CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 02-15-2018, 01:52 AM   #641
Alex Burden

Profile:
Re: Its me and it's her (the wife)

Thursday morning and both of us slept well which also meant we were both tired this morning. Wife ate her porridge oats as usual otherwise she gets so hungry while working out and will complain. I take 4.2 grams of dextrose about 45-60min before we start to work out and start to drink my aminos. I have noticed over the past few weeks since starting this that that little energy kick into the system really helps me out, its just enough to pick me up and help with that focus i need in the morning because i never eat anything before working out.

Plan for today - The burn in short spurts and pacing

Warm up
1km row under 2min/2.20 per 500m
PVC pipe, resistance bands

Then we started to hit light to easy squats to get the legs going while preparing and setting up with what was to come.

Dumbbells out and warm up with them too.

The burn
So the idea is to keep the rounds as even as possible throughout with the first round being the baseline. +- 5 seconds is ok.

6 rounds each, alternate between rounds of:

5 burpees (new standard)
7.5m/25 ft DB lunges 22kgs/49lbs 8kgs/17lbs
5 DB cleans 22kgs/49lbs 8kgs/17lbs
7.5m/25 ft DB lunges
5 burpees (new standard)

Wife - 2.00, 2.08, 2.00, 1.54, 1.51, 1.45
Myself - 1.45, 1.38, 1.40, 1.38, 1.35, 1.27

The first 3 rounds we dropped the DB's just before the cleans and then turned round and picked them up. The wife did not do that on round 4 and was 6 seconds faster, so i did the same thing too which also kept things fast even though i was breathing heavyish. Last round we just went for it.

Both of us were very pleased with this. I was a little worried as my left hamstring has given me issues in the past since when i hurt it back in my karate days. I was really pleased it held up well and i did not feel anything.

Cool Down
The wife went strait into her stretching and did that for around 20min.

I went into strict pull ups. 1, 2, 3, 4... until failure, 20 second rest between sets.
I completed the round of 7+7reps = 35 reps in total. I was pleased with that. Then i stretched for 15min.

and that was that.
Old 02-16-2018, 01:38 AM   #642
Alex Burden

Profile:

Friday morning but we are both really sore in the hamstrings and glutes today after the lunges yesterday but that won't stop us from the plan, just work through it.

Plan - 18min of work

Warm up
1km on the rower
PVC pipe and resistance work
Light stretching in between

Then a lot of preperation and setting up for what was to come. We have both noticed if we prepare a lot more prior to a workout it really helps. No more rushing into things. All in all 35min.

Plan - 18min AMRAP

Complete:
18 cal Row
15 wallballs 9/6kgs
12 DB Snatch 22/9kgs
9 T2B/K2C

The idea for this was to be able to complete everything unbroken when you can. So the row was to just row and get out of the way, wallballs unbroken, DB snatches TnGo on those and T2B/K2C unbroken. The rest is between the movements in the transition.

Result:
Wife - completed round 4 + 40reps = 241 reps
Myself - completed 5 rounds = 255 reps (my goal was 5 rounds)

I got ahead of the wife during the first row as i am a lot faster and from there i just kept her behind me. We were more or less even on time on the other 3 movements as planned. Both of us were really pleased with that.

Cool down
1-1,5kms on the rower drag around 60, flush the muscles a little

Then onto a lot of accessory work for the shoulder cuff, upper and lower traps using resistance bands - maybe 15min

Then i started to stretch for 15min or so while the wife tested strict push ups without me seeing, she got 6 in a row . The she stretched.

been another great week this week.
Old 02-16-2018, 08:17 AM   #643
Alex Burden

Profile:

Recount on the results.

Result: should be
Wife - completed round 4 + 40reps = 256 reps
Myself - completed 5 rounds = 270 reps (my goal was 5 rounds)

No idea what the hell my brain is doing sometimes
Old 02-19-2018, 01:33 AM   #644
Alex Burden

Profile:

Monday morning and feeling quite good. Actually forgot to set the alarm clock last night! but lucky enough i woke up only 10min late.

So over the weekend we did not do much, 6km walk out in the cold but it was very sunny which was nice and i think we have put in a couple of hours of stretching, mobility and rolling. Feels as if we both put on 5 lbs this weekend but its all in the brain when you don't do a lot. On the other hand sometimes you have to do nothing and let the body rest and the brain cool and stress off.

Plan for today - a continuation from Friday's workout, legs but in II parts.

Warm up
1km on the rower as usual
PVC pipe work

light stretch and mobility on the legs and shoulders in preperation for what was to come. Once we were up and running we could stretch a little more as needed.

Plan - Squats = part I
5,5,5,5,5.... take the weight as far as you like.

Wife - 15, 20, 25, 30, 35, 40, 45, 50kgs/110lbs
Myself - 20, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80, 90, 100kgs/220lbs

So part I was the preperation for part II that was the main focus for today. All of the lifts were really solid for both of us today. The wife said she could have taken the weight up once more today but knew we had more work to complete.

