CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 11-10-2006, 12:33 PM   #1
Alex Vander Veur

Profile:
I'm new not just to CrossFit, but really any kind of regular physical activity. I'd like to start exercising regularly to lose a little fat and generally get in shape, but I am totally at a loss about where and how I should begin. Any help and guidance would be appreciated.
Old 11-10-2006, 12:44 PM   #2
Jerry Berg

Profile:

Hey Alex, welcome.

I would check out the Nutrition topic on this forum. It's been my experience that until i had that part of my life down, all the exercising/fitness/whatever i was doing didn't amount to much at all.

Next place I would go is the FAQ on the CrossFit homepage and then the BrandX webpage for scaled down WOD.

Good to have you.

JB
Old 11-10-2006, 02:59 PM   #3
Chris Sinagoga

Profile:
start off doing the crossfit warmup (found in the faq section) every day until you feel comfortable doing all those exercises. it's a good workout in itself.
Old 11-10-2006, 03:22 PM   #4
Becca Borawski

Profile:
Remember in the beginning you're not expected to do all the weights or all the reps -- you can scale things to your fitness level. And make sure you look all through the website and watch the videos of the various exercises, workouts, etc, so you can get an idea of how things work.
Old 11-10-2006, 05:35 PM   #5
Tom Taylor

Profile:
Alex,
You've come to the right place the people and information on this site and in this community are the best. Start slowly and scale, scale, scale. Ask questions on this board and look to the CrossFit Journals for information. If you can, find a coach for the olympic lifts and I highly recommend finding someone to train with.

Welcome
Old 11-10-2006, 08:20 PM   #6
Mike Griffith

Profile:
Alex,

These workouts can be taxing. Have you had a physical and clearance from your M.D.? Do you have any injuries that are of concern?

If you are just starting out go slow, remember exercising and sound nutrition are marathons.

You are in it for the long haul and it is nice that you are in the race. On this board you now have great training partners so ask as many questions as you need to.

Everybody will help out and make it fun. Nobody will be rude or offending. No question is a dumb question. :happy:

The FAQ section is good to start with, it gives a great overview of the concepts. Surf around the message boards and soak up info there. Also some of the back issues of the Crossfit Journal are of value. I subscribed to the Crossfit Journal which is a great wealth of knowledge for just $25.00 USD per year – (It is a steal).

Work with small increments of improvement which build upon each other. Soon you have wonderful achievements. :showoff:

Set some goals, be specific and write them down, this is invaluable. It could go something like this… by Dec 25; I will be able to do 10 pushups, 25 sit ups, and 1 pull up, jog a mile. The amounts of effort here are just for example you will have to set your own benchmarks. Each work out try and improve a small amount.

Work on your diet, start cleaning it up. The message boards have so much nutrition info it makes your head spin. Don’t go overboard, again just start with small steps, less trips to Mickey D’s, forgo the snickers, less Ben & Jerry’s Cherry Garcia, maybe cut portions down a bit. Many here like the Zone, some like Paleo, there is IF, ECT ECT. The key here is to work into it.

Don’t go hog wild unless it is to knock back a slab of ribs or some pork chops (just kidding).

Most of all though have fun. If it is not fun you won’t stick with it. Find a sport that seems interesting and get involved. Some use Crossfit as their sport others use it as conditioning for other interests, mix & match. :banana:

Welcome.
Old 11-10-2006, 09:19 PM   #7
Becca Borawski

Profile:
Just wanted to echo something Mike just said -- take it in small steps! Trying to change too much at once will be overwhelming and difficult to maintain. Make small changes, make them part of your life, and then change a little bit more - over time you'll be amazed at what you've done!
Old 11-11-2006, 10:11 AM   #8
Alex Vander Veur

Profile:
Thanks everyone. :happy:

A bit more specific, Chris recommended trying out the crossfit warmup until I was comfortable with that, but a few of the exercises, like the back-extensions and dips, look like you need equipment to do them, and I probably won't be getting any equipment for a month or two. Any recommendations on any around-the-house things I might be able to use in place of the equipment, or exercises I might substitute for those until I get some?

Also, along the lines of what Mike said on finding something I'd enjoy enough to stick with, I've been looking around for a while and think I might really be able to get into some gymnastic exercises, like I found in this thread (http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/22/4242.html), but I'm not sure what parts, if any, would be the kind of basics that I'm going to be starting off with right now, or if I'd do better to do other things and get somewhat in shape before trying to get into this kind of stuff.
Old 11-11-2006, 09:40 PM   #9
Adam Morden

Profile:
you could sub push ups for dips, but 2 stools or chairs will work as well and be more specific to regular dips in the end. If you have a partner you can do back extensions off any raised platform by having them hold your feet/calves in place.

Hope this helps,

Adam
Old 11-13-2006, 04:23 PM   #10
Chris Sinagoga

Profile:
for back extensions, you can do "good mornings", if you have a barbell, if you can do a handstand hold againt a wall, or a bridge, which is where you hold yourself up in pushup position either on your hands or forearms.

for dips, find 2 solid objects(chairs, tables) and slide them close together and do dips between them.