CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 09-21-2012, 03:00 PM   #21
David Meverden

Profile:
Re: Improving the FS drastically

I used to think tons of ab work was mostly beach muscle ab mania infecting other people, but I've come to the conclusion that while many people's ab routines ARE just ridiculous beach muscle fever, isolated ab work can be very important.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John C Corona View Post
Thanks Aushion. Others can chime in too, but I really wanted to know what helped David throw 30+ lbs on his front squat. I do extra ab work, but I really should (do more) get the levers down, more ice cream makers, and that darn ab wheel I hardly ever touch. I also want to know what coach Rick Scarpulla prescribed for David as far as volume is concerned.

And to Ryan, these guys are not wrong in doing extra core work. Most oly programs and even Westside hits the core (aside from the lifts), with pure ab work, every session just about.
Happy to give specifics. Here are a couple weeks worth of actual ab things from my log that I programmed based on Rick's recommendations and what I saw up at his gym though these were not actually programmed by him. I think he actually has his guys (all high level competitive athletes) do more than this. My abs were sore for 5 days after 2 days of working out at his place. My schedule is monday (ME lower), tuesday (DE Upper), thurs (DE Lower), fri (ME Upper), below is just the ab or core work we finished with. I tried to do 4 days/week like this but sometimes was really beat and only did 3 days/week:

Monday: Weighted decline situps w/45# sandbag, 5 sets of ~8
Tuesday: 300 bicycle crunches
Thursday: metcon contained 21, 15, 9 v-ups
Friday: Standing cable ab pulldowns, 3 sets of 10-12 then 3 ~1 min sessions of partner pushups stability (partner holds a pushups plank position as solidly as they can while you shove their shoulders, hips, back or whatever randomly sideways, down, etc. Did this at Rick's place where he would actually kick you in the stomach to make sure you were staying tight. GREAT exercise. Need to make a video.)
Monday: ab rollouts with wheel (from knees) 15, 15, 10, 10, 11, 10, 9
Tuesday: metcon contained 100-80-60-40-20 of bicycle crunches
Thursday: Crunches with band running from post to feet to add resistances 5x7-9, then ring tuck holds for max time x 3-4
Friday: Leg lifts and windshield wipers (while laying on back. I hold a 45# plate or sandbag at the end of straight arms above my chest to help counter balance, a trick I learned at Rick's place), alternating by 10's (10 lifts, 10 wipers, repeat 'til you can't. I might get 10-10-10-10 the first set). About 100 reps total. Then yoke walk with weight hanging from bar on bands.

Lately I've also been doing a lot of lying leg lifts with a 10 to 25# plate strapped to my ankles, or strict hanging leg raises from a bar. All good stuff. Tim and I outline our favorite movements also in the Rick Scapulla trip thread: http://www.board.crossfit.com/showth...=71512&page=37 (WFS)
Old 09-22-2012, 12:14 PM   #22
David Meverden

Profile:

Another note on core work. I didn't get around to doing much oblique work, which Coach Scarpulla also stresses. We did do sandbag work that worked that stability but he recommended things such as standing with a barbell on your back but have it really uneven and sticking far out to one side then doing side bends. I did this the other day, very good.

As for reps and volume, my viewpoint was to roughly do double whatever I previously would have thought of as a good number. Three sets like most of my assistance exercises? Nah, lets do 5 or 6. Fifty reps? Screw it, one hundred. One ab exercise today? Nah, lets hit up two. Feel free to go a little crazy if that is a big weak point for you.
Old 09-22-2012, 12:42 PM   #23
John C Corona

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Meverden View Post
Another note on core work. I didn't get around to doing much oblique work, which Coach Scarpulla also stresses. We did do sandbag work that worked that stability but he recommended things such as standing with a barbell on your back but have it really uneven and sticking far out to one side then doing side bends. I did this the other day, very good.

As for reps and volume, my viewpoint was to roughly do double whatever I previously would have thought of as a good number. Three sets like most of my assistance exercises? Nah, lets do 5 or 6. Fifty reps? Screw it, one hundred. One ab exercise today? Nah, lets hit up two. Feel free to go a little crazy if that is a big weak point for you.
Thats funny you mentoned the side bends, as I did those this morning as a finisher. I've seen video of a chinese weightlifter (pretty sure it was Lu Xiaojun) with a 45# barbell unloaded just going to town side bending, and I've been doing it since. I only break at the hip, and might only get a 45 degree angle with the bar and horizon. Uneven sounds interesting.

Im a big fan of leg lifts and wipers, now I must add weight!! Ab wheel, well, gotta make it a strength.

Thanks a bunch for the breakdown, as you already said it in the Rick's thread. I TOO, would love a PR jump like you friend Jared. Good heads up on doing more, more , more.