Part II
EMOM - Over Head squats +1rep every minute until failure

Wife 15kgs/33lbs, myself 43kgs/95lbs

Wife - complete round of 10+7 = 62 reps
Myself - completed round of 12 = 78 reps

Wife said she felt really good today but only stopped becasue her hands were hurting.
As for myself things we going really well, actually they have never been this solid before. I actually stopped after i completed the round of 12 because both of my wrists were hurting, maybe my straps were a little tight or in the wrong position. So i was not taking any risks on getting hurt. I was so pleased with that.
One of the big improvements and time savers for me was the fact that i could squat snatch the first rep. previously i had to power clean it up, then flip it over my head to my shoulders, get the grip then the bar OH and then hit the first rep. This would waste an easy 10+ seconds, where as now the first rep was completed within 3 seconds.

Cool Down
Wife did some accessory work for stability and he hip flexor and then she stretched for 15min.

I did some light stretching for 20min.

A great start to the week.
Old 02-20-2018, 01:05 AM   #645
Alex Burden

Profile:

Tuesday morning and it is cold outside today, -5 or 23 fahrenheit Brrrrrrrr. Both of us are feeling quite good and not as sore in the legs as we expected.

So the plan for today - continuation from yesterday but with added lactric acid.

Warm up
1km on the rower
PVC pipe work
light stretch

and start to set up and prepare for what was to come. This also meant warming up with the movements. All in all i would say around 35min before we started.

The Plan

Partner workout - together complete 16 rounds of:

Assault bike - wife 15, myself 20 cals
1 DB deadlift (dumbell weight - wife 10kgs, myself 22kgs/49lbs)
1 DB squat clean
1 DB thruster
3 burpee box jump over 20/24"

Time: 24.44

This was a good workout as you could push on the AAB until you felt the lactic acid starting to build in the legs and then you went strait into the remaining movements, once done you had maybe 30-40 rest to see if the body could flush it from your legs. After round 3 we both knew how to pace it and push it to maybe 75-80%, one constant pump the whole time.

Cool down
We both cleaned up our mess and started a general stretch.

In between this the wife wanted to work or her rope climbs . We did some work last week but know she wanted to take this a step further. So we did some work from sitting on a box to get her feet working and locking the rope. Progressed to her standing up and getting on the rope to her finally taking a very small jump and locking her feet in the rope. This went really well and it won't be long before she cracks this one. The main thing i can see over the years is that she can control her body much better she can actually learn by watching so much easier. I think the biggest thing is confidence and trusting herself. Spent 20min on this.

And that was that.
Old 02-21-2018, 01:53 AM   #646
Alex Burden

Profile:

Wednesday morning and boy it is cold outside today -10/14 fahrenheit, good job we have an inbuilt diesel engine heater for the car. Both of us are feeling quite ok and no soreness at all today.

Plan for today - back and hit the muscles deep.

Warm up
1km row
PVC pipe
general upper body light stretch

Set up and warm up with the first 2 movments to come.

Back day
Superset
6x10 reps - trap retraction (laying face down on a tilted bench) 1-2½kgs plates
6x16 reps - Mobilization for rear delts, traps and lats

Superset
6x10 reps - KB shrugs 12,16,20kgs KBs
6x10 reps - DB single arm rear delt flyes 3,4,5,8,9kg db's

All of the above was about focus on hitting the muscle and making sure you have contact with them. Stretch out and squeeze at the top to really make them work. Reaching those deep muscle fibers is hard but taking our time makes it much easier.

Finally - Super Strict pull ups 2 seconds hold at bottom - 1,1,2,2,3,3,4,4.... until failure
Wife does her rep then i do mine, then she does 2 then i do 2 and so on.

Wife - completed round of 8 + 8reps - Total = 44reps (assisted PU's)
Myself - completed round of 8 + 7reps - Total = 43reps

I was hoping to complete the round of 9 but things got heavy at the end, major pump in my forearms. Wife was really pleased with her result.

Cool Down
upper body stretch for 15 min or so.

i did a couple of strict HSPU's, no problem there.
Old 02-22-2018, 01:16 AM   #647
Alex Burden

Profile:

Thursday and feeling really good, both of us slep really well and feel well rested. With the open knocking on our door tomorrow our palnning has now changed, Thursdays are now low impact low intensity days for the coming 5 weeks.

Warm up
5min walk on the treadmill at a fastish pace to get the body going

A really light stretch of the legs for a minute or so to loosen them up a little.

Low Intensity
20min run on treadmill at what ever speed you like

Just running is boring so we did somerthing similar to last week.
EMOM2 - taking turns, we chose what incline we both had to run at. The incline went from 0, 2, 4, 5, 6, 2, 2, 4, 1, 1 degrees.

Result:
Wife - 2.97km (291cal)
Myself - 3.2km (388cal)

15min Row - no foot straps used
Result:
Wife - 3200m (181cal)
Myself - 3628m (231cal)

This was so easy for both of us, we were in the zone and our stroke rate was between 22+23/min. We were consistant the whole time and even tallked with each other now and then.

