CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 04-17-2014, 01:29 PM   #571
Matt McGivney

Profile:
WordPress WOD plugin updated to new version

Hey all, I managed to crank out a much-improved version of my open source WordPress plugin for managing WODs on your WordPress site or blog. You can get an overview of the changes and a download link at my blog/tutorials site:

http://boxhacks.com/cf-wod-posts-v1-...able-for-free/

I would really appreciate feedback. Do you find the plugin useful? Are there any features that you would like to see worked into the code? Thanks for your time and your honest feedback.

-Matt
Old 11-24-2014, 07:54 AM   #572
Kevyn Piascik

Profile:
Wordpress.com vs Wordpress.org????

Hi everyone--my husband and I are opening a box in northern NJ and have (I thought) done considerable research regarding web design, etc, but at this point am thoroughly confused and hope someone can point us in the right direction.

Can anyone explain to us the difference between Wordpress.COM and Wordpress.ORG? It seems the two things are totally different and do not "speak" to each other. This seems slightly outrageous from a business sense, unless they are two totally different companies....? We purchased our domain and package from wordpress.COM, but it is no where near what we wanted it to be, and are now thinking we wanted the .ORG instead.

We are very confused---which "wordpress" is everyone here using.... .com or .org? I appreciate any help you guys can give me, I have always considered myself technologically competent, but this is making me feel substantially less so!

Thank you!!
Old 11-24-2014, 08:19 AM   #573
Patrick McCarty

Profile:
Re: Wordpress.com vs Wordpress.org????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevyn Piascik View Post
Hi everyone--my husband and I are opening a box in northern NJ and have (I thought) done considerable research regarding web design, etc, but at this point am thoroughly confused and hope someone can point us in the right direction.

Can anyone explain to us the difference between Wordpress.COM and Wordpress.ORG? It seems the two things are totally different and do not "speak" to each other. This seems slightly outrageous from a business sense, unless they are two totally different companies....? We purchased our domain and package from wordpress.COM, but it is no where near what we wanted it to be, and are now thinking we wanted the .ORG instead.

We are very confused---which "wordpress" is everyone here using.... .com or .org? I appreciate any help you guys can give me, I have always considered myself technologically competent, but this is making me feel substantially less so!

Thank you!!
It can be confusing.

.com is a hosted solution. Meaning, you get a free website on wordpress.com and are stuck with their templates, their plugins, layout limitations, etc. Your url is often crossfitwhatever.wordpress.com.

.com is fine if you want to use a free, hosted website with no bells and whistles.

.org is merely the jumping off point for downloading the wordpress software to host it yourself. Meaning, the standalone solution that you download and install on your own hosting space (i.e. Godaddy or some such think like that) When you download and install Wordpress on your own site, you can do whatever you want to it. Customize the look, the way it works, the plugins you use, and the domain name.

I would recommend two things:

1. Use Wordpress as a standalone on your own space. the .COM is not practical for long term growth.

2. Dont do it yourself. If you do, it will look like a DYI website. I recommend hiring someone to at least get you set up in a decent looking custom design.

Best of luck
Old 11-24-2014, 08:53 AM   #574
Kevyn Piascik

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick McCarty View Post
It can be confusing.

.com is a hosted solution. Meaning, you get a free website on wordpress.com and are stuck with their templates, their plugins, layout limitations, etc. Your url is often crossfitwhatever.wordpress.com.

.com is fine if you want to use a free, hosted website with no bells and whistles.

.org is merely the jumping off point for downloading the wordpress software to host it yourself. Meaning, the standalone solution that you download and install on your own hosting space (i.e. Godaddy or some such think like that) When you download and install Wordpress on your own site, you can do whatever you want to it. Customize the look, the way it works, the plugins you use, and the domain name.

I would recommend two things:

1. Use Wordpress as a standalone on your own space. the .COM is not practical for long term growth.

2. Dont do it yourself. If you do, it will look like a DYI website. I recommend hiring someone to at least get you set up in a decent looking custom design.

Best of luck

Thank you so much Patrick, this was very helpful I am going to look into this more tonight!
Old 11-24-2014, 05:34 PM   #575
Jeremy Lockhart

Profile:

If you decide to go the route of installing it on your own hosting, please do not host with GoDaddy. Their hosting is terrible. Since it sounds like you do your research, the best place for hosting reviews would be http://www.webhostingtalk.com (wfs). You only need fairly basic hosting. It should not cost you more than $10/mo. You can check under the 'Shared Hosting Offers' subforum for specials on the hosting you would need.

