CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 03-12-2009, 07:07 AM   #1
Keith Armstrong

Profile:
Extra workout onto WOD

I am looking to drop from 200lbs to about 180-185 in one month. I am wondering if anyone think it is a bad idea to add 30 minutes of cardio to the WOD each day. I am a teacher so I was thinking about doing 30 minutes of an elliptical in the morning and then doing the WOD after school. I think I will drop more pounds. I am on the zone diet but don't weigh the food. Good idea?
Old 03-12-2009, 07:43 AM   #2
Shane Skowron

Profile:
Re: Extra workout onto WOD

Question, how long have you been doing the Crossfit WODs? And are you doing them at full weight/reps?

Personally I would not do an extra 30 minutes of cardio. I would do maybe 2-3 tabatas per week, either bike, row, or run. They are short but very potent in their energy expenditure.

There was a study done that suggests that intervals are more beneficial for fat loss. I tend to believe it.
Here's the link, wfs: http://www.exrx.net/FatLoss/HIITvsET.html
Old 03-12-2009, 08:41 AM   #3
John Edmondson

Profile:

Personally, I would get my diet totally dialed in before I added more work. You're on the Zone and that's great, but zoning without weighing and measuring with the goal to lose that much weight that quickly, is akin to trying to get stronger without knowing how much weight is on the bar. One man's opinion. Best of luck to you.
Old 03-12-2009, 01:05 PM   #4
Alex Europa

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Armstrong View Post
I am looking to drop from 200lbs to about 180-185 in one month.
Why the rush? Wedding? Cruise? Fight weigh-in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Armstrong View Post
I am wondering if anyone think it is a bad idea to add 30 minutes of cardio to the WOD each day. I am a teacher so I was thinking about doing 30 minutes of an elliptical in the morning and then doing the WOD after school. I think I will drop more pounds. I am on the zone diet but don't weigh the food. Good idea?
I think you'll be hard pressed to find even one person one these forums that would think that it's a worthwhile idea.

Here's an enlightening little read pertaining to your question. Exercise: Effective for Fat Gain by Robb Wolf (W/F/S)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Edmondson View Post
Personally, I would get my diet totally dialed in before I added more work. You're on the Zone and that's great, but zoning without weighing and measuring with the goal to lose that much weight that quickly, is akin to trying to get stronger without knowing how much weight is on the bar. One man's opinion. Best of luck to you.
Werd...

- Alex
Old 03-12-2009, 01:30 PM   #5
Wes Palmer

Profile:

If you want to add cardio make sure it is not slow and steady. Do something like 4 rounds of 400m for time, a mile for time, or 4 rounds of 800m for time ect. Really go all out, dont just go through the motions
Old 03-12-2009, 01:32 PM   #6
Keith Armstrong

Profile:

Thanks. I was doing Crossfit this summer but got away from it because I live way up north and I don't want to pay for a gym. I know just and excuse. Anyway I put on pounds I want to get off and I started about 2 weeks ago again. The reason is I don't want to look like a slob with my girlfriend in Fort Lauderdale.
Old 03-12-2009, 01:56 PM   #7
Chris Walls

Profile:

Getting your nutrition dialed in crazy tight will do more for weight loss/body comp then extra "cardio" will. Look there, and hit the WOD so hard you don't want to do anything else...
Old 03-12-2009, 03:29 PM   #8
Scott Spencer

Profile:

hmm, i might be the only person who thinks the 30 minutes is an ok idea...for fat loss. It will make your total crossfit performance go down though. Maybe...i have seen some ladies who run alot still do well with their traditional lifting.

But a better option is to do tabata or some other kind of interval as your extra cardio. then you wont loss on your power. Sprints are the best. Either flat or hill sprints. Then you have the choice of high power intervals on treadmills, bikes, rowers or ellipticals. Since you are doing it at home you might have many options. but do the Intervals for your fat loss. Works better and doestn make you weak.

As mentioned above....diet,diet,diet. i just had a client loss 28 pounds in 6 weeks. He as a beginner so you might not have the same results. But you sure can get to 15 in a month.
Old 03-12-2009, 03:51 PM   #9
Kevin Thomas

Profile:

The right answer has already been mentioned. If your goal is quick weight loss, diet is the answer. I recently had much success losing weight with the stomach flu diet. I lost 10 pounds in under a week, and losing weight wasn't even my goal. Give it a try.

I think a relative newbie adding intense interval work to the WOD's, like several have suggested, seems about the worst idea I can think of. The WODs done correctly are likely to burn out the OP. Adding intense work to that seems counterproductive.

I also think a little extra LSD cardio can be useful for someone like the OP. I would think they would work more like active rest and recovery work, especially if you can't handle the full on WOD's. I have had successful periods of CrossFit (meaning I kept improving) when I added one LSD run in a week.
Old 03-12-2009, 11:29 PM   #10
Wes Palmer

Profile:

"I think a relative newbie adding intense interval work to the WOD's... seems about the worst idea I can think of."

Isnt Crossfit Endurance about that very thing, doing intense cardio in addition to the WOD?

Last edited by Wes Palmer : 03-12-2009 at 11:31 PM.