CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 10-05-2005, 04:38 PM   #1
Jim Lark

Profile:
I used Nicole's calculator and came out to 19 blocks. I have a couple 1 block snacks. For one of them, I'm thinking about a glass of milk. For one cup, it has 8g Protein, 12g Carbs, and 8g fats. I realize it's a bit over, but I'm not too concerned about the fats. I have a hard time keeping weight on.

Please let me know if this would be a good 1 block snack.

Thanks,
Jim
Old 10-05-2005, 07:11 PM   #2
Nicole Carroll

Profile:
Yes. It is basically zone balanced if you are at higher fat blocks so if it satisfying to you it's a fine snack :-)
Old 10-05-2005, 07:47 PM   #3
Guest2

Profile:

Zone balanced, but (way to make me the mean one, Nicole), dairy is marginal at best - uber insulin response = not so good. I'd avoid it if you can.

If you pre-weigh and cook a bunch of chicken breast or some lean beef and have that easily accessible, 1 oz of that plus 1/2 cup of grapes or a cup of strawberries plus a couple nuts of your choice, and you have a way way better 1 block snack option. Not quite as convenient as milk, but not really that hard either.
Old 10-05-2005, 09:01 PM   #4
Ted Williams

Profile:
What about soy milk as a last ditch snack (keep forgetting turkey and apples at home...)?
Old 10-05-2005, 10:15 PM   #5
Nicole Carroll

Profile:
I pretty much let folks find their own way w/ dairy and soy and other such "controversial" (if that's the right word?) foods/food ideologies. I like the Zone for alot of reasons but one is b/c it can work for paleo, non-paleo, veg, vegan etc. That said, I do think the dairy v. non-dairy, soy v. no soy, meat v. no meat discussions are informative and worthy of attention and personal experimentation.

Ted- Check the label of the particular brand. Divide by the # of grams per block for protein, carb and fat to find if it is balanced.

7g for protein
9g for carb
3g for fat

Old 10-06-2005, 04:16 AM   #6
Jim Lark

Profile:
Thanks for the quick replies. Greg, why would there be a high insulin response? I don't drink skim, or 2%, it's the regular vitamin D milk - 8g protein, 12g carbs, 8g fat. I realize it's not exact, but it seems to satisfy and holds me over until dinner.

Jim
Old 10-06-2005, 04:48 AM   #7
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
I do a half cup of plain yogert with splenda and 3 almonds at night, prior to bed. Quick, easy, and I don't feel any ill effects. A glass of milk seems unsatisfying to me, see how it effects you. Milk and yogurt are 1:1 foods (Carb:Pro).
Old 10-06-2005, 07:35 AM   #8
William Hunter

Profile:
People who don't do well with dairy know who they are, and often those of us in close proximity know as well. If you've got no issues I say go for it.

I dislike soy products because they makes my tongue feel fuzzy after I ingest them. I guess I'm slightly allergic.

I also can't stand that they call it "Soy Milk". It's juice. Milk comes from breasts, and soy beans don't have them.
Old 10-06-2005, 08:05 AM   #9
Guest2

Profile:

I don't want to convert anyone to Paleo (doesn't hurt me if you drink milk and eat wheat). I'd just rather it be out in the open that there are genuine potential drawbacks to the stuff. Plus I like raining on parades because I'm cruel and mean-spirited.

Jim - the insulin response is inherent to the dairy as a whole, not the actual macronutrient breakdown of the product itself. Also evidence regarding immune problems, etc. Tons of arguments on these points (you can find research that suggests increasing dairy consumption will actually reduce the risk of insulin resistance - but be very careful about who did the research and why). Check out the book "Lights Out" for some good info. Also http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/23/14404.html

Ted - as for soy milk, I’m going to be mean again and recommend avoiding that too. Check out http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/23/14408.html for some more on that one.
Old 10-06-2005, 02:19 PM   #10
Ted Williams

Profile:
Greg...so you're saying soy can give me cancer?

http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/23/14468.html

Sitting at this computer will likely give me cancer as well...as will breathing the air outside :crazy: But neither of those will be tasty WHILE they give me cancer :wink: