CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 02-02-2006, 11:45 AM   #1
Seral Mehmet

Profile:

i saw a vid (gracie girls) and think they wern't wearing them?

do most wear them or not?
Old 02-02-2006, 11:50 AM   #2
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Seral, I don't know of anyone who wears a weight belt. They weaken the core and cause injuries. Now if your powerlifting in comp, you might.
Old 02-02-2006, 11:57 AM   #3
John Velandra

Profile:
While they are the "fashion statement" uniform accessory, you really don't need one UNTIL maximal lifts... nd even then, you can go without. When I deadlift, I still don't use them and that's up into the fives.

While I do think they have a valid purpose - mainly in PL and SM comps, I don't think you need them for daily work...

IMO
Old 02-02-2006, 11:57 AM   #4
Arden Cogar Jr.

Profile:
Seral,

I personally rarely wear a belt. I do however, wear a neophrene "belly belt" that keeps the warmth in my spine and hip area. I have also considered wearing Rehband waist,hip,upper thigh neophrene supports for warmth. I also wear TK bands on my knees when I do lower body and neophrene elbow supports on my elbows when I do upper body. These "assistants" are for warmth of the joint with the hope of lessening the chance of injury. Plus, I'm old, so I use that as an excuse. :crazy:

I'm not an expert on this, but to me the use of a belt doesn't strengthen your core muscles. I believe that all warmup, moderate, and most work sets on most compound movements (squat, deadlift, cleans, rows, etc) should be done without a belt.

Others may differ, but I see a belt as weakening your core and causing more problems than it does good. If however, you intend on competing in powerlifting or performing inordinately heavy maximal effort multi joint movements, a belt should be considered for your heaviest set. To me, it's a matter of security. I believe it doesn't help you lift the weight, but it can give you the "tightness" feel to push your limits.

All the best,
Arden
Old 02-02-2006, 12:10 PM   #5
Tom Gilbert

Profile:

Used correctly a belt does nothing other than help you lift more. It does not make any part of you weaker, nor does it make any lift safer.
Old 02-02-2006, 12:26 PM   #6
Michael Ledney

Profile:
Tom Gilbert is correct.

However, after 20 years of putting weight on my back (and front for that matter), I still strap on my belt when there's more than 400#. Call it my security blanket, sorry.
Old 02-02-2006, 01:46 PM   #7
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:
Michael, I think you are more correct - a belt is a security blanket. When I compete I use it in the C&J, BUT in the past 2yrs I can count on one hand how many times I've used the belt for C&J's or even heavy squats.

A belt should not be a substitute for poor form.
Old 02-02-2006, 02:01 PM   #8
Marty Lotspeich

Profile:  
Weight belts tend to cause a reverse inhibition of the transverse abdominals. Reasoning: the band of resistance around the transverse abdominals gives the body something to compress against other than the transverse abdominals, when your body pushes back against the belt it inhibits the transverse abdominal muscles. Done repetitively this leads to a faulty and very very dangerous core stabilization pattern being wired into the nervous system.
Old 02-02-2006, 02:19 PM   #9
Dave Rounsevelle

Profile:

OK, former powerlifter, so I've used a belt alot in the past. Now, well my lifts are probably 75% of what they were at the peak of my lifting. I use the belt only when going heavy. Heavy to me is defined as 80% or greater of my current max. Hope that sheads some light on the subject.
Old 02-02-2006, 03:34 PM   #10
Seral Mehmet

Profile:

thanks for the information. As I am quite a beginner I won't use the belts but of course use a light-mid weight till I get correct form which too i'm guessing will also strengthen my core.

Im sure my form will be good. whats the best way to make sure?