CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 07-17-2007, 03:46 AM   #1
Mike Gray

Profile:
Just curious guys -

How long does it take you all to get back to 100% after picking up a flu? I came down last week - Wednesday I had fever, stomach, the works. Thursday the fever was down but the joint pain was bad and the stomach was in knots. By Satuday I was feeling pretty much normal but had a stomach relapse Sunday.

Went from 80.6kg bodyweight post workout last week to 78.0 yesterday. I've just started eating normally again this morning.

Yesterday I worked out again - the day 1 workout form Starting Strength - and felt OK, but I couldn't handle as much weight as last time. For example, I dropped from 90kg to 85kg for 3 sets of 5 backsquats and from 120kg to 110kg for 1 set of 5 dls. For some reason I thought I could handle last week's 70kg bench, got stuck under it and had to dump, creating a thundrous roar of crashing iron ... (After several days of having to dump other things with thundrous roars, I must say iron didn't seem all that bad! But it scares the neighbors.)

I'm guessing my next workout is back to last time's level and the one after that is back to making progress.

Does that pretty much tally with what you guys need to recuperate? And is it considereed advisable to sort of sidle in like this or is it better to wait until your really 100%?
Old 07-17-2007, 05:17 AM   #2
Connie Morreale

Profile:
i know that working out before you feel 100% recovered can cause you to relapse. you are lucky you didn't have a complete downward tailspin.

fluids, more rest.

muscle takes weeks, not days, to atrophy. you did not lose muscle. you are obviously not up to full speed yet. when you do decide to try it again, scale it slightly as a test. if all is well, ramp up from there.
Old 07-17-2007, 06:26 AM   #3
George Mounce

Profile:
Be sure you have the "flu". Influenza does not effect the stomach, it effects the respiratory system.

Sounds to me like a sort of stomach virus. I got one in Spain that had the same effects you are talking about that put me between bed and toilet for a week. I had to get checked out by Public Health officials when I got back to ensure I hadn't picked up some kind of disease it got so bad (no, I didn't fly commercial, I had to fly my Air Force plane back...even worse). But I recovered. I also drank a TON of water to keep my system flushing.

w/f safe:
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/influenza/DS00081
Old 07-17-2007, 06:28 AM   #4
Mike Gray

Profile:
Heya Connie!

Yeah - I wasn't thinking that I lost 2.5kg of muscle in less than a week. I'd guess that was mostly fluids and digestive mass. (Not taking creatine for a week may even play a role.)

And I was feeling good yesterday. My last stomach trouble was Sunday morning and by Monday afternoon I felt restless, like a caged animal. Except for going overboard on the bench press, the workout felt good (and no soreness today).

Anyway, I'm not planning on forcing the issue. I have a light flag football training session this evening; tomorrow I'll do another starting strength session. But since I have a whole lifetime left (well, make that a whole lifetime minus almost 35!) for making progress, there's no hurry!

But I'm curious about how other people ease back into training.
Old 07-17-2007, 06:37 AM   #5
Mike Gray

Profile:
Somehow, flying a plane with a stomach virus sounds like one of the things I'm quite happy NOT to ever have to do!

Interesting info about the flu. Thanks! I thought a combination of fever and upset stomach was what the "flu" is all about.

Anyway, the fluid thing is obviously key - and with a wife who's a nurse I definitely get the water treatment!

So are you back in business again?