CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 01-30-2007, 08:19 AM   #1
Randy Little

Profile:
Can someone explain again how to Grease the Groove? If I can almost do 2 pull-ups max should I do 1 several times a day? Or should I try and do as many as possible several times per day?
Thanks in advance.
Old 01-30-2007, 08:35 AM   #2
Nick Cruz

Profile:
Randy, You're going to want to do as many as possible as many times per day as you can. Basically, set up a bar somewhere that you frequently walk by. Or if you have a ledge, door frame, anything that you can grip and pull up on, use that. Every time you walk by it throw up as many pullups as possible. Shoot for a number, say 5, to begin with. Then, pullup however possible ( strict, jumping etc). Once you can get to 5, then set a goal for 10 and so on and so forth. Your groove should be sufficiently greased.

There are several great articles out there that talk about this method. For the article (s), do a board search for "grease the groove"
Old 01-30-2007, 08:36 AM   #3
Brad Davis

Profile:
I'll defer to the more experienced folks, but I recommend caution. You'd almost be maxing out on an exercise (you can only do 2, so I assume you'd try 1 each time) multiple times per day, many days per week. You need a good warmup before maxing out on anything or you're asking for an injury.

I'm still a little hot under the collar because I was up to a fair number of dead hang pullups and decided to start GTG and learn kipping. The very first day (Dec. 11), I did something to my shoulder trying to learn kipping after one of my GTG sessions. That was almost 2 months ago and I still can't do any upper body work. I take responsibility for my error (is there another option?!), but I don't think this kind of cautionary note occurs enough when folks ask questions like you just did.

(Message edited by dbradd on January 30, 2007)
Old 01-30-2007, 10:10 AM   #4
Bill Russell

Profile:
Randy,

Working on negatives helped me a lot when I could only do 1 good pullup at a time.

Jump to the up position then slowly lower yourself to a full dead hang position. GTG these by doing sets of 2-3 reps of these throughout the day. Then begin to mix in a single dead hang pullup after maybe every 4 or 5 sets of jumping.

I hope this helps.
Old 01-30-2007, 06:09 PM   #5
Steven Low

Profile:
Controlled negatives multiple times a day *WILL* make you sore. Start gradually and build up the volume. Eventually you will be doing submaximal loads of pullups (60-80% approximately). So if you can do 5 max do 3-4.
Old 01-30-2007, 06:30 PM   #6
Edward D. Friedman

Profile:
I think Pavel's simple statement of GTG is:
"As heavy as possible, as often as possible, while remaining as fresh as possible."
Old 01-30-2007, 08:11 PM   #7
Lynne Pitts

Profile:
Moving to Fitness
Old 01-31-2007, 01:48 AM   #8
Gorm Laursen

Profile:
In the case of being able to do 2 rep, you only have a choice of doing either none, 1 or 2 reps. I'd go for the last two options. Said in other words: Do small sets but vary them once in a while. I often do either sets of 3, 5 or 10 during they day, depending on how busy you are (5 reps)/if a sibbling comes by to tickle you (3 reps)/the coffee's on (10 reps) ... etc. My max number first started to rise when I began on occasional 10 rep sets. So 5 isn't necessarily the magic number.

I actually fought a very hard battle getting to my first pullup, so you might wanna try this method that got my pullup-numbers rising dramatically within a week:

Get into the top position of a pullup (jump/pull/use a chair/fly/whatever) and hang there statically for 5 secs. Then lower yourself (i.e. doing a 'negative') slowly again on the count of 5. Repeat 5 times. Do it 5 times a day. I'm currently employing the same method on handstand pushups, and I'm aaaaaalmoooooost there.
Old 01-31-2007, 05:50 AM   #9
Jeff Bearden

Profile:
Randy,

Here's a link to an article by Stew Smith. He's listed in the "Friends of Crossfit". Link is work/family safe.

http://www.stewsmith.com/linkpages/pulluppush.htm