CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 09-02-2014, 08:19 AM   #1
David Osorio

Profile:
Working with troubled or new movers in class

Hi all,

I've had a few new posts up on Inside the Affiliate, this most recent one about working with new or troubled movers. (WFS) In it I talk about how we triage particularly difficult movers in class in such a way that you're more able to walk way from them and not worry about what they're doing.

Curious to see if anyone has any other ideas, thoughts or anecdotes on how they work with people who need more help than the average person in class.

Also- for anyone who likes ITA, I've written a handful more articles over the last few weeks and reorganized the site to make it more browse friendly. Thanks!
Old 09-03-2014, 09:37 AM   #2
John Diiorio

Profile:
Re: Working with troubled or new movers in class

Another great article! Thank you for sharing
Old 09-03-2014, 01:16 PM   #3
Tristan Hoyle

Profile:

Very interesting read. Thanks!
Old 09-03-2014, 07:56 PM   #4
David Osorio

Profile:

Thank YOU guys for reading!
Old 09-08-2014, 02:34 PM   #5
Jenni Hartman

Profile:

I'm currently working at a gym where up to 50% of the class falls into either the "new" or "disorganized mover" category. Not an exaggeration.

I've found that I can figure during the guided warm-up which people are going to fall into the above categories. For example, if I have them do walking lunges and they crumble into the ground or have a lot of difficult standing up, that's a sign right there. If I ask them to move their right arm and a different body part moves, that's another sign.

I tend to group the ones I'm going to need to triage the most together when they are in class - chances are, the corrections I give to one person will apply to some of the others, and they tend to listen in when someone is getting corrected. That way I might not have to keep repeating myself over and over again in class.

I do a lot of modifications and scaling of movements in workouts. As long as you're giving clients the intended stimulus of a workout, modifications can and should be used.
Old 09-11-2014, 11:11 AM   #6
Kenny Markwardt

Profile:

That is a wonderful article. Thank you.
Old 09-16-2014, 06:38 PM   #7
David Osorio

Profile:

Jenni,

Why do you think that is? Is the gym new or is there something that biases the type of folks signing up for the gym?

In a scenario where there are lots of people having trouble with what's going on, grouping them together into smaller groups would be one way to triage people more effectively. I'd also consider if the programming should be leveled, one for beginners and another for more advanced so that less individual scaling is required and less demanding movements are asked of these folks.

thanks for the comments, everyone!