CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 02-24-2007, 08:31 PM   #1
James Besenyei

Profile:
I'm just curious what the experts here at CorssPit think is going to happen this coming weekend? Will Couture make a successful comeback against Sylvia? How will Hughes and Franklin fare? I'm not a MMA practitioner, so I'm interested to hear what those involved in the sport think is gonna happen. Thanks in advance for your replies.

--Jim.
Old 02-25-2007, 03:13 AM   #2
Charlie Jackson

Profile:
Randy will get knocked out. Hughes will GnP to a unanimous decision. Franklin will win by knockout.
Old 02-25-2007, 10:26 AM   #3
James Besenyei

Profile:
Charlie,
That's exactly why I posted this question. Most of my friends and acquaintances who are fans of UFC (only two of whom are even involved in martial arts) believe that Randy is going to wear Sylvia down and punish him on the ground; that Hughes is going to lose; and that Franklin will indeed win by knockout. Their rationale for Couture winning is that Sylvia really is playing it too safe in his fights, however Randy had so much trouble with the big heavyweights before I can't see that much changing, with the exception of him not being in the ring for awhile and actually being older...none of which bodes well for a comeback.

--Jim.
Old 02-25-2007, 06:05 PM   #4
Paul Alvarez

Profile:
Location: Long Beach for school, Maui and San Jose are home  CA
Im a huge fight fan, not yet a practitioner, but I think I will throw in my 2 cents since I just got back from vegas and won every bet I placed for underdogs(diaz, trigg, hendo) so im still feeling really good. but I will agree with charlie and hughes needs to change his style from wrestling to gnp, lol.
Old 02-25-2007, 06:26 PM   #5
James Besenyei

Profile:
Paul!!! That's a good record in Vegas, last time I was there I lost every bet I placed and didn't even break even on the slots!! With your comment in mind, can Hughes be successful with a GnP approach, or will he always revert back to his wrestling background?
Old 02-25-2007, 07:36 PM   #6
Becca Borawski

Profile:
Sylvia is a bad match up for Couture - Randy typically gets people down by punching his way in close - I think he's going to have a hard time doing that with Tim Sylvia and his 8 foot long arms! Plus, Couture has been training with the likes of Wes Sims, Gan McGee, Dan Christensen, etc for this fight -- and while yeah, they may be big guys, they're no where near the skill level of Tim Sylvia.
Old 02-25-2007, 10:00 PM   #7
William Hunter

Profile:
I think Franklin's opponent Jason MacDonald has looked pretty strong the last two times out. Anyone out there giving him a chance? What about Franklin's mental status after one of the most vicious beatdowns I've ever seen?

I agree that Randy is a longshot, though it'd be great if he proved me wrong...

On second thought, it might be better to see Crocop chop Sylvia down to size with some nasty leg kicks.
Old 02-26-2007, 05:48 AM   #8
Aidan O Brien

Profile:
For the Randy/Tim match I can see Randy winning it, but only really in one scenario and only if Tim makes a mistake. I can see Tim winning it 7 or 8 times out of 10 though….so unless everything goes right for Randy and wrong for Tim I feel Tim will still be wearing his belt to bed.

For Hughes, people always want him to win, but they never really think logically about his opponents. Lytle has a decent shot to beat Hughes but once again I feel that is mostly in a very specific fight, and not one the Hughes will normally go for. If Lytle has sense ( which he does ) he has spent that last 8 weeks sprawling because he is more than a good enough boxer to tag Hughes on the chin and make him feel it. Even on the ground he is good and loves the choke, but unless he is a lot stronger these days when Hughes gets him down he should be able to control him easily enough. Lytle will be going for subs from his back I think. I see Hughes winning this, though am a fan of Chris and will be cheering for him ( unusual for me to be honest, as I like Matt and normally cheer for him but Chris has been my boy ever since the Lawlor fight! )

Franklin is, in my mind, the foil for MacDonald. He's good on the ground, better standing up, he's cool and calm and fights with a plan. Herman or Leben are not on Franklin's level, nowhere near it. This is a proper test for MacDonald in the UFC and I can see him getting knocked out.
Old 02-26-2007, 05:47 PM   #9
Ted Wu

Profile:
randy's gonna lose, which will be good, cuz i wanna see crocop woop on tim really really badly
Old 02-28-2007, 01:40 PM   #10
Dan Ensing

Profile:
Sylvia by decision over Couture
Tim will use his jab to keep Randy at bay. Also, Tim's sprawl defense will further cause issues. But, Randy will score enough to win on one judge's card.

Hughes by sub over Lytle
Matt will take Chris down, pass to half-guard, and sub with a Kimura. Textbook Hughes. However, I predict Matt will show better standup than in the past.

Franklin by knockout over MacDonald
This fight will go two rounds and Rich will KO Jason. If Jason was a better striker I'd be curious to see how Rich's nose holds up. Jason will try and take this to the ground. However, Rich is a pretty good grappler and will keep this standing up.

Dan