CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 03-07-2007, 08:31 AM   #21
Pavel Saenz

Profile:
Randy is simply AWESOME.
Old 03-08-2007, 08:35 AM   #22
Aidan O Brien

Profile:
Remember guys, Cro-Cop is not exactly a Gracie on the ground and Randy has can shoot all day....eventually Cro-Cop will end up on his back in that fight.
Old 03-08-2007, 11:34 AM   #23
Daniel Schmieding

Profile:
First of all, Bas Rutten did come back, and has fought recently.

Second of all, Tim Sylvia was something like 25-2 coming into this fight. He might have more boring rounds than exciting rounds, but you have to be a little off-balanced yourself to think he's not a great fighter.

Third, let's not revive any ridiculous insights into the training of these genetic freaks. Most of them barely need to weight train in the first place. We could sit around all day saying how Crossfit would be a great program for these fighters. But then we'd have to eat our words, considering the last time I saw BJ Penn was on his back, gassed, injured, and getting slammed with Matt's elbows. How's that for a Crossfit endorsement?

Oh, and fourth, because I can: Cro-Cop is a beast, and Randy doesn't have the best luck with kicks. But he sure looked like a new fighter this time around, so I'm hoping for a solid fight.
Old 03-08-2007, 02:21 PM   #24
Becca Borawski

Profile:
Was BJ even doing anything resembling CrossFit training lately? I was under the impression he was not.

And to say that these guys rely on their genetics and barely need to weight train is an insult to the athletes and the amount of work they put into their sport. I have seen a variety of fighters (including Randy Couture, Matt Lindland, Dan Henderson, Bas Rutten, Rulon Gardner, etc) training first hand -- and I can assure you they bust their a**es. If you read my CrossFit Journal article from a couple months ago, you can read exactly what Dan Henderson does to prepare for a fight. And if you buy the Team Quest Strength & Conditioning DVD or the Team Quest Handbook you can find the guidelines that all the fighters followed, including Randy when he was part of the Team. They do train plenty and it's no secret what they do.
Old 03-08-2007, 03:22 PM   #25
Kevin Burns

Profile:
Yeah i saw an interview where BJ said he really didn't even train that hard anymore cause he was getting burned out.

Highly doubtful he was doing crossfit if he felt that way.
Old 03-08-2007, 06:22 PM   #26
Yael Grauer

Profile:
Becca nails it again. These guys work their tails off...and as far as I'm concerned win or lose they deserve respect for even getting in the ring in the first place.
Old 03-09-2007, 02:06 PM   #27
Peter Queen

Profile:
"These guys work their tails off...and as far as I'm concerned win or lose they deserve respect for even getting in the ring in the first place."

Ditto!:highfive:

Randy is still my man! Another feather in the cap for the 40 and over crowd.
:banana:
Old 03-09-2007, 07:38 PM   #28
Garry Berryhill

Profile:
I wonder if there's something to the current rash of successes by fighters in their mid-thirties and later. (Remember that Archie Moore was called "Ancient Archie" by that age.)

My guess is that fighters tend to come to combat sports later than they did back in the 20th century and have less ring age built up. That means fewer shots to the head and more robust balance centers in the brain, which translates to more longevity.

Take that however you like, I'm no academic. :-)
Old 03-09-2007, 11:04 PM   #29
Jeff Bearden

Profile:
Peter,

I concur with the over 40 thing. Randy's my hero. 40 is the new 30 ya know. I just wish I could fight like that and be in as great of shape as he seems to be. Just for a little branch rivalry....Randy WAS in the Army and if we would have had the Combatives program then like we do now I can only imagine what kind of fighter he would be. LOL