CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 04-09-2011, 01:57 PM   #1
Jeff Ventura

Profile:
Am I eating enough?

Hi all. New member here. Been doing CF since late October 2010, so relative newb.

I have a question about caloric intake - and yes, I've searched and visited the many calorie calculators smattered across the web.

I am 42, 6'2", 194 lbs. I began CF at 204 lbs and probably 18% bodyfat. After being tested two weeks ago, I came in at 12.6% and my current weight of 194.

I want to get up to 205-210 lbs, but I don't want to lose leanness. I eat paleo 85% of the time, and after two months of logging everything I eat in Daily Burn, I've learned I eat around 1900-2200 calories daily.

I workout 5 days a week: 2 or 3 CF sessions, 1 or 2 trainer-assisted WOs, and 1 day of very competitive soccer.

I've always been pretty lean and more toward the ectomorph end of the spectrum (realistically, between meso and ecto).

The point of this ling story: am I eating enough? I am not gaining weight nor fat, but I am very sore a good deal of the time and feel I am not recovering fully. I work *very* hard with my WODs.

Thoughts? Ideas? Blatant criticism?
Old 04-09-2011, 02:02 PM   #2
Shane Jensen

Profile:
Re: Am I eating enough?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Ventura View Post
I eat around 1900-2200 calories daily.

am I eating enough?
No....

I'd up your daily calories by at least 1,000 (if not more) and see where that gets you.
Old 04-09-2011, 02:07 PM   #3
Spencer James

Profile:

^^^^ what he said

I think you're answering your own question in your post... if you're in the market to put on 10 pounds of muscle, it's probably going to be a lot easier to just up your calories by a factor of 1.5 or 2, lift a lot, and then do whatever you did to lose body fat before. It sounds like you have a natural predisposition to leanness, so maybe this will be relatively easy once you reach your strength goals?
Old 04-09-2011, 02:12 PM   #4
Joe Bernard

Profile:

Using an online calculator here: http://www.runningdeersoftware.com/p...alorie-req.htm (wfs) I got a BMR of 2,035, this is your calorie level if you were just sleeping all day. Even though these things are not 100% accurate, I eat at least 2,000 a day and I'm not working out because I'm trying to get my adrenals fixed. This thread is relevant: http://www.board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=65940 (wfs).

Being sore all the time and not feeling like you recover is a sure sign that you are not eating enough to maintain, let alone to gain weight. Do more strength work and not as many metcons if you are trying to gain weight, this will ensure that more of the weight you gain will be muscle as opposed to fat. You are going to gain some fat, it's inevitable when gaining weight, but if food quality is good and you are not completely gorging yourself the fat gain will be minimal; especially since you want to gain just ten pounds. Your maintenance is probably around 2,700-3,000, and for gaining weight you would want to add at least 500 calories to that.

So eat more.
Old 04-09-2011, 11:05 PM   #5
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Ventura View Post
I eat paleo 85% of the time, and after two months of logging everything I eat in Daily Burn, I've learned I eat around 1900-2200 calories daily.

I workout 5 days a week: 2 or 3 CF sessions, 1 or 2 trainer-assisted WOs, and 1 day of very competitive soccer.

Quote:
The point of this ling story: am I eating enough? I am not gaining weight nor fat, but I am very sore a good deal of the time and feel I am not recovering fully.
No, you are not eating enough. Please see this thread:
http://www.board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=65940 (wfs)

And then go eat something, please.

Katherine
Old 04-11-2011, 01:11 PM   #6
Jeff Ventura

Profile:

Thanks, everyone, for the replies.

Here's a snapshot of what I've eaten today:

BREAKFAST -- 380 calories
.5 scoop egg protein
.5 scoop whey protein
.5 scoop Green Vibrance (a very good greens supplement)
.5 banana
.5 cup strawberries
.5 cup blueberries
.5 cup coconut milk
.5 cup organic kefir

CrossFIT WOD @ 11 AM

LUNCH -- 673 calories
2 hardboiled eggs
Smoothie (again): 2 scoops Elite Gourmet protein, 1 half pint chocolate milk, 1 tsp peanut butter, 1 tsp flax oil
1 cup southwest chicken soup

AFTERNOON SNACK -- 190 calories
Pure Organic cherry bar

So, heading into dinner time, I'm only at 1446 calories, although the ratio is favorable.

The problem is obvious: it's nearly impossible (and wholly inadvisable) to eat 1600 calories at dinner, esp. later at night (as tonight might be due to family issues).

The obvious calorie deficit notwithstanding, critiques about the diet?

Last edited by Jeff Ventura; 04-11-2011 at 01:13 PM.. Reason: Forgot something.
Old 04-11-2011, 01:13 PM   #7
Jason Halm

Profile:

Why haven't you eaten meat yet today?
Old 04-11-2011, 01:16 PM   #8
Jeff Ventura

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Halm View Post
Why haven't you eaten meat yet today?
Been a ****ty day; have some family circumstances going on. Normally don't drink 50% of my calories in a given day.
Old 04-11-2011, 01:23 PM   #9
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Lift more heavy stuff and stop doing so many metcons.
Old 04-11-2011, 01:29 PM   #10
Rebecca Roth

Profile:

No offense, but how the heck are we supposed to critique your diet on an abnormal "eating" day in which you eat almost no food? Even on an abnormal day, its disturbing that someone would ever resort to that much protein shake or even mentally consider doing so an option...

You hit it outta the park with those two hard boiled eggs... keep up the good work?