CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 05-14-2007, 09:06 PM   #21
Stephen Croushore

Profile:
I agree with Grant. Ranger School is one big suck, no matter what. I was in Ranger Batt from 91-94 and was in the best shape of my life. It can't hurt to prepare, but like he said, after awhile your gas begins to run out from lack of sleep and one meal a day. Your body begins to break down very quickly under those circumstances.

Toughening up your feet, unfortunately, requires you to walk them until blistered and bloody so that callouses build up where the blisters were.

My squad leader was real big on humping a ruck. I would say, from my experience, that building up your lower back and glutes would be the key. Our legs were already built up from running, but that pack sits right on the lumbar region (ALICE pack, at least). It would be beneficial to have a good gluteus max "shelf" to rest the weight of the pack on rather than have the weight of the pack on your shoulders. The straps used to dig into my brachial plexus tie-in area so bad my arms were almost useless after a good haul. I sometimes could hardly lift up my weapon. Sorry this was so long, but just my $0.02.
Old 05-24-2007, 09:19 PM   #22
Samuel Redwine

Profile:
Rucking is important. Though I'm surprised the Rangers only use 60lb., the Marine Corps Combat Training Battalion for non-infantry has 70+lb marches, including for the women. I had an ILBE strap break and ended up with brachial plexus palsy.
Old 05-25-2007, 03:22 PM   #23
Stephen Croushore

Profile:
Samuel,

You are partly correct. The 60 lbs was the "benchmark", but add in ammo, PRC batteries, and the like....oh, I forgot,...the mortar casings filled with concrete to make it more "hooah"...well you get the picture. I remember many times having to koala bear-hug a tree when rucked up and shimmy up to get to a standing position. Army standard for 12 mi. roadmarch was 3 hrs. We'd complete them usu. @ 2:15 or so (give or take 5 min.). Not trying to get into a "who's tougher" contest, just trying to clarify.
Old 05-29-2007, 11:43 PM   #24
Samuel Redwine

Profile:
Pardon me, but the number just seemed rather low. Of course, one thing I have heard is that you in the Army don't wear flak jackets on marches, which seemed wrong to me. Of course, I'm talking about the low end of the totem pole in the Corps. I know the infantry, and recon guys have higher standards, but I don't want to know theirs.
Old 05-30-2007, 03:07 AM   #25
John McBrien

Profile:
I appreciate all the comments especially from those of you who have spent time in Rangers or working as part of SOF - the feedback is great!
Old 05-30-2007, 07:56 AM   #26
Joey Powell

Profile:
Seriously, if you are trying to equate support Marines with Rangers becuase of your precieved notions of ruck weight...just stop.

I have heard from a Marine MP that Marine basic training was the equivilant of Ranger School...just stop.

At the Keesler AFB, where Marine Weather guys go to get trained up on MOS work, and where CCT candidates go through ATC, there was a base-wide competition.

Push-ups
sit-ups
Pull-ups
Run
etc.

On the bus the Marines were talking trash, my guys just said we were Cooks.

We walked away with all individual event trophies and group trophies.

The Marines' did not seem to have as much to say on the bus ride back.

It is the training, not the Service.

SOF and support Marines are not even close to the same world. However, I do love the Corps.

Old 05-30-2007, 12:08 PM   #27
John McBrien

Profile:
Chuck, I sent you a PM. Yael recommended I talk to you because you helped her ex get ready for SF selection.

John

(Message edited by jwallace on May 30, 2007)
Old 05-30-2007, 12:35 PM   #28
Jeff Bearden

Profile:
John,

Here's a little something that might help or at least give you some ideas.
Attached Files
File Type: doc Preparing for SFAS.doc (42.0 KB, 333 views)
Old 05-30-2007, 06:40 PM   #29
John McBrien

Profile:
Jeff,

That is a great resource - I especially like that the ARI provides success rates and how they're correlated to PT scores. Thanks for the help.