CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 09-05-2011, 01:14 AM   #1
Alex Eltherington

Profile:
Squat is going backwards.

I have been having problems with my squat.

Over the past few weeks I have been recording and resetting my squat as needed. I have gone from 100kg x 5 to 80kg x 5 due to poor form.

This was on the 26th of August and was @ 90kgs I have since dropped to 80kg but I am now finding it too hard to lift 80kgs for 5. As in it's just too heavy.

Not sure I'm making any sense, but basically after each reset I am unable to start incrementally increasing again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqInMD5JHy0 (WFS)

I know that in a couple of the reps I don't go deep enough but I don't think it's that that is keeping me from heavier lifts. Maybe I'm wrong.

Please critique.
Old 09-05-2011, 08:07 AM   #2
Robert Fabsik

Profile:
Re: Squat is going backwards.

It seems like your weight is foreward on your feet and that you start the movement by bending your knees first, this is making it hard to use your posterior chain and hips to help with the lift.

Therefore, I'd suggest starting the movement with your hips by sitting back and then let your knees break. Focus on keeping the weight midfoot or near the heel (ideally you want the weight focused midfoot and distributed throughout the foot--but sometimes weight on the heel helps mentally change from weight on the front).
Old 09-05-2011, 08:24 AM   #3
Aaron Gainer

Profile:

Do the 10 minute squat test from Dr. Starrett. You need to work on that bottom position.
Old 09-05-2011, 04:25 PM   #4
Alex Eltherington

Profile:

Robert: Thanks, hadn't noticed the knees going forward first but looking at it again you are totally right. I'm working the squat again on Thursday so I'll cue it then.

Aaron: I was just checking out MobWod this morning for some ideas and heard about the 10 min squat. I'll give it go. Thanks.
Old 09-05-2011, 04:40 PM   #5
Anthony Bainbridge

Profile:

Lose the running shoes, widen out the feet a bit, control your descent, and get consistent with your depth. Box squats could be a solution.
Old 09-06-2011, 12:19 AM   #6
Preston Sprimont

Profile:

It definitely looks like you could use a wider stance. That can certainly help you get better depth.
As others have said, initiate the movement with the hips. It looks like you're squatting high-bar, so it won't be AS posterior chain dominant as a LBBS, but you should still really focus on starting the movement with the hips. This will help you keep your knees back and better utilize the posterior hip musculature. Also, mobilize. It'll help everything.

As far as going backwards in your squat progress though, this could (in addition to form) have to do with other factors, particularly diet, sleep, and exercise regimen. Are you eating enough? Have you upped your lifting or exercise volume recently? Going backwards is always a sign that at least one thing needs to be changed.
Old 09-06-2011, 09:38 AM   #7
Robert Callahan

Profile:

not sure what your overall goals are, but I think you will find gaining 10-15 kg will vastly help your strength overall. Between that and fixing your form, (lifting shoes, sit back into your squat, be comfortable in the bottom, etc) you should be good to go.
Old 09-06-2011, 05:10 PM   #8
Alex Eltherington

Profile:

Wow thanks for all the reply's.

Anthony: I have it in my head that I want to end up lifting completely shoeless that's why I'm wearing NB Minimus, seriously they are paper thin souls. I have never tried lifting shoes. Maybe it's time I did.

Preston: I deadlifted yesterday and thought I would give the wider stance a go with that and I made a +10kg on my PR. Definitely doing the same on my squat tomorrow.

When I started getting issues I had assumed it was due to posterior chain so started adding in back raises on a GHD and GH raises from the floor to my warmup but this hasn't made too much difference... ...yet. I have ODC in my right shoulder so I can't lower the bar any further down my back much more to take advantage of the posterior chain anyway.

As far as diet, exercise and sleep go, I have been paleo for over a year now, my sleep is great and after flitting between programs for a few months I have been pretty good recently. I did three cycles of GSLP with two short hard metcons a week (I really needed the upper body strength increases that I got from this.) and have just started CFFB this week to bring some more metcons back into my life.