If you need any more help just post up!
Old 11-25-2014, 09:49 AM   #576
Kevyn Piascik

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Lockhart View Post
If you decide to go the route of installing it on your own hosting, please do not host with GoDaddy. Their hosting is terrible. Since it sounds like you do your research, the best place for hosting reviews would be http://www.webhostingtalk.com (wfs). You only need fairly basic hosting. It should not cost you more than $10/mo. You can check under the 'Shared Hosting Offers' subforum for specials on the hosting you would need.

If you need any more help just post up!
Thanks Jeremy, I was just logging in to see what others recommended for hosting sites, I have heard mixed reviews about both GoDaddy and BlueHost. We don't want anything too fancy---at least not yet---but need it to be efficient and effective! I will check out the site more, it's very helpful and informative. Thank you so much for sharing!
Old 01-14-2015, 08:12 AM   #577
Kevyn Piascik

Profile:
Re: Official WordPress users thread.

I am having some issues with getting my wodify calendar integrated with my wordpress site. I go to wodify and copy and paste the code which is:
<iframe src="https://app.wodify.com/wodify/PublicCalendarListView.aspx?tenant=2170" width="800" height="800"></iframe>
Then I change the < and > to [ and ] like they say for wordpress sites so I put in:
[iframe src="https://app.wodify.com/wodify/PublicCalendarListView.aspx?tenant=2170" width="800" height="800"></iframe]
but I still only get the actual text when I view the page and not the embedded calendar. I am using the Gymextream theme from Envato Marketplace for my site. I always thought that I was pretty good with technology, but this and several other wordpress/theme issues are definitely making me doubt that. Any help and advice would be appreciated.
Old 01-14-2015, 12:31 PM   #578
Jeremy Lockhart

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevyn Piascik View Post
I am having some issues with getting my wodify calendar integrated with my wordpress site. I go to wodify and copy and paste the code which is:
<iframe src="https://app.wodify.com/wodify/PublicCalendarListView.aspx?tenant=2170" width="800" height="800"></iframe>
Then I change the < and > to [ and ] like they say for wordpress sites so I put in:
[iframe src="https://app.wodify.com/wodify/PublicCalendarListView.aspx?tenant=2170" width="800" height="800"></iframe]
but I still only get the actual text when I view the page and not the embedded calendar. I am using the Gymextream theme from Envato Marketplace for my site. I always thought that I was pretty good with technology, but this and several other wordpress/theme issues are definitely making me doubt that. Any help and advice would be appreciated.
On the Wordpress edit screen at the top right of the edit box there is a tab that says 'text' (other tab is 'visual'). Paste in the original code from Wodify, no modifications, and then preview your page and see if it gives you what you're going for.

I'm not sure why they tell you to change the < to [. When you type something like [wordshere] into the wysiwyg (visual tab) that is called a shortcode. And as far as I know, as of the current Wordpress 4.1, there is no native iframe shortcode. You can add the functionality with a plugin but its not build into WP.
Old 10-08-2015, 09:55 AM   #579
Jesse Dale

Profile:

Hi folks
I paid around $1500 to have my word press site built, they did a great job and I am satisfied with it. I now pay the site administrator $99 per month for updates, changes that I do not know how to make, posting new fliers etc (all easy stuff) When I inquired about the fee sent back the following:

Yes, you can get website hosting at Go Daddy or someplace like that for $10 or $20 a month but you have absolutely no support with that of any kind. So if your site needs updating, you have no one to call. If you have content changes to make, you have no one to call. We bill you for hosting and an hour’s worth of support time at $100 per month. This is quite a good deal because for just maintenance alone we bill at $100 an hour. So you’re essentially getting the hosting at no charge.

My other thought is, yes, you could get a college student or somebody to make updates… but there again, you have no guarantee it’ll be done right or that the person will be reliable. All of these things are why we charge what we do.

Is $100 per month standard (that $1200) per year. Is there a more economic option?
Old 10-10-2015, 12:37 AM   #580
Jeremy Lockhart

Profile:

If the Wordpress theme they created is done properly then you shouldn't need their help for basic updates. What type of changes do you not know how to make?

Part of having a Wordpress site built for you is being able to manage it yourself.

And hosting is not as expensive as they say. For a gym website you don't need any hosting beyond most basic shared hosting packages that can regularly be found for $4-$8/mo. I host many client websites for $80/yr.