises. Period. It hurts, don't do them. Should be obvious but people don't listen.
7. Light eccentric exercises tend to help ESPECIALLY if the muscle(s) aggravated cannot smoothly do it.
8. + joint/cartilage health supplements like glucosamine & chondroin sulfate, MSM, shark, etc. Might be a good idea to start eating the cartilage and tendons off your meat too.
Old 04-17-2009, 09:58 AM   #4
Chris Roe

Profile:

yes elbows... thank you both ill give it all a try.
Old 04-17-2009, 10:03 AM   #5
Mark Martinez

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
1. Rest. Especially if it's JUST mild overuse. If it's chronic then pure rest may not help.
2. Ice after any use & when sore. 15-30 mins per sessions for couple times a day. Direct ice massage ON the skin works the best.
3. Light stretch, not painful for agonists; strengthen antagonists. So stretch flexors, strengthen extensors *until* pain subsides (medial epicondylitis). Then strengthen everything (my pref = rice bucket)
4. Self massage... cross friction and myofascial release the whole area inbetween both joints that surround it (shoulder to wrist for medial epicondlyitis; ankle-hip for something knee; etc.). As much as possible... at least 30 mins a day if not more. Also, tennis ball/golf ball areas & foam roll
5. Anti-inflammatories/NSAIDs. Fish oil is a good one.
6. Stay away from painful exercises. Period. It hurts, don't do them. Should be obvious but people don't listen.
7. Light eccentric exercises tend to help ESPECIALLY if the muscle(s) aggravated cannot smoothly do it.
8. + joint/cartilage health supplements like glucosamine & chondroin sulfate, MSM, shark, etc. Might be a good idea to start eating the cartilage and tendons off your meat too.
I think I hurt myself doing hang cleans this week. It actually got worse with yesterday's WOD when I cleaned the bar to rack position for PP's. Feels like tennis elbow pain. It's mostly lateral epicondylar or maybe capitellar pain with weakend grip especially upon flexion at ~90 degrees with weight (e.g. glass of water). Will follow advice in here.

I'm also feeling right patellar pain TTT and when running. Pain is isolated on the patella's base supero-medio aspect. Pain subsides with rest but is easily re-aggravated.

On top of that, my calves are really sore. Probably from trying to do POSE method. I recently switched from Nike Shox to Puma K-Streets. It's going to take time for me to get used to it. Now, I'm hobbling around my house like Ozzy Osbourne...

I'm going to see my primary care provider next week.
Old 04-17-2009, 11:40 AM   #6
Steven Low

Profile:

Quote:
I think I hurt myself doing hang cleans this week. It actually got worse with yesterday's WOD when I cleaned the bar to rack position for PP's. Feels like tennis elbow pain. It's mostly lateral epicondylar or maybe capitellar pain with weakend grip especially upon flexion at ~90 degrees with weight (e.g. glass of water). Will follow advice in here.
This is classic pain which is caused by bending your arms too early in the 2nd pull.

Quote:
I'm also feeling right patellar pain TTT and when running. Pain is isolated on the patella's base supero-medio aspect. Pain subsides with rest but is easily re-aggravated.
Hmmm.. may be patellofemoral syndrome. Hard to tell b/c not enough info.

Your hamstrings weak compared to your quads too, yes?

Quote:
On top of that, my calves are really sore. Probably from trying to do POSE method. I recently switched from Nike Shox to Puma K-Streets. It's going to take time for me to get used to it. Now, I'm hobbling around my house like Ozzy Osbourne...
If you run heel-toe you're gonna have problems with the calves (from pushing off) and/or possibly shin splints as well (from preventing the foot from slapping the ground).

Try some barefoot jogging in a field... will help fix up your form real fast. DO NOT OVERDO POSE ESPECIALLY STARTING. Lots of technique work... no long runs until you have it down.
Old 04-17-2009, 01:13 PM   #7
Mark Martinez

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
This is classic pain which is caused by bending your arms too early in the 2nd pull.

Hmmm.. may be patellofemoral syndrome. Hard to tell b/c not enough info.

Your hamstrings weak compared to your quads too, yes?

If you run heel-toe you're gonna have problems with the calves (from pushing off) and/or possibly shin splints as well (from preventing the foot from slapping the ground).

Try some barefoot jogging in a field... will help fix up your form real fast. DO NOT OVERDO POSE ESPECIALLY STARTING. Lots of technique work... no long runs until you have it down.
I think you're right about the second pull and you're spot on with my hamstrings being weak vs my quads. I'm working on it though.

I've been working my POSE method for a few months coachless. Usually, I only run a max of 5k. I find it very hard and it takes a lot of discipline out of me. In the beginning, I experienced mild medial shin pain. Not so much anymore. I do try to land on my mid/forefoot. It usually degrades to an almost flat landing and then eventually heel to toe. I reset when I remember to. Is it possible switching to racing flats has caused me to land more mid/forefoot than before, thus increasing stress on calves?
Old 04-17-2009, 01:27 PM   #8
Camille Lore

Profile:

Barefoot running will help a lot.

Old 04-19-2009, 10:39 AM   #9
Mark Martinez

Profile:

One day, I'll get some Vibrams or a cheap pair of surf shoes. I can't stand the pads of my feet hitting grass and pebbles. What can I say? I have sensitive feet...

I do a lot of my running on an inside track. Management might look down on bare feet running.

Last edited by Mark Martinez : 04-19-2009 at 10:41 AM. Reason: typo and add 2nd para
Old 04-19-2009, 12:04 PM   #10
Camille Lore

Profile:

I ran barefoot until I kept hitting the little pebbles they use for the roads in winter. That hurts! VFF definitely took care of that. Maybe go to Payless and see what thin-soled shoes they have?