CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 04-21-2008, 08:41 AM   #1
Kristofer Shamloo

Profile:
Charles Poliquin: A question of strength

Charles Poliquin writes a monthly column for T-nation, of the writers for T-nation he is one of whom I respect the most.

This weeks issue:
http://www.t-nation.com/article/most...strength_april

I love the comment on getting females to do pull-ups, women can be trained to do pull-ups. Anyone ever taken zinc supplements?

Thoughts in general?
Old 04-21-2008, 11:23 AM   #2
Scott Ponte

Profile:
Re: Charles Poliquin: A question of strength

I've taken Zinc supplements in the form of ZMA or zinc magnesium. Its supposed to increased testosterone levels (muscle building, and recovery assitance), help you get deeper sleep etc.

My experiance has been wierd. I took it and for the first few nights I had REALLY wierd vivd dreams (You take it before bed). Almost to the point of where I was restless, I didn't noticed that I was tired though, just that my senses seemed sharper while I was sleeping if that make sense.

I didn't really take it long enough because I have a hard time keeping to a pill schedule, but it seemed to work well for the time I tried it. If anything take it for the insane dreams... trippin man.
Old 04-21-2008, 01:13 PM   #3
Frank E Morel

Profile:

took it... didn't notice anything, linda on the other hand.. that was sleep
Old 04-21-2008, 03:20 PM   #4
Shane Skowron

Profile:

Interesting article. He says "never stretch before lifting weights." He doesn't explain why though. Is this limited only to static stretches? Looking around the boards, it seems that static stretches can be counterproductive to power output, but I don't really understand why. Can anyone explain?
Old 04-21-2008, 03:24 PM   #5
Kristofer Shamloo

Profile:

I never stretch before lifting, I usually just go through all the major lifts on an empty barbell. I feel to prepare for activity you must be active, I prefer stretching statically in the shower post-workout and before bed.
Old 04-21-2008, 05:06 PM   #6
Roger Harrell

Profile:

Studies have shown about a 10% reduction in power output for up to an hour or so following static stretching. You'd have to read the studies to get the specifics on how much or how intense the stretching sessions were, but it is there. Stretching fatigues the muscles.
Old 04-21-2008, 05:17 PM   #7
Toby Jurging

Profile:

Static stretching also has a counterproductive effect on the neuromuscular system....putting it simply, it tells your NMS to "go to sleep, rest".

We don't want to sleep prior to being really active, powerful..at least I don't.

Treat your body like a car engine on a cold day.....
1. turn on ignition.... isometric contractions, activate NMS
2. turn on engine .... dynamic flexibility....let it run awhile
3. HIT THE GAS
4. turn off the engine... Static Stretch
5. turn off the ignition... Get in your house

probably a dumb analogy, but maybe it makes you think a little
Old 04-21-2008, 05:38 PM   #8
Steven Low

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Harrell View Post
Studies have shown about a 10% reduction in power output for up to an hour or so following static stretching. You'd have to read the studies to get the specifics on how much or how intense the stretching sessions were, but it is there. Stretching fatigues the muscles.
Studies I read said 15%. But whatever.. it's more or less the same. And this is for ~15 minutes after stretching.

If anyone wants to know here's the cause:

The muscle spindles when stretched send feedback to the autonomic nervous system which tells the muscles to contract to resist the further enlongation of the muscle. Since you're forcing the muscle apart even more with a static stretch there is quite a bit of eccentric motion going on. Staying in a static will start to inhibit muscle spindle feedback to the ANS. This relates back to power and strength in the fact that as your muscles elongate in the eccentric portion of the lift the muscle spindles basically prepare your body to stop the eccentric and go into the concentric portion (aka stretch-shorten reflex). So the inhibition of the muscle spindles leads to less stimulation of counter-contractibility to the eccentric leading to a loss in power generation.

Not a bad article.. not particularly great though. I still don't like him prescribing splits though because for 90%+ of the people a full body will be better. Just because he coaches elite athletes in which overloading the CNS is a major factor and needs to be avoided (hence why splits are better for elite athletes in some cases), that it applies to everyone. The existence of Starting Strength and other great full body programs prove this wrong though. Whatever.

Pullups was good though.
Old 04-21-2008, 05:52 PM   #9
Kristofer Shamloo

Profile:

This was not one of his best articles, for hypertrophy I feel his body split program is fine for anyone with at least a year and a half of lifting with a full body regimen. T-nation has a large intermediate-advanced lifting crowd who train for hypertrophy/strength predominately. That being said I feel the split routine is the way to go for more advanced trainees.
Old 04-21-2008, 06:13 PM   #10
Shane Skowron

Profile:

Steven, thanks for the explanation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
Studies I read said 15%. But whatever.. it's more or less the same. And this is for ~15 minutes after stretching.

If anyone wants to know here's the cause:

The muscle spindles when stretched send feedback to the autonomic nervous system which tells the muscles to contract to resist the further enlongation of the muscle. Since you're forcing the muscle apart even more with a static stretch there is quite a bit of eccentric motion going on. Staying in a static will start to inhibit muscle spindle feedback to the ANS. This relates back to power and strength in the fact that as your muscles elongate in the eccentric portion of the lift the muscle spindles basically prepare your body to stop the eccentric and go into the concentric portion (aka stretch-shorten reflex). So the inhibition of the muscle spindles leads to less stimulation of counter-contractibility to the eccentric leading to a loss in power generation.