Cool Down
some stretching and flossing today for 35min
Old 02-23-2018, 04:30 AM   #648
Alex Burden

Profile:

Friday morning and it's that time again... The Open 2018

Feeling good about today's announcement and even had the chance to watch Sam and company before leaving for the gym at 05.50

Warm up
1km on the rower nice easy pace at drag 130
PVC pipe
some light stretching and shoulder mobility

Then i started to warm up with 18.1 movements and the wife did her thing.

Wife First: - she is not doing the open and decided to do her own thing. Once she was done she judged me.

Round 1
250m Row
20 burpees
20 KB swings 16kg
20 sit ups
20 Wallballs 6kg

Round 2
500m Row
15 burpees
15 KB swings 16kg
15 sit ups
15 Wallballs 6kg

Round 3
750m Row
10 burpees
10 KB swings 16kg
10 sit ups
10 Wallballs 6kg

Round 4
1000m Row
5 burpees
5 KB swings 16kg
5 sit ups
5 Wallballs 6kg

Time - around 25min

The Open 18.1 Masters 45-49.

Complete as many rounds as possible in 20 minutes of:
8 toes-to-bars
10 dumbbell hang clean and jerks
14-cal. row

Men use 50-lb. dumbbell

Result: 8rnds + 11 reps = 267reps

So after watching Sam Briggs and how fast she was i set up a plan, complete 8 rounds or better. As they mentioned on the show this is not won at the start but at the end. So i set a pace and kept it the same all the way through and actually got ahead of my pace.

My plan from the start was 2x4 on the T2B, unbroken on the hang C&J and rest on the rower at the same pace all of the time.
*T2B went well and i only broke once on the 7th round as i lost my timing and had to re-grip.
*The C&J, i KB swung that baby up to my shoulder which makes it so much easier and kept the same pace throughout the reps not rushing or blowing out my shoulders.
*The row was nice and easy, 54 seconds to complete each round on that which gave me time to rest. I had a stroke rate of 22-23 the whole time pulling around 940cal/minute.

On the whole i am quite pleased with today and i did not bring everything to the table, i have 5-10% more in me i think. My rounds were within seconds of each other the whole way through which is key. But i have a plan for Monday

Cool down
Clean up and stretch for 25min
Old 02-26-2018, 01:23 AM   #649
Alex Burden

Profile:

Monday morning and feeling quite ok. Been a very cold weekend -16 celsius or 3.2 Fahrenheit. Wife was in a really good moddy this morning and cracking jokes and generally looking forward to today.

Plan - repeat 18.1
Wife will do he own thing and then judge me.

Warm up
1½km on the rower
PVC pipe work
and then continue to warm up with the 18.1 movements and set everything up in better postions to help with the transition.

35-40min preparation

No idea what the wife did as she was in a different part of the gym to start with.

The Open 18.1 Masters 45-49. - REPEAT
new goal of 280 for today but would love to complete 9 rounds.

Complete as many rounds as possible in 20 minutes of:
8 toes-to-bars
10 dumbbell hang clean and jerks
14-cal. row

Men use 50-lb. dumbbell

Result: 8rnds + 28 reps = 284 reps (17 reps better)

I was ahead of my plan until round 7 where i lost 13 seconds and after round 8 i was 20 seconds behind. The reason for this was i broke the 4 remaining T2B's so i lost thos efew seconds i needed. So on round 9 i have 1.40 left and came up 4 cals short on the rower. I am pleased with what i did today.

Wife
She ran 20min and different inclines and completed exactly 3km. She was pleased with that.

She then judged me for 20min.

10x10 reps of back extensions (i joined in and did 5 sets)

Cool Down
general stretch for 20min.

Great start to the week and great end to 18.1
Old 02-27-2018, 01:55 AM   #650
Alex Burden

Profile:

Tuesday morning and feeling quite ok. Wife was in a real happy mood today and cracking jokes and having fun . So today we are gong to be working out togther for quality when the lungs are under stress.

Warm up
1km on the rower
PVC pipe work
extensive shoulder warm up and mobilization

General light stretch on the rest of the body at the same time we set up and warmed up with what was to come.

Today then: just follow each other.

10 rounds each of:

10/7 cal on AAB
30/60 Du/Su
2 power snatches 25kgs/55lbs, 43kgs/95lbs (TnGo on all 4 reps)
2 squat snatches 25kgs/55lbs, 43kgs/95lbs

No clock but it took around 20min. Wife started her round on the AAB and when she was done i jumped on it after her, so i just followed her all the time. I felt the Du's went really well even with a higher heart rate and the snatches went really well too. Wife was pleased with her rounds, she also felt the flow was better after 3 or 4 rounds.

After we were done we both did i would say around 12-15 snatches nice and easy with the same weight as during the WOD. They all felt really sharp when they are not TnGo.

Cool Down
stretch for 20min or so.

and that was that