CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 10-19-2008, 12:30 PM   #1
Steve Forman

Profile:
Video Help

Hey guys, I am a trainer at a new affiliate (Morgan Hill Ca. ) and am running into video headaches. So please help me out.

1. what type of video camera do you use? does it use a specific file type?
2. what do you use to edit video?
3. whats the easiest (file type or program) to use and load say into a website, blog or you tube.

4. I am using pinnacle studio plus and how in the world do I place words in the actual video?

Any help or experience would be appreciated.

steve
Old 10-22-2008, 11:46 AM   #2
Ryan Marquart

Profile:
Re: Video Help

1. I use any variety of mini DV cameras. Anything by Canon is going to be pretty reliable. The hard disc recorder cameras don't stand up well to our Wisconsin winters, so I prefer mini DV tape.

I am using a PC, so AVI files work really well for me.

2. I use a program from NewTek called SpeedEdit to manipulate footage.
Everything comes in as an AVI file, once edited I can render out pretty much any kind of format.

3.For the web, mp4 is the way to go. File sizes are small, YouTube wants all video under 100mb total file size.
When rendering it is important to remember 2 things: Resolution and Bit rate.
Standard definition video is 720x480 resolution, cut that in half for the web.
Bit rate is also important when rendering for the web, usually I try and keep things under 1Mbps when rendering video for the web.

4. I am not familiar with Pinnicale, but there should be a way to put a title page or CG page (text) over the video. Try doing a help search in the program for title pages or text.

Sorry for the long post, hope this helps some.

Ryan
Old 10-22-2008, 01:42 PM   #3
James lee

Profile:

i use to own a production company so i am all Mac based. Final cut studio was what we used for editing, titling, etc.

That might be too much for what you need so if you have a Mac, you can use Imovie. pretty simple to use. you can also do simple titling also.

as for a camera, there are lot of good proconsumer cameras if you want really good quality but if its all going up on the web, you can use any of the small hand held camcorders. Because of the compression of your video when you put it up(youtube or similar), it will never be full quality. I did see Vimeo doing HD quality on their site even though i haven't check it out enough to tell you how that is.

Panasonic, cannon, and sony are the best. check out www.cnet.com for reviews on camcorders.

when you shoot, the most important thing is light. make sure your subjects are well lit.

if you have any more specific question, let me know.
hope that helps!
Old 10-22-2008, 09:40 PM   #4
Steve Forman

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Marquart View Post

3.For the web, mp4 is the way to go. File sizes are small, YouTube wants all video under 100mb total file size.
When rendering it is important to remember 2 things: Resolution and Bit rate.
Standard definition video is 720x480 resolution, cut that in half for the web.
Bit rate is also important when rendering for the web, usually I try and keep things under 1Mbps when rendering video for the web.

Ryan
Thanks for the replies, both of you. but this one....

I did one small video to test it out. rendered it mp4. loaded it to youtube and you could not even make out the video. did I do something wrong when I made the file into mp4. also you said you like avi, is there an advantage with avi over mpeg 1.

thanks and it was not a long post.

steve
Old 10-22-2008, 11:06 PM   #5
James lee

Profile:

google "video compression for youtube". there should be some good articles that can help you.
Old 10-23-2008, 09:54 AM   #6
Ryan Marquart

Profile:

I am sure there is some math/science behind video compression, I don't do math, so to me it becomes an art form.

If YouTube wants videos under 100Mb, then play with the rendering settings until your video gets as close to 100Mb without going over. This is usually going to get you the best possible quality allowed.

I have been able to get a 17 min video to fit under the 100Mb limit, rendering it with a resolution of 360 x 240 at 600Kbps bit rate.

There are a lot of variables as well, if the video has a lot of motion (which any athletic video would) the quality at the above mentioned rate would not be as good as say a "talking head" style video.

As far as the preference between mpeg 1 and avi, the software that I use deals with avi better than mpeg. Since I am using a PC, I have to be nice to it otherwise it tanks.

Ryan
Old 10-23-2008, 01:24 PM   #7
Derek Franks

Profile:

Video size is simply length x bit rate. So if you have a 15 minute video and you encode at 600 kbps:

15*60 = 900 seconds

900 seconds * 600 kbps = 540000 Kbit

540000 Kb / 8 = 67500 KByte

67500 KB / 1024 = 65.91 MB

AVI is simply a container, not a video format. Saying you have an AVI file doesn't actually mean anything. It could contain virtually any kind of video/audio. In other words AVI file can just as easily contain MPEG-1 as anything else. It's like saying you prefer plastic bags at the grocery store because they're better than oranges. It's doesn't make any sense.

AVI itself is a pretty old container format and you have to be careful when encoding video files into an AVI container because it won't support many of the features of more modern codecs.

Also, MP4 is a container like AVI. Not an encoding format itself. It can contain a variety of different video/audio formats inside.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Container_format_(digital)

Last edited by Derek Franks; 10-23-2008 at 01:31 PM..
Old 10-24-2008, 05:21 AM   #8
Ryan Marquart

Profile:

My point was that my computer likes to use plastic bags with a .avi after them and not a .mpg, or a .m2v or a .flv or any alphabet soup of "containers".

My editing computer likes a .avi file containing PCM audio and video that is brought in DV type 2 compression.

Once I have edited it, I find that rendering it out to a "container" with a .mp4 extention with proper compression settings uploads to YouTube the easiest.

The original question was regarding file types. I gave my opinion on what works best for me.

Thanks for the math portion of the schooling Derek, I'll use that in the future, it will take the guess work out.