CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 06-15-2012, 10:44 AM   #11
Paulo Santos

Profile:
Re: Whats ya Cals at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Ventura View Post
That's a very low amount of calories unless you are a small/slight person. I'd be careful. Go too low into a caloric deficit, and your body won't let go of extra bodyfat as it thinks its being starved.
Yep. I'm on the small side. I'm also only working out 3 times a week + soccer.
Old 06-15-2012, 10:59 AM   #12
Jeff Ventura

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo Santos View Post
Yep. I'm on the small side. I'm also only working out 3 times a week + soccer.
Your BMR is 1656, which is the calories you need to eat to lie in bed all day and breathe. That doesn't include walking, talking, checking your email, opening doors, etc. -- let alone training and soccer.

Your intake of 1700 kcal per day is only 44 above your BMR, which, IMHO, is too low. I would up your kcals to 1900 per day and monitor your results.
Old 06-15-2012, 11:08 AM   #13
Shane Jensen

Profile:

2,800-3,200 on the rare occasions that I check. Not trying to gain or lose weight right now.

Having just moved to Outlaw's programming I've already had the thought that those calories may need to increase but I'll play it by feel.
Old 06-15-2012, 11:47 AM   #14
Paulo Santos

Profile:

Quote:
Your BMR is 1656, which is the calories you need to eat to lie in bed all day and breathe. That doesn't include walking, talking, checking your email, opening doors, etc. -- let alone training and soccer.

Your intake of 1700 kcal per day is only 44 above your BMR, which, IMHO, is too low. I would up your kcals to 1900 per day and monitor your results.
Yes, I just switched to 1900 kcals per day. 1700 kcals was beginning to be tough.
Old 06-15-2012, 08:10 PM   #15
Larry Bruce

Profile:

Quote:
That's a very low amount of calories unless you are a small/slight person. I'd be careful. Go too low into a caloric deficit, and your body won't let go of extra bodyfat as it thinks its being starved.
Jeff, what makes you think that? The people that actually are physically starving don't have that much bodyfat. Wish they did probably.

The bigger concern is losing lean mass along with the body fat.
A smaller deficit will help with that, yes.
Old 06-15-2012, 08:51 PM   #16
Jeff Ventura

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Bruce View Post
Jeff, what makes you think that? The people that actually are physically starving don't have that much bodyfat. Wish they did probably.

The bigger concern is losing lean mass along with the body fat.
A smaller deficit will help with that, yes.
There's a certain individual caloric tipping point where the body won't seem to let go of fat until it gets enough calories. Eating 50 calories above one's BMR while training and playing soccer (and just everyday living) seems low enough to perhaps trip that metabolic wire.

My own experience too seems to indicate that if I eat too little, I lose lean mass and hold on to bodyfat more than I'd like.

Here's a good piece on eating more to weigh less (WFS). It's one person's experience, sure, but I think there's something to it.
Old 06-16-2012, 06:35 AM   #17
Larry Bruce

Profile:

Quote:
There's a certain individual caloric tipping point where the body won't seem to let go of fat until it gets enough calories. Eating 50 calories above one's BMR while training and playing soccer (and just everyday living) seems low enough to perhaps trip that metabolic wire.

My own experience too seems to indicate that if I eat too little, I lose lean mass and hold on to bodyfat more than I'd like.

Here's a good piece on eating more to weigh less (WFS). It's one person's experience, sure, but I think there's something to it.
That's a pretty accurate link. The bf was within half a % of the dexa I had a few months ago, and I haven't been dieting.

Yeah, I think we're saying the same thing just different ways. When lean mass is lost, fat loss will be proporitionally less and your bf% may actually increase. So yeah, I agree with moderate deficits.

When I'm very active I like to eat very close to my maintenance for sure.
Old 06-16-2012, 06:58 AM   #18
Paulo Santos

Profile:

I checked out the link and it says that I'm at 16.8% BF. Since I started my cut (about 12 weeks), I have lost 14# (2" off my waist). According to the above calculator, My TDEE is 2260, which is very close to the 2160 as recommended by MyFitnessPal. And the above calculator recommends that I have 2034 calories as opposed to the 1910 that MyFitnessPal recommends. This is all set at working out 3x a week. Our soccer season just finished, so I'm done with that for a bit. I'll stick with 1910 and see how it goes.
Old 06-16-2012, 07:33 AM   #19
John Foy

Profile:

According to that link I am 9.1% Bodyfat.

I get caliper tested on Thursday so will compare the results.
Old 06-16-2012, 06:39 PM   #20
Charley Agen

Profile:

I'm 6'1'' 178# and just logged my cals for the first time in months and consumed 3479 today. Yeah buddy!