CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 05-25-2014, 05:54 PM   #1
Bob Herald

Profile:
Vest walking?

Wendler recommends walking with a weighted vest for conditioning/cardio . Anybody try it? Experiences or theories?
Old 05-25-2014, 07:29 PM   #2
Luke Sirakos

Profile:
Re: Vest walking?

Seems pretty simple to me, you burn more calories than normal walking since you would be moving more weight. Not sure how much of a difference a weight vest would make on short to medium walks though. If you are talking a 10 mile hike with a loaded pack on your back it would be a different story.

What are you looking to accomplish?
Old 05-25-2014, 08:54 PM   #3
Robert D Taylor Jr

Profile:

Rucking is a different animal than walking with a vest. The suck involved in a heavy fast ruck is exceptional. Wear good boots.

Walking with a vest is not so bad, up to about 40lbs.
Old 05-26-2014, 04:56 AM   #4
Steven Wingo

Profile:

Walking with a vest might be a way to burn calories, but I question whether it is a wise use of time for conditioning/cardiovascular fitness. Even with a vest, for most people that is very low intensity exercise. You will see more results doing short but high intensity metcons. A longer, lower intensity workout may be good every now and then but I certainly would not make it a staple of an exercise program.
Old 05-26-2014, 07:04 AM   #5
Robert Fabsik

Profile:

For the purpose of training intense CV, probably vest walking wouldn't be the answer.

But for someone who is working on a base strength program trying to get their lifts up, and isn't focusing on Metcon fitness, than vest walking would be a good compliment to the lifting to keep the CV intact without taking resources away from the the lifting.

I would also imagine the mindset you take to vestwalking would matter in regards to pace.
Old 05-26-2014, 08:59 AM   #6
Michael A. Jones

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Herald View Post
Wendler recommends walking with a weighted vest for conditioning/cardio . Anybody try it? Experiences or theories?
I think it's great for conditioning!! Although I am happily retired from the Army, I still like to strap on my vest and ruck, on occasion, and go for a hump.

I do between 6-10 miles and burn between 1000-1500kcals. Plus, it ain't a leisurely stroll....I averge 5 mph or better.

Michael
Old 05-27-2014, 06:47 PM   #7
Michael Steiger

Profile:

I walk with a weight vest and use it as conditioning. Between a job, wife, toddler, new baby, and yard work; there is not a lot of time left for conditioning on top of my regular lifting session. Even to get those in I have to get up at 3:45 during the week. I bought a 50 lb V-max weight vest and I adjust the weights based on what I am doing. I use it 2 - 3 times per week. If I walk the dogs and baby, I wear the weight vest with 30 - 40 lb. When i mow the lawn I wear it with 30 lb. My whole upper body gets work from the vest. I really feel it in my abs, low back, and posterior chain. After mowing the lawn with the vest my shirt is usually soaked and I'm beat. It's different conditioning than running or metacons.
Old 05-29-2014, 11:09 AM   #8
Adam Shreim

Profile:

I walked my dog up and down some hills with 80#. I took a different route one day and had to slog up a close to 20 degree incline for .6 miles and it was pretty rough, but doable.

The good thing about walking is that it hardly feels like you need to take a break.

The bad thing about it, especially with a lot of uphills, is that sometimes it stresses my lower back muscles. That is about it.

I went down to 60# after 2 weeks of it, though. I wanted to be able to walk at a fast clip, especially for the sake of my German Shepherd.
Old 05-29-2014, 11:24 AM   #9
Dakota Base

Profile:

I'd also agree that walking with a weighted vest is NOT the same thing as Rucking (hiking with a weighted pack). Not even in the same ballpark.

One advantage, however, to carrying the extra load, is that it gets your body used to bearing more load than it normally would. You hear it said all the time: wanna lift heavy weights? handle heavy weights! It doesn't necessarily add to your squat max, but it DOES make your heavy squats feel lighter, and it DOES make your physiological responses to handling heavy weights less dramatic (blood pressure, respiration, hr, etc).

I have been using weighted vests as part of my training for over 20yrs. Worthless for a lot things that they commonly get used for, dangerous for a lot of their common uses also, but also very useful for a lot of other things.

I personally would not waste my time walking in a weighted vest for cardio. It's not a high enough cardio load, you'd get a better workout by RUNNING for less time than walking in a vest. Yes, it's harder than walking without a vest, but so is running, air squats, rowing, swimming, jumping rope, or pretty much ANY OTHER COMMON CARDIO WORKOUT...

I do, however, often wear a weighted vest around the house just for acclimation. I'd never call that 'cardio', but it serves a purpose - it gets my body used to operating under that load. My blood pressure, heart rate, and respiration rates don't climb as much anymore as they used to under the vest, which I'm prone to believe helps with my METCON adaptation. But that doesn't mean it's training my aerobic endurance in any fashion. It's really the same idea as Farmer's Walks or Burden Carries. Take your pick, either carry cinderblocks up the street and back or wear a weighted vest. Or better yet, do both.