CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 01-23-2007, 07:11 AM   #1
Christine Crawford

Profile:
My second attempt at the Total workout and I broke 300 so I'm happy about that. My question is, does the one-rep max have to be of good form? I can deadlift my body weight (125ish) but when lowering the barbell to the floor, I use too much of my back and almost drop the weight as it passes my lower shins. Does that attempt count?
Old 01-23-2007, 01:48 PM   #2
Jon Gilson

Profile:
Like anything else, it only matters if YOU want it to count. If shoddy form is okay with you, count it. If not...don't.

If you're striving for perfection, you shouldn't settle for anything less.

Best,

Jon
Old 01-23-2007, 04:29 PM   #3
Garrett Smith

Profile:
Poor form not only tends to lead towards injuries, it also tends to allow the ego to grow unchecked--the bigger they are, the harder they fall.

Also, with poor form, when you go get coaching of any type, the reduction in weight necessary to gain back proper form may be somewhat embarassing (note ego comment above).

Last thing--if you'd like to workout until you're "older", get the good form habits now. Nothing stops a senior's exercise plan like injuries from poor form, as they don't have the wiggle room of younger people.
Old 01-24-2007, 07:11 AM   #4
Christine Crawford

Profile:
Thanks for the information. I don't want to use bad form. I generally focus on minimal weight with an emphasis on proper form therefore, workout with a PVC pipe many times. I wasn't sure if perfect form was a given with the Total workout or, since you are going for max, form can be a little off. Thanks again! Believe me, I don't want to get injured. I started CrossFit as a way to avoid injury as an endurance runner and don't have any lofty ambitions other than staying strong and fit. No ego here!
Old 01-24-2007, 07:40 AM   #5
Sean Harrison

Profile:
You have the cutest avatar!

Check some of the exercise videos on the menu on the top left of the main page...that should give you an idea on how strict you have to be.
Old 01-24-2007, 07:46 AM   #6
Craig Van De Walker

Profile:
Christine,
A DL counts if it goes up properly and you don't completely let go of it on the way down, so I would say from a purely powerlifting standpoint it did count.

As Garret pointed out, once you get past the young "heal from almost any abuse" years you want to take care of yourself! Always pay close attention to your back position when deadlifting!

Your DL form should be so strict that if the weight is too heavy it does not leave the floor! If you do get a DL to come off of the ground and you get it up make sure you bend your legs and keep your back from rounding on the way down! I tell people to think of squating down to lower the weight.
Old 01-24-2007, 08:18 AM   #7
Peter Terry Haas

Profile:
I'm of the opinion that a deadlift is mainly about picking a weight up, not about putting it down. Pick it up with perfect form. Put it down with a straight back, but you can come away from the legs a little bit and let gravity help you out. Putting it down slowly wastes energy for your next attempt.

I think this only applies to heavy weight/low reps, if you are doing multiple reps you have to use strict form on the way down. Otherwise, you'll mess up the pull on the next rep.
Old 01-24-2007, 09:11 AM   #8
Aushion Chatman

Profile:
Christine, my take, which may be slightly against the norm of what's been posted already, is that when you're hitting it HEAVY, sometimes your form does break down a little. In large doses I think that's unhealthy, which is why generally when I get up in weight ( ie x > 95% 1rm) I put on a belt. (I'm talking deadlift, back squat here) I've seen many strong lifts with poorer form (not atrocious, but not perfect either).

(Message edited by Aush on January 24, 2007)
Old 01-24-2007, 09:12 AM   #9
Christine Crawford

Profile:
Thanks for the compliment Sean! That's how I look when I run! Add a beat red face and tongue hanging out when I work with Ryan my CrossFit trainer.
Old 01-25-2007, 01:10 AM   #10
Matthew Swift

Profile:
Sorry Off Topic ...

Sean and Christine, if your two avatars got together they would make great looking avatar babies:-)