CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 08-07-2014, 07:11 AM   #1771
Tim Alford

Profile:
Re: 2014 CrossFit Open, Regionals, and Games Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Sirakos View Post
I am going to go out on a limb and disagree, I have a feeling she won't see the podium. Not taking anything away from her but I feel that the womens competition can be closer than the mens (with Rich competing) and the wolf climbing the mountain is always hungrier than the one sitting on top.
The wolf climbing the mountain (except in Rich's case??) I don't know, I think CLB has a good shot, her lifts are always improving and she can ramp up cardio before the regionals and games, as needed. I definitely want to see Foucher up there again, she's tough as nails!

As for the men's, who knows! So many new faces, if guys like Noah Ohlsen can improve their Oly lifts then I can see them making a run at it, Fraser is a monster and I expect to see him up there. He just needs a little more experience, regardless, it will be exciting! I also liked Will Moorad a lot, I hope to see more of him coming up.
Old 08-07-2014, 07:21 AM   #1772
Luke Sirakos

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Alford View Post
The wolf climbing the mountain (except in Rich's case??) I don't know, I think CLB has a good shot, her lifts are always improving and she can ramp up cardio before the regionals and games, as needed. I definitely want to see Foucher up there again, she's tough as nails!

As for the men's, who knows! So many new faces, if guys like Noah Ohlsen can improve their Oly lifts then I can see them making a run at it, Fraser is a monster and I expect to see him up there. He just needs a little more experience, regardless, it will be exciting! I also liked Will Moorad a lot, I hope to see more of him coming up.
Rich was just on a different level, I think in the future there will be plenty of competitors that would give Rich in his prime a strong run for his money but during the past four years it hasn't been there. With the women I wouldn't be surprised if there is a new winner each year.
Old 08-07-2014, 07:30 AM   #1773
Snir Golan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludovic Deguy View Post
Camille Leblanc-Bazinet will dominate the competition for the next years. Period !
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Sirakos View Post
I am going to go out on a limb and disagree, I have a feeling she won't see the podium. Not taking anything away from her but I feel that the womens competition can be closer than the mens (with Rich competing) and the wolf climbing the mountain is always hungrier than the one sitting on top.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario Beltran View Post
Never. I say, she doesn't get on the podium again. Without the slip of Sam Briggs, she would have never won this year.
I say, as long as Sam Briggs competes and doesn't get sick or injured, she will dominate the women. Something like this year won't happen again.
i agree with these guys. i will be amazed if she gets 1st again. if Annie and Briggs are back next year, she will not see 1st again.
Old 08-07-2014, 07:32 AM   #1774
Snir Golan

Profile:

am i the only one that thinks that Fraser is actually really really similar to Rich? i said it even before the Games but everytime i look at him work i think of Rich. his strength, his engine and the way he moves are very similar to Rich.
Old 08-07-2014, 08:18 AM   #1775
Jayme Gruber

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario Beltran View Post
Never. I say, she doesn't get on the podium again. Without the slip of Sam Briggs, she would have never won this year.
I say, as long as Sam Briggs competes and doesn't get sick or injured, she will dominate the women. Something like this year won't happen again.
I don't know about never making the podium again. She obviously has gotten very strong and her gymnastics are amazing. I think this year had a lot of emphasis on gymnastics so that helped her, but I could see her hovering around the top for the next few years.
Old 08-07-2014, 08:58 AM   #1776
Tristan Hoyle

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayme Gruber View Post
I don't know about never making the podium again. She obviously has gotten very strong and her gymnastics are amazing. I think this year had a lot of emphasis on gymnastics so that helped her, but I could see her hovering around the top for the next few years.
I would disagree that this years Games had a heavy gymnastics focus. The regionals absolutely did, however, The games were very balanced if you add up the numbers of Monostructural, Gymanastics, and Weightlifting elements. I believe that it just seems that the games were more gymnastics biased because the past few years they have been fairly heavily screwed towards the barbell.
Old 08-07-2014, 09:06 AM   #1777
Victor J McQuaide

Profile:

I think that Rich will have a super team.. many will want to go and train with him and be on the team. Taking just his present Mayhem guys and girls would be tough to win.

Matt F might be the one who gets the top step.

CLB, Sam B, Annie, L Fisher.. who knows.. just about who steps up the training, has a good week and the workouts are in their favor.
Old 08-07-2014, 09:39 AM   #1778
Jayme Gruber

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristan Hoyle View Post
I would disagree that this years Games had a heavy gymnastics focus. The regionals absolutely did, however, The games were very balanced if you add up the numbers of Monostructural, Gymanastics, and Weightlifting elements. I believe that it just seems that the games were more gymnastics biased because the past few years they have been fairly heavily screwed towards the barbell.
So, they were more skewed towards gymnastics vs previous Games then? Glad we're in agreement.
Old 08-07-2014, 11:10 AM   #1779
Christopher Morris

Profile:

CrossFit as a sport has developed to the point that any of the top 10 could win any given year, depending on the programming. The exception has been Rich Froning, who has been a stand out year after year. He says the field is getting better, but he still wins. I doubt we'll see a stand-out like Rich for many years, if ever.

Camille got stronger and won. Her challenge will be to keep an appropriate balance of skills. If she continues to develop strength, other aspects may suffer. This is her year to balance, and not overdo it on any given skill set. When stength develops it feels good, and it can be enticing to overdo it. Some of the men made comments in the last few years about being too bulky, and they'll cut back 10 pounds of bodyweight. It will be interesting to follow Camille this year.
Old 08-07-2014, 01:29 PM   #1780
Tristan Hoyle

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayme Gruber View Post
So, they were more skewed towards gymnastics vs previous Games then? Glad we're in agreement.
Yes they were more heavy than previous games. I'm sorry if I misinterpreted your quote, but it read to me as you saying that they were gymnastics heavy in general, not in comparison to previous games.