CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 08-10-2011, 05:05 PM   #1
Brandon Boren

Profile:
Brand New to CrossFit

So I'm going off to the University of Arkansas this next week (17th) and I decided I want to live healthy.

I'm tired of being on the heavy side, and waking up with no energy, so I decided to change.

I guess I'm posting this to boost my self-confidence, and on top of that, would love some any tips, pointers, or anything some of you might want to offer me.

I'm 5'9-5'10 and around 230-240.

Goal over 12 months:

~Get down to the 180-200 range
~Have a lot of energy to go out and do things rather then being home-bound and tired ALL the time.

Hope to meet anyone who is in the Fayetteville Arkansas (:

Last edited by Brandon Boren : 08-10-2011 at 05:13 PM.
Old 08-11-2011, 06:49 AM   #2
Dustin Standel

Profile:
Re: Brand New to CrossFit

Find a GOOD XFit affiliate. Start by looking here

I assume you will be living in the dorms and eating at the galley on campus a lot so try to eat more meat, veggies, and fruits and avoid grains, cereals to the best extent possible. Pizza is bad, beer is bad, especially underage.

Remember though, you you live healthy and eat healthy because you want to enjoy life - don't become draconian on yourself so you hate your life because you aren't having fun and enjoying your life and friends. A large part of success at college comes with finding ways to balance working (a job and studying) and having a life. A moderate amount of bad stuff isn't going to hurt you.

Energy: don't use energy drinks - ever!
My Workout Log Box Jump-36"; Deadlift-335; Clean and Jerk-150; Split Jerk-155; Weighted Pullup-20; Squat-245; Press-140; Bench-210; 3RM Thruster-145; DT 22:43 (105#)
Old 08-11-2011, 08:23 AM   #3
Masen Mills

Profile:

Welcome to the CrossFit community Brandon! Your story is a similar one to many that have found their way here...

Dustin is right-on about finding an affiliate, but as we all know, college itself can be expensive, so you may not be able to afford the membership. If that's the case, find yourself a Globogym do the main page WODs.

Spend a lot of time on the message board here and watch the demo videos to learn more about proper form. A few things to remember when you're starting CrossFit:

1) We train Mechanics, then consistency, then intensity. We all came to this with a lot of passion and we tend to want to hit the ground running, so I encourage you to learn the basic movements FIRST (body weight squat, front squat, overhead squat, shoulder press, push press, push jerk, deadlift, medicine ball clean, and sumo-deadlift high pull) and become VERY good at performing these movements CORRECTLY before trying any super-hard WODs. This is the best way to avoid injury.

2) Visit the CrossFit Brand X website to see scaled versions of the WOD. I started doing CrossFit WODs from the main site as Rx'd WAY too soon, and that resulted in me quitting CrossFit for a few months until I learned about scaling. I don't know much about your athletic background, so I encourage you to ease into this. Start doing WODs at the puppy scaling for a week, and see how your times and performance measure up to others. If you can blow through the puppies version and it seems like it's not a problem, then move up to pack (as long as you are performing the movements with proper form)

There site can be found here: http://www.crossfitbrandx.com/index.php/forums (WFS)

3) Don't get too wrapped around the axel with weight loss at first. These workouts are INTENSE and the programming is probably like nothing you've ever done.... stick to it and trust that results will come. CrossFit will definitely help with your goals of having increased energy and basically being better at life (this is what we train for after all, the sport of LIFE!), but your diet will do more for your body composition. Like many others, you may find that your overall work capacity will increase, but you may not lose a lot of weight very quickly. This is normal, and the fat loss will come, but you have to eat right. Research the Paleo diet and the Zone. Many CrossFitters have had extreme success with these dietary programs and the information is all here on the message boards for free, or you can purchase the books for cheap.

4) Lastly, youíve made the first step, so donít give up! Stick around on the message boards and keep asking questions! The best thing about CrossFit (besides the programís efficiency and the fact that it ACTUALLY WORKS!) is the community, so keep in touch!

