CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 08-15-2007, 03:07 PM   #1
Aushion Chatman

Profile:
So I did the search thing and found a few threads on using grips to help protect your hands/wrists from the tearing and ripping of skin that occurs during say the 30 MU WOD and even pull-ups though I can grit through my hand tears.

Most of the recommendations from Coach Harrell and Somner (sp?) seemed to be to let the hands/wrists naturally toughen up, I may have missed something I only skimmed through the posts.

What is the best way to go about that? I know when my hand is good enough to get back on the bar, but generally if I wait only a week it tears again fairly easily as I don't always clip/sand down all the excess old layer of skin near the tears.

Also the scrapes near my wrist from the muscle ups are brand new, I'd never experienced that prior to my first time with the 30 MU for time WOD. I understand laying off for a while to let it heal (hard for a crossfitter to do), but I think I'd benefit from just wearing sweat bands around my wrist, this way I can quench my MU appetite and allow my wrist to heal, is that a false assumption?

Can I squash all of this by just buying and wearing the grips I've been looking up online lately? (classic ring grips from ten.0)
Old 08-15-2007, 03:16 PM   #2
Michael Leach

Profile:
if you need the sweat bands, wear them. your hands will toughen up eventually. no point ripping your hands open and not being able to finish the workout.
Old 08-15-2007, 03:28 PM   #3
Nick Cummings

Profile:

If you are not using chalk then the fix is to get some chalk.
Old 08-15-2007, 07:17 PM   #4
David Sailor

Profile:
I found wrapping athletic tape loosely around my wrists help alot in preventing the tears there. Sweat bands should work too but I found the tape to stay put and it's kept the spots from re-opening. I'm still getting bruises on the outsides of my arms from the webbing, though. Like Nick said, chalk cures a lot of ills. I use it frequently on my hands for getting a good grip on the rings. David.
Old 08-17-2007, 06:36 PM   #5
Aushion Chatman

Profile:
I use tons of chalk, unfortunately, I'm a sweater. By the end of a longer WOD the chalk is more like mud and doesn't help much. Sweat bands help with that a little though, so maybe I'll go with those and see how I do.

Thanks for the advice. I've lived with this for over a year now, just wondering if those gymnast grips would help, I figure if my hands were going to toughen up they would've by now, I figured maybe I was doing something wrong to allow them to toughen up properly, but it sounds like I just have weak skin.
Old 08-17-2007, 07:57 PM   #6
Thomas Covington

Profile:
I do not get rips but I do have these nasty blood blisters under my calises.