CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 05-21-2005, 02:12 PM   #21
Matt Gagliardi

Profile:
Oh come on, I'm hardly taking over...

Sorry, I don't know Randy, though I do know of him. I don't think that we had any of his guys at Pep when I was there. The only coach I really knew from the San Diego area was a guy by the name of Robin who was my goalie coach at OTC development camp...he coached at Valhalla HS in El Cajon. We didn't draw many guys from San Diego back in the day. I think Chris Hakim and his brothers from San Clemente were probably the guys from furthest south.

I'll definitely post up...I'll get to this early this week and let you know how it goes.

And all of y'all know I'm not calling you pussies (or you should know that)...I don't want to get my *** kicked. :wink:
Old 05-21-2005, 06:54 PM   #22
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
Great, the first one to try this smokes me. Sub 10 would be great and would require sending off each wall every 30 seconds. It takes me about 20 seconds per length so that's 10 seconds rest per length. I can do that for up to 6 lengths but then I have to add several seconds before every send off. Doing it in 11 minutes is really fast...but I suppose that should be no surprise from this hornets nest of superhumans. Clearly I have me work cut out for me to try and keep up.
Old 05-21-2005, 08:33 PM   #23
Eric Moffit

Profile:
i was just getting defensive, Matt...youd think id be used to you putting me to shame by now.

Eugene, dont feel bad...swimming is just my thing (swimming since age 2...every-summer-day-until-i-couldnt-open-my-eyes kind of thing).

oh, and if you thought that was good, just wait...i have a feeling Matt's going to smoke that time w/ a 20lb vest instead of fins and while dragging a 5gal bucket.
Old 05-23-2005, 05:10 AM   #24
Don Woodson

Profile:
Damn, I wish I had access to a pool! I'd love to get in on this one.
Thanks for clearing up my snorkel/fin issues Eugene. Now I know what I need.
Eric, same way here. I remember swimming until I was shivering, my lips were blue, and my fingers were wrinkled, and even then I'd only get out when my mom yelled at me.
Old 05-23-2005, 01:14 PM   #25
Matt Gagliardi

Profile:
Read it and weep...

9:07.58

After a 3000 yard workout. In a dragsuit.

Truth be told, this wasn't really pushing it. Sub-9 is reasonable...I think something in the 8:30 range or below is not out of the realm of possibility, even for my decidedly non-Olympian abilities.

OK...I did it with fins (it's rare that I use them). Now it's y'alls turn. Same challenge, but minus the help. I'll do that in the back half of the week. Let's see what you guys can do.

PS-
I know I'm not "all that". I strongly suspect there are some boys in green around here that would wave as they passed me on this one.
Old 05-23-2005, 01:29 PM   #26
Eric Moffit

Profile:
mine was with a drag suit to, so there.

seriously though, what was your technique like, Matt? as i stated above, i started off thinking it would be way harder than it was and went with a slow, strong kick. this wasnt as smart as i thought itd be. next time ill go w/ a faster kick throughout.
Old 05-23-2005, 01:49 PM   #27
Matt Gagliardi

Profile:
Well, right of the bat E I think I need a much smaller hole in the water than you do...that helps me right there. You weigh what...200? I'm only 170. I'm sure your cross section is bigger.

Kept a good streamlined shape w/hands leading. Strong kick, slower than it was fast (yeah I know...master of clarity). I was hitting walls at about :20, taking 2 breaths and going again.

Basically I was just trying to stay relaxed. I think I could get it down to :15-:17 wall-to-wall with a 2-3 breath rest. Without a swim buddy I was hesitant to push it...the lifeguards at my pool don't exactly inspire confidence.
Old 05-24-2005, 03:54 PM   #28
Brendan Melville

Profile:
Gosh, whats next Matt, no legs? How about try it with your snazzy weighted vest haha.
Old 05-24-2005, 04:14 PM   #29
Matt Gagliardi

Profile:
Honestly, I don't think adding weight would matter much. I sink like a freakin' rock as it is. Since you're underwater to begin with, it'd just keep you near the bottom...which isn't a big deal. At speed with the fins, just angling your hands a bit would keep you from scraping bottom...generating lift just like the wing of a plane.

Ditching the fins will make this a lot more difficult. I'm betting that times will come close to doubling, if not more. The other way to make it more difficult would be to insist on multiple laps (not coming up)...with the second/third/etc. lap only counting if you made it the whole way. If you bailed, you'd have to go back to the last wall.
Old 05-26-2005, 11:37 AM   #30
Ron Nelson

Profile:
As posted by 24hr fitness:
"For the benefit of our members and instructors: No lap swimming during all water-aerobics classes"

I always thought the pool at the gym was a place for the elderly to walk and talk without the fear of falling and breaking a hip. Now, I have a reason to go in and don my speedo!!