CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 09-02-2004, 11:16 AM   #1
Paul Symes

Profile:
Last December I twisted my pelvis deadlifting. This was the second time I'd hurt my back deadlifting. It never felt right, just seemed like the floor was too far away and I could never get my teeth into the lift.

It's strange because I've heard it said that tall people should be good deadlifters and find squatting difficult but I'm the other way round, squatting feels very natural to me.

So I can't see myself ever deadlifting again.

Any advice about alternative exercises when the WOD says deadlift?

I was thinking of doing dumbell deadlift or maybe buy a trap bar, any thoughts?
Old 09-02-2004, 01:19 PM   #2
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Paul-

The alternative you mention are good but they tend to remove much of the posterior chain (glutes, hammies, spinal erectors) involvement. It sounds like there is a structural issue here beyond being tall. I would tinker with the movement, keeping things light and really tyring to figure out what is happening. There may be some recruitment issues with either the lateral rotators of the leg or the spinal errectors. If you can get me some video of your form that would be very helpfull as well.

Robb
Old 09-02-2004, 06:17 PM   #3
Mike Yukish

Profile:
Paul, sorry to hear it. Deadlifting is very important to me, because it is so functional. What could be more functional than to bend over and pick up something heavy?

I hope you'll spend a little effort to sort out the problem, rather than discard it. I'm almost 6' 4", and am OK with it.

That being said, do you what have to do to stay healthy.
Old 09-03-2004, 04:30 AM   #4
Paul Symes

Profile:
Thanks for the advice

This is how I see it. I've now injured my back twice deadlifting, both times was with low weight, trying to get the technique right, I can't do it even with a broomstick, it just feels wrong.

I know it's a rewarding lift to do which is why I persisted with it. But I think if I read on an internet forum someone saying that they'd hurt there back three times deadlifting, I would be inclined to ask myself why they didn't get the message the first or second time so I don't want to be that person

Maybe I could try rack pulls or pull-throughs, how about good mornings?

I'm very warely of trying it again. I think the injury I have with me now could be permanent but one I can minimise, I think I'd be stupid to deadlift again, as much as I'd like to

Paul
Old 09-03-2004, 05:55 AM   #5
Brian Hand

Profile:

Paul, I am in the minority as a weak fan of the deadlift (most people think it's great). But even I think you ought to figure out what is going on that you aren't even comfortable with light weights in that exercise. If you can't deadlift light weights comfortably, you probably can't do olympic lifts, kettlebells, etc. etc.

This is a stab in the dark but I'd check two things:
(1) Insufficient flexibility to assume a flat-backed low position - harder for taller people.
(2) Side to side imbalance - uneven flexibility or strength left to right - this is very common, causes the twisting type injury you mention. Can be corrected by step ups, lunges, etc.

Inline lunges - keeping both feet aligned on a line on the floor - are one good way to spot these problems, and correct them. Try the inline lunge with the bare olympic bar in the overhead position, even better.

I think you are right to give up the deadlifts until you feel more comfortable with them.