CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 11-23-2011, 08:08 AM   #1
Alex Beasley

Profile:
First I hated low bar squats. Now I hate high bar squats too. Help needed with squats

Some background info on me (first post!)

- 19 year old as of the past fortnight and a bit

- Was 'lifting' since I was 15, but that was just benching a 6 kilo bar with 10 kilos a side and being satisfied with it (no idea what the hell I was doing, clearly)

- About 2 years ago got myself a power rack and set. Accumulated injuries etc and have never progressed past a 2 plate squat or even deadlift except for 1RM (mother of god, so weak)

- Stopped doing low bar squats after (1) shoulder pain stopped training for 3 months due to bar position, (2) lower back pain caused for no apparent reason, possibly overextending in the bottom? (3) couldn't place the bar right and (4) it just didn't feel right, never got the hang of it

- Enter the high bar squat. On the plus side, my shoulders don't hurt. On the down side (1) had to get Oly shoes because I'm an inflexible git and depth sucked (2) slight knee pain related to inflexibility, mostly sorted out, (3) extreme forward lean in the descent, not upright enough, (4) noticable lean forward about 2/3 of the way down increasing and (5) good-morning the weight on the way up

I've read and watched the Starting Strength book/DVD, respectively. I've watched the 'Platform' vid detailing bar positioning, articles doing the same, etc. I've watched Olympic lifters for reference, and so on, and I still just don't feel strong in the back squat.

What can you guys suggest? I'm honestly demoralised as hell from this, as I'm incredibly weak despite my 'experience' (of injuring myself) and I just wanna be able to progress. Comments, advice etc are all welcome. Thanks.
Old 11-23-2011, 08:22 AM   #2
Matt Haxmeier

Profile:
Re: First I hated low bar squats. Now I hate high bar squats too. Help needed with sq

It sounds like most of your problems are probably flexibility related. Post a squat video in the coaching section. And do some mobility stuff for your hamstrings, hips, shoulders, etc.

Last edited by Matt Haxmeier : 11-23-2011 at 08:25 AM.
Old 11-23-2011, 08:27 AM   #3
Michael Loucas

Profile:
Re: First I hated low bar squats. Now I hate high bar squats too. Help needed with sq

Try a bit wider stance, and sit back more. Also a video would help.
Old 11-23-2011, 08:35 AM   #4
Alex Beasley

Profile:

I'll try video. Only problem is that the editing software I use (windows movie maker, yes, techno-noob) doesn't recognise video files from my phone and so they're unusable. I know I converted them to a file it can use a while back, just can't remember what or how.

As for a wider stance, I find that I absolutely hate squatting with a wide stance to be honest. Might be part of why everything is screwed up?
Old 11-23-2011, 09:04 AM   #5
Michael Loucas

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Beasley View Post
I'll try video. Only problem is that the editing software I use (windows movie maker, yes, techno-noob) doesn't recognise video files from my phone and so they're unusable. I know I converted them to a file it can use a while back, just can't remember what or how.

As for a wider stance, I find that I absolutely hate squatting with a wide stance to be honest. Might be part of why everything is screwed up?
What do you hate about it?
Old 11-23-2011, 09:11 AM   #6
Drew Parrett

Profile:

It sounds like you know your form is poor, your suffering because of that poor form, and youre trying to fix, but you seem upset at the strength you have.

Drop the weight, get good form, then go heavy. Its gonna take some time but your hurting yourself more by getting hurt.

WHat type of warmups and stretches you do can have a huge impact, as well as nutrition and stress, ect.... But form first.

ALso get a mirror its not vanity is educational.
Old 11-23-2011, 09:23 AM   #7
Michael Loucas

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Parrett View Post
It sounds like you know your form is poor, your suffering because of that poor form, and youre trying to fix, but you seem upset at the strength you have.

Drop the weight, get good form, then go heavy. Its gonna take some time but your hurting yourself more by getting hurt.

WHat type of warmups and stretches you do can have a huge impact, as well as nutrition and stress, ect.... But form first.

Recording the workout and looking at it afterwards is better than a mirror. Better to be self aware of your body position by feel then looking at it after, than requiring looking in a mirror every time you squat.
Old 11-23-2011, 09:56 AM   #8
Luke Sirakos

Profile:

Quote:

Agreed, leave your ego at the door and work on your form. Yeah you want to move up in weight but if you don't get your form down not only will you not move up in weight but you will most likely get hurt. Rome wasn't built in a day and you aren't going to be squatting 4 plates next week either so focus on doing it right first and then worry about the amount of weight on the bar.
Old 11-23-2011, 04:47 PM   #9
Alex Beasley

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Loucas View Post
What do you hate about it?
It makes my groin feel like it's being torn apart, and my lower back gets a crazy amount of strain on it when I try that. Not a fan at all.

Quote:

The thing is that I've tried several times to fix it by going light and then adding more and adapting, but the same old thing happens. I tried contacting the Crossfit group in my town about having them assess my form, but they haven't gotten back to me about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Sirakos View Post
Agreed, leave your ego at the door and work on your form. Yeah you want to move up in weight but if you don't get your form down not only will you not move up in weight but you will most likely get hurt. Rome wasn't built in a day and you aren't going to be squatting 4 plates next week either so focus on doing it right first and then worry about the amount of weight on the bar.
Like I said though, it's normally the case that below 75 kilos or so it feels easy, but once I add more it begins to break down.
Old 11-23-2011, 05:02 PM   #10
Michael Loucas

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Beasley View Post
It makes my groin feel like it's being torn apart, and my lower back gets a crazy amount of strain on it when I try that. Not a fan at all.

The thing is that I've tried several times to fix it by going light and then adding more and adapting, but the same old thing happens. I tried contacting the Crossfit group in my town about having them assess my form, but they haven't gotten back to me about it.

Like I said though, it's normally the case that below 75 kilos or so it feels easy, but once I add more it begins to break down.
Post a video, that will be the most helpful. You're probably doing something wrong. I'd suggest lighter than normal weight (but still enough to see how your form reacts), and show us the difference stances.