CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 08-02-2006, 02:54 PM   #1
Richard Boureston

Profile:

So I understand the importance of the squat rack but how do the power racks come into play? And is there a more compact solution to the same problem? I am trying to get everything into a single bay garage.

Thanks
Old 08-02-2006, 03:01 PM   #2
Don Stevenson

Profile:
Power racks have the advantage of giving you safety bars to catch any missed lifts. for example if you get to the bottom of a squat and can;t get up again you just lower a little further until the bar is on the pins and then fall/waddle out from underneath.

A power rack can also be used to do presses, squats etc starting from different heights and using different range of motion and for advanced stuff like westside barbell training a power rack gives you places to attach bands.

If you are working on a tight budget and very limited space then a pair of squat racks is your best bet. If you have more money and space get the power rack, you defintely don't need both.
Old 08-03-2006, 11:44 AM   #3
John Seiler

Profile:
Richard,

The more compact solution is a half-rack with the spotting arms. You can't do a lockout off one but since were not powerlifters... The only problem with half-racks I've found is that most seem to be Institutional grade and therefore, expensive.

Example Half Rack (by the way, Allison Foreman is offering 30% off to Crossfitters)
http://www.yorkbarbell.com/products/...ts_scroll.html
Old 08-03-2006, 02:41 PM   #4
Bret Parkhill

Profile:
The compact solution is Squat Stands. I've lifted in a rack for years but recently traded my rack in for a set of stands w/ spotting arms. I like the Squat Stands much better because of the space savings.

I have rolled a heavy back squat off my shoulders when I've been without spotters and it sucked. It didn't injure me but it sure felt like my traps got flattened.
Old 08-03-2006, 04:19 PM   #5
Ross Hunt

Profile:
If you have bumpers, you can definitely dump oly back squats. From the bottom position, you just push the bar back with your back and then put your knees to the ground; bar falls behind you.

Practice this with something lighter than a max, obviously...
Old 08-03-2006, 05:50 PM   #6
Chris Goodrich

Profile:
IM sells the spotting racks ("pillars of power")to work with their squat stand so you can do back squats and bench presses (and many other exercises)without a spotter. You set them at a height just below the bottom position for the lift you're doing, and if you fail during your set they catch the bar before it drives you into the ground (back squat) or crushes your chest/neck (bench press). They have a much smaller footprint than a squat rack and can be moved out of the way when not in use. Thy're as sturdy as you'll ever need, and work well for a home gym.
Old 08-04-2006, 04:38 PM   #7
John de la Garza

Profile:
I am looking at something like this:
http://www.bodysolid.com/Item.aspx?ItemID=493&ItemLabel=GPR370%3a+Body-Solid+Mul ti-Press+Rack

Anyone have any feedback on if this is a good solution or if it should be avoided?
Old 08-05-2006, 11:16 PM   #8
Tim Triche, Jr.

Profile:
The linked item is kind of a bad compromise between a power rack (bulky, but rock-solid) and squat stands (space-efficient but must be combined with spotting stands or the like for heavy efforts).

Personally I'd suggest against half-measures if you're building out a single-car garage. I got a pair of Powerline squat stands in a one-car garage, and I've often wished that I'd got separate stands (2 free-standing) instead of the conjoined variety, in spite of the minimal space taken by the sturdier Powerline rack.

My suggestion would be to get cheap, compact, sturdy squat stands ($99/pair for the separates), build some Pillars of Poverty or sawhorse spotters, and if you really want to improve your power, get a decent glute-ham developer with the cash you saved. Glute-ham raises are excellent.

From a fellow single-car-garage gym owner,

--t
Old 08-06-2006, 12:49 PM   #9
John Daniel

Profile:
I have a one car garage gym. I almost spent the $$ for the Ironmind stands, but found a power rack on ebay that I got for $50 in the area. The portability would have been nice, but not worth an extra $350. It has presented me with no space problems at all. (I have a rower, 20" box, rings, pu bar, bumper plates, 2 oly bars, and 7 kettlebells. I have plenty of room to work out.
Old 08-07-2006, 12:48 PM   #10
Richard Boureston

Profile:

When do you guys use the rower? I'm deciding if I have the space.