CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 05-15-2009, 06:34 AM   #1
Ned Ferguson

Profile:
Lyoto Machida wants to fight Lesner

Lyoto Machida wants to test himself against Brock Lesnar. WFS

Holy cow. That would be fun to see.
Old 05-15-2009, 06:51 AM   #2
Michael DeLuca

Profile:
Re: Lyoto Machida wants to fight Lesner

That's like me saying I'd like to challenge Josh Everett to a Clean and Jerk duel.
Old 05-15-2009, 09:42 AM   #3
Augustine Castronovo

Profile:

i am all about machida, but i think he needs to be focusing on the task at hand
Old 05-15-2009, 10:48 AM   #4
Shane Gibson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael DeLuca View Post
That's like me saying I'd like to challenge Josh Everett to a Clean and Jerk duel.
Machida's elusiveness, accurate counter striking and ability to game plan combined with Lesnar's inexperience and, at time, reckless aggressiveness causes me to give Machida a real good chance in this fight.

But I couldn't agree more, he needs to be focused on Evans. I hope Machida takes Evans out, I think he is more than capable and I think Evans could use a little humility. I am afraid we are going to see a pretty boring feeling out type of chess match between Evans and Machida as they both tend to stand back and counterstrike exploiting their opponents mistakes...and they both can't do that, one of them is going to have to step outside their comfort zone and be the aggressor.
Old 05-15-2009, 11:22 AM   #5
Michael DeLuca

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Gibson View Post
Machida's elusiveness, accurate counter striking and ability to game plan combined with Lesnar's inexperience and, at time, reckless aggressiveness causes me to give Machida a real good chance in this fight.

But I couldn't agree more, he needs to be focused on Evans. I hope Machida takes Evans out, I think he is more than capable and I think Evans could use a little humility. I am afraid we are going to see a pretty boring feeling out type of chess match between Evans and Machida as they both tend to stand back and counterstrike exploiting their opponents mistakes...and they both can't do that, one of them is going to have to step outside their comfort zone and be the aggressor.
Machida would be at (understatement of the year) a severe size and strength disadvantage. As soon as Lesnar got his hands on him, he's going for a ride whether he likes it or not. It would be a boring mauling if it did not end quick. Is Machida going to run around the ring for 15 minutes? He sure as hell isn't going to knock Lesnar out, so that would mean he'd be within range for a takedown, which would most assuredly happen, over and over.

But like you said, Machida should be focusing on Evans publicly, I know privately he definitely is. I don't think he's going to beat Rashad, so for him to say he'd like to fight Lesnar is ridiculous.

I would like to see it though.
Old 05-16-2009, 07:42 AM   #6
Cole Troxell

Profile:

I think Machida is capable of running around the ring for 15 minutes. I'm not saying he would win or lose but what I am saying is it could be a mauling but not likely I think credit isn't being giving to Machida here cause where Talking bout Lesnar who is a beast in stature. Lesnar has really only been impressive against Heath Herring who is nt on top of his game these days, beating Couture was just
"catching him" and nothing more Couture game plan was solid you could see in Lesnars eyes he wasnt prepared to fight against that strategy and quit frankly got lucky with his size and strength, I personally am not a believer in Lesnar just yet he has the size, strength and wrestling ability but is not quit there so yes I think Machida could very much so hold his own in many scenerios against him
Old 05-18-2009, 05:35 AM   #7
Jeffrey Crawford

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole Troxell View Post
beating Couture was just
"catching him" and nothing more Couture
I love the "I just got caught" arguments....Brock threw a punch and Randy caught it with his dome....That sounds like exactly what Brock wanted. Now if you had said that Brock size advantage was the main component of that win I would have agreed.

Quote:
I personally am not a believer in Lesnar just yet he has the size, strength and wrestling ability but is not quit there so yes I think Machida could very much so hold his own in many scenerios against him
These three things mean a lot especially in MMA, and none of them are acquired by being lucky. Machida gets slammed on his head till his eardrums burst into karate rainbows......Unless he can out run Brock for 15 minutes.
Old 05-18-2009, 05:48 AM   #8
Scott Moore.

Profile:

[quote=Jeffrey Crawford;590549]I love the "I just got caught" arguments....Brock threw a punch and Randy caught it with his dome....That sounds like exactly what Brock wanted. Now if you had said that Brock size advantage was the main component of that win I would have agreed. [quote]

+1

How is a punch considered lucky or unlucky? If you throw a punch at a person's face and it hits and it's strong enough to knock him out/down then how is it anything but a good punch?

Randy was holding his own with Brock but Brock was still winning the match in my eyes. Randy had a good game plan but I don't think it could make up for the size and strength advantage.

Machida would have to fight smart against Lesner but then again that's how Machida normally fights. Machida has a much better stand up game and has proven Ju-Jitsu whereas Lesner has the superior Wrestling and G&P. Machida would have to really be on guard for Lesner's shoot and take downs but I think he could give Lesner a solid fight.

I'm not a fan of Lesner (in fact I hope Mir beats him at UFC 100) but I think that he's proven himself to be for real and not just a publicity stunt. Unlike Bimbo Slice who was just used for ratings.
http://pantherfit.blogspot.com/And those who had seen it told how he who had been possessed with demons was healed -Luke 8:36
Old 05-18-2009, 09:38 AM   #9
Cole Troxell

Profile:

alright, Randy got hit in an attempted slip of a punch by a large fist so theres your "he got caught" it wasnt a beat down and Randy just was getting dealt with his game plan was solid and in my opinion he got caught. and as far as Lesnar goes I have yet to see him slam anyone on there head strong takedowns, yes slams not yet and yea size does matter in mma but its ignorant to count out a good fighter due to size disadvantage
Old 05-18-2009, 11:07 AM   #10
Michael DeLuca

Profile:

Quote:
alright, Randy got hit in an attempted slip of a punch by a large fist so theres your "he got caught" it wasnt a beat down and Randy just was getting dealt with his game plan was solid and in my opinion he got caught. and as far as Lesnar goes I have yet to see him slam anyone on there head strong takedowns, yes slams not yet and yea size does matter in mma but its ignorant to count out a good fighter due to size disadvantage
I doubt you'll ever see him slam an opponent on their head unless he wants the DQ.

I really have a hard time contemplating how Machida would give Lesnar a good fight. Herring was 265# and absolutely no match on the ground for Lesnar. Frank Mir got abused on the ground in their first fight and for all intents and purposes may have been stopped in 100 seconds if not for a bogus stand up for a 100% accidential strike to the back/top of the head on a rolling opponent. The Couture fight spoke for itself, I think Randy was rusty, but he still got beaten into the mat. Is Machida going to pull off a leg submission? That would be the only way I see him beating Lesnar. Anything on the upper body will be difficult to pull off just due to the strength and aggressiveness of Lesnar.

I hate to keep sounding like a Lesnar fanboy, but he's going to be extremely tough for Heavyweights to beat, let alone a light heavyweight, who IMO, hasn't impressed yet.

Great wrestlers do very well in MMA. They tend to control the levels of their fights.

Last edited by Michael DeLuca : 05-18-2009 at 11:11 AM.