Robert C: My weight has been a bit#h. I know, I know, another whining hard gainer but I did three months of solid paleo (three good meals a day 2-300g of protein every sitting plus loads of nuts, but not much carbs) + 4 liters of milk a day and lost weight. 7kg to be precise. For some reason my weight just doesn't want to go above 80kg. This is where I have leveled out using Paleo + milk + protein powders + a lot of fruit. I would LOVE to be 90-95kg, I think his would be the perfect weight for my height it's just not happening.

Did the 10min squat for the first time, took me 30min. I got serious cramp and pains all over the place. Knees wouldn't stay out and feet kept creeping to about 90deg. Not good.

Looks like it's back to basics for me. Butt first knees out and lots of mobility and ROM work.

Thanks everyone.
Old 09-06-2011, 05:19 PM   #9
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Eltherington View Post
Wow thanks for all the reply's.

Anthony: I have it in my head that I want to end up lifting completely shoeless that's why I'm wearing NB Minimus, seriously they are paper thin souls. I have never tried lifting shoes. Maybe it's time I did.

Preston: I deadlifted yesterday and thought I would give the wider stance a go with that and I made a +10kg on my PR. Definitely doing the same on my squat tomorrow.

When I started getting issues I had assumed it was due to posterior chain so started adding in back raises on a GHD and GH raises from the floor to my warmup but this hasn't made too much difference... ...yet. I have ODC in my right shoulder so I can't lower the bar any further down my back much more to take advantage of the posterior chain anyway.

As far as diet, exercise and sleep go, I have been paleo for over a year now, my sleep is great and after flitting between programs for a few months I have been pretty good recently. I did three cycles of GSLP with two short hard metcons a week (I really needed the upper body strength increases that I got from this.) and have just started CFFB this week to bring some more metcons back into my life.

Robert C: My weight has been a bit#h. I know, I know, another whining hard gainer but I did three months of solid paleo (three good meals a day 2-300g of protein every sitting plus loads of nuts, but not much carbs) + 4 liters of milk a day and lost weight. 7kg to be precise. For some reason my weight just doesn't want to go above 80kg. This is where I have leveled out using Paleo + milk + protein powders + a lot of fruit. I would LOVE to be 90-95kg, I think his would be the perfect weight for my height it's just not happening.

Did the 10min squat for the first time, took me 30min. I got serious cramp and pains all over the place. Knees wouldn't stay out and feet kept creeping to about 90deg. Not good.

Looks like it's back to basics for me. Butt first knees out and lots of mobility and ROM work.

Thanks everyone.
What do you mean "3 cycles of GSLP"? I started it at decent strength levels and got almost 4 months before I needed a reset on any of my lifts. Did you start low enough on weights to where you'd get a decent number of reps on your AMRAP sets? That's really key to pushing your progress.

Another issue is that you're not squatting deep enough to get your hamstrings and glutes involved. If they don't get loaded up they don't get stronger.
Old 09-06-2011, 06:06 PM   #10
Alex Eltherington

Profile:

Yeah OK, not quite cycles, but I did 3 x 4 weeks. I have been planning and programming as if I were doing 4 week cycles, just to kind of keep track of where I am compared to where I want to be by next year.

Don't take it that I reset every 4 weeks, I didn't, just called it a cycle.

The idea was to do 4 x 4 weeks of GSLP and then re-asses my gains and see what I wanted to change (More metcons? more upper body work? more assistance?) The change to CFFB came early because all my upper body work increase at such a good rate I wanted to get more metcons back in earlier. (Purely because I enjoy them so much, no other reason.)

Seriously GSLP is amazing, I could do 10 kipping pullups in a row when I started, now I'm doing 15 strict pullups in a row and my press is nearly BW from half BW.

All my lifts went up and great until I stalled on my squat and so I got the video camera out to see what was up. Made some changes and reset by 10%, did the same a week later and ended up unable to increase, which is where I'm at now.

I'll post a new video tomorrow and see if I have taken everything in.