CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 04-16-2014, 01:58 AM   #271
Mario Beltran

Profile:
Re: 2014 CrossFit Open, Regionals, and Games Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Alt View Post
Is anyone else stunned at how many people are declining individual invitations to regionals? In North Central, last I checked 22 of the top 60 women had declined. Other regions have similar hits.

Is team going to be the thing to watch this year? I know it is for me, since my gym's team is currently top seed in our region...but is it going to be that way everywhere?
Besides the fact, that a lot of guys seem to thing that chances going to the games are bigger with the team, you have to consider the situations in the regions.
North Central for women is nearly impossible. Elisabeth Akinwale and Stacie Tovar are super strong, that's one open spot. Midatlantic is similar.
Old 04-16-2014, 05:48 AM   #272
Jenni Hartman

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Morris View Post
Great! That's exciting. Have fun!

It looks like the way they are handling video submissions is more discreet than the way Josh Golden and Danielle Sidell were disqualified last year. I like it. It seems like a better system.

In my region Hack's Pack decided to go individual. Tommy Hackenbruck finished first in the Open and Adrian Conway got third. Why not take a shot at individual competition with that kind of finish?
I know on the men's side of North Central, Macy Mitchell knew he was absolutely not competing at Regionals, so he didn't bother to submit a video - so he doesn't even appear on the leaderboard any longer. There may be a few more of those all over.

Hack's Pack was insane, should be interesting to see how they compete individually. I'm sure they will be ones to beat.

Something interesting I'm noting from training for team Regionals - the volume of work you do as a team member is so much less than what you do as an individual over the course of the weekend. Part of the reason that, at this point, I would not do individual versus team (not that I even qualified individually). I need someone to pick up my slack!
Old 04-16-2014, 06:58 AM   #273
Jason A Smith

Profile:

The amount of women who declined does not surprise me at all.

The way the structure the upper body gymnastics of Crossfit, there are only a certain number of women that can do them, most of the girls who can would be top 60 in the Open (with some exceptions). Most gyms do not have multiple women who can do MUs and string butterfly C2B's, there are however usually a number of men that can. At this point in order to actually have a team to go to Regionals the pool for the women is a lot smaller.

I would be a Regiuonals team member level of competitor and placed 90ish in my Region, more men accepted than women but not a surprise. I think this is the same phenomenon that surrounds local events. There are piles more men (usually) in Rx then there are women. Stands to reason it would be the same for this.
Old 04-17-2014, 05:00 PM   #274
Jesse Gray

Profile:

Bottom line, if you finished outside the top 10 in the open your chances of making it to the games are between slim and none and I just saw Slim getting on the last bus out of town...

For these elite but second tier athletes, going team is the best shot they have at making the games and I don't blame them for taking it!
Old 04-17-2014, 06:39 PM   #275
Jason A Smith

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Gray View Post
Bottom line, if you finished outside the top 10 in the open your chances of making it to the games are between slim and none and I just saw Slim getting on the last bus out of town...

For these elite but second tier athletes, going team is the best shot they have at making the games and I don't blame them for taking it!
I would say this is mostly true. There will be the odd Games level athlete that coasted a bit more during the Open.

But for the most part this is 100% true.
Old 04-17-2014, 07:25 PM   #276
Tristan Hoyle

Profile:

Masters qualifying WOD's released! I like them. The Row/HSPU looks like a lot of fun. I think it's a good test to go on to the games.
Old 04-17-2014, 10:30 PM   #277
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Eventually, I think, Team Comps will start filling in more and more with Regional level competitors. Give it about 3 years.
Old 05-09-2014, 10:31 AM   #278
Christopher Morris

Profile:

I just tried out the sprint-legless rope climb Regionals workout, and I loved it. It's one of those elegant workouts that is taxing in just the right way. One of the things I love about CrossFit is that I can do the same workouts competitors do, and have some idea of what they're going through. I can't feel the same way about NFL or NBA, etc.

For context: in my region, I finished the Open in the 8th percentile - bottom 8th, not top. I'm not exactly competition material. I also just got over food poisoning last weekend, and this was my first workout back at it. My home gym has an 11.5' rope climb, and the 200m run in my neighborhood goes down my driveway, the slight downhill along the sidewalk to a total 100m distance, and then uphill on the way back.

In the Update Show, Pat Sherwood said that this workout will be won in the run, and that's the truth. I did all the rope climbs without waiting or feeling close to failure. I thought I might be using my feet in later rounds, but did all 10 rounds legless, no problem.

My first round was done by 48 seconds, and my runs got slower after that. The time cap hit me when I was in the middle of the 9th run. I went on to finish the 10th round at 13:18.

I felt a little "hello" in my right knee by the end. I think that was due to the fact that I was dropping from 11.5' on each rope climb down onto my fall pad. No problem with the drops, just started to feel it in the run by the end. If Regional athletes are dropping from 14' it could definitely be a factor in their running.

Legburner and armburner. Great workout!
Old 05-11-2014, 08:21 PM   #279
Desmond Pegrum

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Morris View Post
One of the things I love about CrossFit is that I can do the same workouts competitors do, and have some idea of what they're going through. I can't feel the same way about NFL or NBA, etc.
What about the 100m at the olympics ? 99.9 percent of people in the world can sprint/walk/jog 100m, doesn't really mean you know what it's like to be Usain Bolt
Old 05-12-2014, 09:27 AM   #280
Michael Cook

Profile:

My thoughts on watching some of the live streams and highlights from the first weekend at regionals:

Handstand walk: If you do poorly on this wod, you could be out of the running for a Games spot quickly.

Rope climb: For the men, this is a sprint. For the women, this is a paced event. Women can't afford any misses if they want to succeed at this event.

50's: The wall ball - ring dip - wall ball section is key. If you go too hard on the wall balls, the workout will come to a grinding halt.

Pull ups & OHS: I was very suprised that people in both mens and womens in Canada West fell out of a qualifying spot because of failed reps at the OHS.

Teams: If everyone on your team can do MU, strict HSPU, and OHS then you'll do well. If not, then your team will not do well at Regionals.