Good luck to you on your newfound journey towards a better life!
Old 08-11-2011, 08:44 AM   #4
Brendan McNamar

Profile:

Welcome Brandon,

1) Get Robb Wolf's book "The Paleo Solution". It will do more good for your entire life then the 4 year degree you are about to start work on. I know I have the degree and I have read Rob Wolf's book. His book is more important.

2) Make friends with the people at the gym at school and other clubs that involve being physically fit. Going to school is a big social process. Human beings want to fit in. If you want to eat clean, work out and get good grades surround yourself with people who do those things. You will find them in the gym, the active clubs and the library.

Don't worry your social life will be great even without beer and pizza.
Old 08-11-2011, 09:32 AM   #5
Christoph Eggert

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masen Mills View Post
1) We train Mechanics, then consistency, then intensity. We all came to this with a lot of passion and we tend to want to hit the ground running, so I encourage you to learn the basic movements FIRST (body weight squat, front squat, overhead squat, shoulder press, push press, push jerk, deadlift, medicine ball clean, and sumo-deadlift high pull) and become VERY good at performing these movements CORRECTLY before trying any super-hard WODs. This is the best way to avoid injury.
Very very important point, please listen to this and start slow, especially when you begin with overweight. People tend to start way too intense which is nothing but a straight way to injury or demotivation. Learning the movements can also already be a good fitness program for a beginner, so don't overestimate yourself .

Best wishes for your journey to a better life.
Old 08-11-2011, 11:43 AM   #6
Brandon Boren

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin Standel View Post
Find a GOOD XFit affiliate. Start by looking here

I assume you will be living in the dorms and eating at the galley on campus a lot so try to eat more meat, veggies, and fruits and avoid grains, cereals to the best extent possible. Pizza is bad, beer is bad, especially underage.

Remember though, you you live healthy and eat healthy because you want to enjoy life - don't become draconian on yourself so you hate your life because you aren't having fun and enjoying your life and friends. A large part of success at college comes with finding ways to balance working (a job and studying) and having a life. A moderate amount of bad stuff isn't going to hurt you.

Energy: don't use energy drinks - ever!
Yeah, I don't drink anyways (alcohol), never have in my life (:

On top of that, I plan on changing my diet, no more Soda (staying strictly to water). On top of that, I don't need a job. I guess I'm lucky I come from a pretty wealthy family, but I got everything paid off in scholarships, and my dad would be more than happy to pay for my membership.
Old 08-16-2011, 12:46 PM   #7
Brandon Boren

Profile:

I have a question about the Paleo Diet.

http://www.paleoplan.com/?gclid=CL7B...FQfu7Qodq385qQ

Is this the best option to someone who won't have access to a kitchen (cooking)? It seems it's based around what you purchase at the stores. My campus offers multiple of cafe's / diners - Ranging from everything.

Or is there something else I can follow, that is more towards the typical college dorm person?
Old 08-16-2011, 02:33 PM   #8
Andrew Milligan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Boren View Post
no more Soda (staying strictly to water).
Unsweetened iced tea and flavored seltzer water (not the kind with sweeteners, but just soda water and natural flavors) really helped me kick the soda habit. I probably drink one a month now and used to drink one or two a day. I had a soda on Saturday and it was so sugary, I felt so jittery and my hands were shaking. I didn't even like it.

Definitely come to the boards often. I'm on here a lot posting dumb questions, and people are more than willing to answer. Good luck!
Old 08-17-2011, 07:37 AM   #9
Brendan McNamar

Profile:

Quote:

Is this the best option to someone who won't have access to a kitchen (cooking)? It seems it's based around what you purchase at the stores. My campus offers multiple of cafe's / diners - Ranging from everything.

Or is there something else I can follow, that is more towards the typical college dorm person?
You should be able to eat Paleo with in the school dinning system. Sure probably 50% of the food will be off limit but you will be surprised. Buffets are great for eating Paleo.
Old 08-17-2011, 07:39 AM   #10
Brendan McNamar

Profile:

Quote:

That link is a for profit company. Google Robb Wolf and go to his free sight. You need to eat for the rest of your life so learn how to make decisions for yourself.