CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2012, 10:44 AM   #11
Paulo Santos
Banned Paulo Santos is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Hopatcong  NJ
Posts: 2,164
Re: Whats ya Cals at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Ventura View Post
That's a very low amount of calories unless you are a small/slight person. I'd be careful. Go too low into a caloric deficit, and your body won't let go of extra bodyfat as it thinks its being starved.
Yep. I'm on the small side. I'm also only working out 3 times a week + soccer.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 10:59 AM   #12
Jeff Ventura
Member Jeff Ventura is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Clarkston  MI
Posts: 11
Re: Whats ya Cals at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo Santos View Post
Yep. I'm on the small side. I'm also only working out 3 times a week + soccer.
Your BMR is 1656, which is the calories you need to eat to lie in bed all day and breathe. That doesn't include walking, talking, checking your email, opening doors, etc. -- let alone training and soccer.

Your intake of 1700 kcal per day is only 44 above your BMR, which, IMHO, is too low. I would up your kcals to 1900 per day and monitor your results.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 11:08 AM   #13
Shane Jensen
Member Shane Jensen is offline
 
Shane Jensen's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Lewes  DE
Posts: 1,578
Re: Whats ya Cals at?

2,800-3,200 on the rare occasions that I check. Not trying to gain or lose weight right now.

Having just moved to Outlaw's programming I've already had the thought that those calories may need to increase but I'll play it by feel.
__________________
28/5'9"/190/Squat 207 KG/Press 89 KG/Deadlift 220 KG/Snatch 111 KG/C&J 140 KG/Log
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 11:47 AM   #14
Paulo Santos
Banned Paulo Santos is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Hopatcong  NJ
Posts: 2,164
Re: Whats ya Cals at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Ventura View Post
Your BMR is 1656, which is the calories you need to eat to lie in bed all day and breathe. That doesn't include walking, talking, checking your email, opening doors, etc. -- let alone training and soccer.

Your intake of 1700 kcal per day is only 44 above your BMR, which, IMHO, is too low. I would up your kcals to 1900 per day and monitor your results.
Yes, I just switched to 1900 kcals per day. 1700 kcals was beginning to be tough.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 08:10 PM   #15
Larry Bruce
Member Larry Bruce is offline
 
Larry Bruce's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Toronto  ON
Posts: 545
Re: Whats ya Cals at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Ventura View Post
That's a very low amount of calories unless you are a small/slight person. I'd be careful. Go too low into a caloric deficit, and your body won't let go of extra bodyfat as it thinks its being starved.
Jeff, what makes you think that? The people that actually are physically starving don't have that much bodyfat. Wish they did probably.

The bigger concern is losing lean mass along with the body fat.
A smaller deficit will help with that, yes.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 08:51 PM   #16
Jeff Ventura
Member Jeff Ventura is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Clarkston  MI
Posts: 11
Re: Whats ya Cals at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Bruce View Post
Jeff, what makes you think that? The people that actually are physically starving don't have that much bodyfat. Wish they did probably.

The bigger concern is losing lean mass along with the body fat.
A smaller deficit will help with that, yes.
There's a certain individual caloric tipping point where the body won't seem to let go of fat until it gets enough calories. Eating 50 calories above one's BMR while training and playing soccer (and just everyday living) seems low enough to perhaps trip that metabolic wire.

My own experience too seems to indicate that if I eat too little, I lose lean mass and hold on to bodyfat more than I'd like.

Here's a good piece on eating more to weigh less (WFS). It's one person's experience, sure, but I think there's something to it.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 06:35 AM   #17
Larry Bruce
Member Larry Bruce is offline
 
Larry Bruce's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Toronto  ON
Posts: 545
Re: Whats ya Cals at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Ventura View Post
There's a certain individual caloric tipping point where the body won't seem to let go of fat until it gets enough calories. Eating 50 calories above one's BMR while training and playing soccer (and just everyday living) seems low enough to perhaps trip that metabolic wire.

My own experience too seems to indicate that if I eat too little, I lose lean mass and hold on to bodyfat more than I'd like.

Here's a good piece on eating more to weigh less (WFS). It's one person's experience, sure, but I think there's something to it.
That's a pretty accurate link. The bf was within half a % of the dexa I had a few months ago, and I haven't been dieting.

Yeah, I think we're saying the same thing just different ways. When lean mass is lost, fat loss will be proporitionally less and your bf% may actually increase. So yeah, I agree with moderate deficits.

When I'm very active I like to eat very close to my maintenance for sure.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 06:58 AM   #18
Paulo Santos
Banned Paulo Santos is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Hopatcong  NJ
Posts: 2,164
Re: Whats ya Cals at?

I checked out the link and it says that I'm at 16.8% BF. Since I started my cut (about 12 weeks), I have lost 14# (2" off my waist). According to the above calculator, My TDEE is 2260, which is very close to the 2160 as recommended by MyFitnessPal. And the above calculator recommends that I have 2034 calories as opposed to the 1910 that MyFitnessPal recommends. This is all set at working out 3x a week. Our soccer season just finished, so I'm done with that for a bit. I'll stick with 1910 and see how it goes.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 07:33 AM   #19
John Foy
Member John Foy is offline
 
John Foy's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Widnes  Cheshire
Posts: 26
Re: Whats ya Cals at?

According to that link I am 9.1% Bodyfat.

I get caliper tested on Thursday so will compare the results.
__________________
32/5'10"/182lbs - Squat: 418lbs | Bench: 308lbs | Deadlift: 474lbs | Military: 176lbs
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 06:39 PM   #20
Charley Agen
Member Charley Agen is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Allouez  WI
Posts: 46
Re: Whats ya Cals at?

I'm 6'1'' 178# and just logged my cals for the first time in months and consumed 3479 today. Yeah buddy!
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
13,500 cals per day Dave Traeger Nutrition 9 05-06-2011 04:13 PM
Do you pay much attention to cals? Tricia Magrini Nutrition 3 01-04-2011 03:37 PM
paleo cals? Patrick Otis Nutrition 29 09-23-2009 06:24 AM
Question about HR monitors and cals burned Alix Clark Fitness 18 04-18-2008 06:50 PM
Cals - Point of Diminishing Returns? Ross Hunt Exercises 4 07-27-2004 01:31 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:04 PM.


CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.