CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 10-04-2008, 10:30 AM   #1
Cory Osborne

Profile:
Programming ?

One question comes to mind right now and he touched very breifly on it in the journal video today. Warming up. He said, "Lets say the workout is deadlift, you're warming up with the deadlift...". I know he was making the point about counting your "warm-up numbers" and your actual "workout set numbers", but what about the CFWU? Is the CFWU a "staple" before all the WODs and you would add WOD specific warm-ups (ie. Burgener warm-up, deadlift warm-up, jump rope warm-up) after completing the CFWU?
Old 10-04-2008, 10:42 AM   #2
Ted Apollo

Profile:
Re: Programming ?

that is a good question. from what i have read from these boards a lot of people really personalize their warm ups. they might scale down the cfwu, have their own set of warm ups, and some try warm up specific areas.

for me i need my whole body to be warmed up before i work on any movement. so for deads i would do my own cfwu which i usually include slam balls then i would do like 2x3 of 135 on deads then maybe 2x1 of 225. after that i stack on the weight and hit up my wod. when i do warm up sets on deads i try to just get the muscles moving, but not exhausting the muscle at all. this works well for me.
Old 10-04-2008, 12:11 PM   #3
Sean Dunston

Profile:

At CF Alexandria, we have a set warm up (which gets modified about every month or so) that I go through in its entirety before every WOD - regardless of the WOD. We encourage all members to get to the gym at least 15-20 minutes and go through the warm up prior to hitting the WOD. Since folks arrive at varying times, people typically warm up at their own pace. However, I remember when my wife and I went to the Black Box, Mike put the entire group through a warm up prior to us doing FGB - which was the WOD that day.

At CFA, whoever is leading the group also generally works on skills that are elements of that day's WOD. If we are doing SDLHP, we will have all of the members grab a pvc pipe and go through a few minutes of warm ups with it to be sure everyone's form is good.

Then there are definitely skill warm ups that immediately precede a WOD so that you can safely do the WOD, just as Dave Castro stated in the video, prior to the actual "work" of the WOD. I do this for all strength days... I tend to have as many as 4 or 5 warm up sets on dead lifts (something like: 135 x 7, 225 x 5, 275 x 3, 315 x 2, 365 x 1) before I begin with my WOD weight.

IMHO - as long as you are getting all major muscle groups warm and loose and have broken a nice sweat, then you are probably ready to proceed with the WOD.
Old 10-04-2008, 12:42 PM   #4
Patrick Haskell

Profile:

I like that notion of a set warmup that changes monthly. It gives you the chance to develop a set of skills over time. The CFWU stresses some pretty fundamental movements for CF (like the Burg w/u does for oly lifts), so it's a great place to start, until those skills are second nature. After that, I'm much more likely to mix things up. Right now, I'm focusing on prehab work for areas of weakness and just do an abbreviated and modified CFWU to get the rest of my body going. Regardless, I alway warm up specific motor pathways that are likely to need it for a WOD, like the DL example given.
Old 10-04-2008, 01:42 PM   #5
Stephen Wakefoose

Profile:

Constantly Varried sound familiar. I think the CFWU is a good cover all bases default. As a self proclaimed CF novice there is no way I'm doing pullups with a pull up intensive WOD. I have not been to a cert but I was at Blauer Tactical systems Combatives Camp where Bredan G took us through a WOD. No CFWU we did push ups and squats. warm up is warm up. Do you feel sufficiently wram'd up after the CFWU? I keep it to ten minutes whatever I'm doing which I might add is usually the CFWU.

I think the key elements are make sure you are preped for whatever the WOd is

Don't make the WU the workout leave the intensity and smoke for the WOD

my $0.02
Old 10-04-2008, 02:00 PM   #6
Sean Dunston

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Wakefoose View Post
Constantly Varried sound familiar. I think the CFWU is a good cover all bases default. As a self proclaimed CF novice there is no way I'm doing pullups with a pull up intensive WOD. I have not been to a cert but I was at Blauer Tactical systems Combatives Camp where Bredan G took us through a WOD. No CFWU we did push ups and squats. warm up is warm up. Do you feel sufficiently wram'd up after the CFWU? I keep it to ten minutes whatever I'm doing which I might add is usually the CFWU.

I think the key elements are make sure you are preped for whatever the WOd is

Don't make the WU the workout leave the intensity and smoke for the WOD

my $0.02
I get what you are saying - but remember the CF saying to the rest of the world, "Your workout is our warm up!"
Old 10-04-2008, 03:55 PM   #7
Zach Forrest

Profile:

The point of a warm-up is to raise the body's core temperature (increased circulation/heart rate), prep the muscles, and warn the nervous system about the upcoming intensity.

Do not fatigue yourself during the warmup...this defeats the purpose of seperating the warmup from the workout.
Old 10-06-2008, 09:46 AM   #8
Cory Osborne

Profile:

I can see where this topic is headed.

It really wasn't a question of fatigue, but more of which warm-up for which WOD.

I like what Sean Dunstan brought up. For some people just grabbing a pvc pipe and practicing movements for the upcoming WOD is enough.

In reading CFJ "A Better Warm-up", states that the CFWU movements are all necessary fundamental movements. Over time they should become too easy for a warm-up and you should progress to harder movements that don't become a workout in itself.

Combining the above comments and the CFJ article, it seems that it would be best to get better with the CFWU each time, and once they are mastered, moving on to harder movements staying in the realm of a warm-up. On Single Modality days, since they are more strict form reliant, there should be more of a skill based warm up (example: CFWUx2 and using the last round of the CFWU for that single modality exercise).

OR, maybe its better to look at the WOD and see what movement is the most difficult for you. If 3 of the movements are hard, then so be it. Warm-up those movements with the pvc pipe. Then roll into the CFWU till you are really feeling warmed up, having a little sweat going.

From my understanding, working out on your own, you really need to know what you are capable of (understanding of the movements, weight, and reps etc...). If you lack in areas of the fundamental movements that are in the CFWU, then you should not be wasting your time with the rings or the oly bar in your warm up. Once you are warmed up, then its time to practice what needs to be completed for the WOD.

If you are applying a warm-up and WOD to a group, you need to know the limitations of them and keep everyone on the same page to progress together. So using the warm-up to develop everyone's skills and to do the WOD safely would be better.