CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Closed Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 06:24 PM   #1
Patrick Vuong

Profile:
Charles Poliquin on CrossFit again!

http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_a...trength_vol_47
You must indicate whether your links are Work and Family Safe (WFS) AND T-BAG IS NOT WFS.
What do you all think about this article?

Old 10-27-2009, 06:38 PM   #2
William Clark

Profile:
Re: Charles Poliquin on CrossFit again!

That article's almost a year old...but that being said, some of his points are absolutely right, and some are opinion.

Crossfit isn't designed to make an individual elite in any one aspect of fitness, it's designed to make you above average in all of them. Which is exactly what most Crossfitter's are looking for. Also, I agree with his statement about certification, simply paying your $1000 doesn't mean you know everything about fitness, and a legitimate trainer should know this, and shape their advice/teaching appropriately.

However on the other hand, I don't think his statement about the number of reps of olympic lifts is quite accurate, especially in relation to Crossfit workouts. While this may be true for olympic lifts close to max effort, doing a 135 lb hang clean for 10 reps isn't particularly dangerous, which is what most WODs consist of, or are intended to consist of, at least to my understanding. This also applies to his point about the order of exercises, I don't believe this is relevant when the goal isn't to lift max weight, but to lift sub-maximal weights as fast as possible

Old 10-27-2009, 07:01 PM   #3
Jacob Israel Briskin

Profile:

Nice first post.

Old 10-27-2009, 07:23 PM   #4
Michael Henry

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Clark View Post

Crossfit isn't designed to make an individual elite in any one aspect of fitness, it's designed to make you above average in all of them. Which is exactly what most Crossfitter's are looking for.
Yeah, his points are great but we aren't here to specialize.

Quote:
Also, I agree with his statement about certification, simply paying your $1000 doesn't mean you know everything about fitness, and a legitimate trainer should know this, and shape their advice/teaching appropriately.
Anti articles refer to this all the time, in regards to the Level 1 Cert being just a weekend and BAM! You are a trainer. I'm sure it happens, and just like everything else you get good and bad, but I like to believe that most people that attend a Level 1 Cert and become trainers are not brand new to fitness (or training).

Old 10-27-2009, 09:28 PM   #5
Lewis Dunn

Profile:

Quote:
...I don't think his statement about the number of reps of olympic lifts is quite accurate, especially in relation to Crossfit workouts. While this may be true for olympic lifts close to max effort, doing a 135 lb hang clean for 10 reps isn't particularly dangerous, which is what most WODs consist of, or are intended to consist of, at least to my understanding.
But the hang clean is not an Oly lift. My guess is he was more likely referring to something like Grace or Isabel (30 reps for time of C&J or snatch, respectively).

Old 10-27-2009, 10:03 PM   #6
Stephen Dumesnil

Profile:

I like learning the scientific side of fitness and reading random articles, all that is great. There comes a time when you just have to put out or get out, and that's why I like crossfit. You don't sit there for hours picking apart every aspect of every exercise and figuring out how they benefit you most, I like to get out there, put myself in uncomfortable situations and see how I perform. That's what crossfit is about to me and that's what draws me to it. Sitting in a A/C'd gym for 2 hours focusing on my biceps isn't exactly "fun" to me, nor does it help me in any other aspect of my life besides "impressing" chicks at bars.

So you can show me 20 articles about why crossfit isn't the "perfect" way to work out, and then I'll give you 20 examples of how sometimes life isn't "perfect" and you may encounter sitautions that don't allow "adequate rest", especially in the military. All-in-all, preparing myself mentally to tackle any obstacle no matter the "order" or "quantity" is way more beneficial than anything else.

Last edited by Stephen Dumesnil : 10-27-2009 at 10:10 PM.

Old 10-30-2009, 06:01 PM   #7
Clay Jones

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Vuong View Post
http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_a...trength_vol_47
You must indicate whether your links are Work and Family Safe (WFS) AND T-BAG IS NOT WFS.
What do you all think about this article?
I think it is too long. He could have just said " I don't like CrossFit" and moved on.

Old 10-30-2009, 06:56 PM   #8
Alex Bond

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Dumesnil View Post
I like learning the scientific side of fitness and reading random articles, all that is great. There comes a time when you just have to put out or get out, and that's why I like crossfit. You don't sit there for hours picking apart every aspect of every exercise and figuring out how they benefit you most, I like to get out there, put myself in uncomfortable situations and see how I perform. That's what crossfit is about to me and that's what draws me to it. Sitting in a A/C'd gym for 2 hours focusing on my biceps isn't exactly "fun" to me, nor does it help me in any other aspect of my life besides "impressing" chicks at bars.

So you can show me 20 articles about why crossfit isn't the "perfect" way to work out, and then I'll give you 20 examples of how sometimes life isn't "perfect" and you may encounter sitautions that don't allow "adequate rest", especially in the military. All-in-all, preparing myself mentally to tackle any obstacle no matter the "order" or "quantity" is way more beneficial than anything else.
I don't think anyone is asking you to spend 2 hours on curls. His point is, if you want to be an elite competitor in a sport, Crossfit isn't the ticket. I don't think anyone involved with Crossfit would deny this - it is openly GPP, not sport specific. If you think he's wrong, then make that argument, but don't strawman him by saying your only two choices of what to do in the gym are Crossfit and curls. Later on in the article, he recommends a program of squats, deadlifts, presses, dips, rows, and pullups for novice trainees short on time. You could do a lot worse than that - in fact, look at the number of people having Starting Strength recommended to them on these boards. That program might well be better for some people than Crossfit. Take it easy on the Kool-aid, dude.

Old 10-30-2009, 07:03 PM   #9
Barry Cooper

Profile:

Interviewer: Charles, does this emerging fitness protocol which is growing by leaps and bounds concern you?

Charles: Yes, it does. I feel the need to misunderstand it, then criticize it from that basis. Bad, bad; it is very bad. It isn't what I do.

Interviewer: Nuff' Said. Let's move on to some more pictures of roided up bodybuilders. Cue the death metal. How can you not be bada$$ when you listen to Metallica?

Charles: yes, I am much more comfortable dealing with questions of pecdef and abdef. Do you want to talk about nutrition, or supersets?

Old 10-30-2009, 09:41 PM   #10
Stephen Dumesnil

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Bond View Post
I don't think anyone is asking you to spend 2 hours on curls. His point is, if you want to be an elite competitor in a sport, Crossfit isn't the ticket.
Agreed, never doubted that. Comment on the curls was an exaggeration...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Bond View Post
Take it easy on the Kool-aid, dude.
Sorry, didn't mean to steal the wind out of the dudes sales, I'll go ahead and give him his props of being able to train elite athletes to perform specific task very well at olympic levels. He just seemed to undermine crossfit, and I was just pointing out that crossfit is designed to create functional results used in real life situations by many people. So in that sense, it's very effective in my line of work and my life.

Closed Thread