CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 02-12-2011, 06:11 PM   #1
Michael J Beggs

Profile:
I HATE RUNNING!!!-Ultramarathon/Crossfit Endurance Training Log

Looking at me one would assume I am a natural runner (my body could best be described as scrawny and lanky), but nothing is further from the truth. I hate running with a passion. If I wasn't in the Army I probably wouldn't do it at all. Things changed a little bit though when I read Born to Run by Chris Mcdougal. That was the first time I had really ever been exposed to ultra distance running. I have always been a little intrigued by counter culture, whether it was in the form of punk music or street art. Ultra distance running seemed to fit in that category. When I was looking for new fitness challenges I decided to go all out. A standard marathon wouldn't do the trick. I want to do something that makes people say "HOLY CRAP!".

The problem is I am a busy guy. I work and go to school full time so it is hard for me to commit a ton of time to training. After reading about Tim Ferriss' experience in the 4 Hour Body I decided to give Crossfit Endurance a whirl. I have been doing Crossfit for a little while now so it seemed like a good fit.

Right now I actually have 3 races lined up for the rest of the year. The first is the Mohican Trail Marathon June. They also have 50 and 100 mile versions of the race but I wanted to start with something a bit shorter. I have a friend who has worked the race and they said it is no joke. It should be a good challenge to start with.

All links WFS

http://www.mohican100.org/index.php?...aces&Itemid=96

The next race is the YUTC 50k in September. It is actually the longest of the three but probably the least strenous in terms of terrain.

http://www.neotrail.org/yutc.html

The last is probably going to be the most challenging, the Quad Dipsea. It is 28.4 miles of strenous terrain (over 18,500 of elevation change).

http://www.run100s.com/qd.htm

My training will consist of a 3 on/1 off at my local box, Crossfit Catamount, and then of course the CFE workouts.

http://crossfitcatamount.com/

I will be sure to log my workouts meticulously here for accountability and to possibly guide others. The training starts tomorrow, wish me luck...
Old 02-12-2011, 08:03 PM   #2
Casey Raiford

Profile:
Re: I HATE RUNNING!!!-Ultramarathon/Crossfit Endurance Training Log

Hey Mike;

I'm a recovering ultra distance runner, used to do 70+ miles a week. I've been into Crossfit for about three years now. I'm interested to see how this goes for you and will be following your log if you don't mind.
Old 02-13-2011, 08:03 AM   #3
Michael J Beggs

Profile:
Re: I HATE RUNNING!!!-Ultramarathon/Crossfit Endurance Training Log

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey Raiford View Post
Hey Mike;

I'm a recovering ultra distance runner, used to do 70+ miles a week. I've been into Crossfit for about three years now. I'm interested to see how this goes for you and will be following your log if you don't mind.
Casey, the more the merrier. I'm running this experiment for everyone else as well as myself. I have a nice fitness base right now but I would hardly consider myself a runner. I want to see what the CFE model can do.
Old 02-13-2011, 08:43 AM   #4
Michael J Beggs

Profile:
124 days until the Mohican Marathon

I'm giving it a couple more hours, hoping that it warms up a bit and the wind dies down. This is actually the warmest day we have had in a long time so maybe it's fate. A few other things people mauy want to know about my program. I know that this amount of training will require a lot of rest and great nutrition. I am really been working on getting quality sleep lately. This has been a problem in the past for me. I put on some new blackout curtains to help with the light. I am getting a humidifier to help with the dry winter air and give off a nice hum. For diet I am following a mostly Paleo diet. Lots of meat, tons of veggies in EVOO, and some fruit. PWO I am going to use a yam/apple sauce/whey concoction I saw on Robb Wolf's site. If it turns out I need a quicker carb source for recovery I may switch to Vitargo.

While performance is the primary concern aesthetics is still important. I am curious to see how this type of training will effect my physique versus traditional LSD training. Right now I am weighing in at about 145-150 with approx. 10% body fat. I have some pics that I will upload when I get some time.
Old 02-13-2011, 01:37 PM   #5
Michael J Beggs

Profile:
Not a good start

The first day of training didn't go so well. I decided to use my uber expensive Garmin GPS watch. The problem was it died after a few miles even though it was 43% charged at the beginning (piece of crap). When it died I went to my car to grab my phone so I could use the Run Keeper app to track my run. When I did this I accidentally left my keys in the car. I got a few more miles in then stopped to make sure I didn't miss the roadside assistance guy. While I was waiting I did sets of pushups (mainly to keep warm). I'm really hoping that this isn't a sign of things to come.

Run
1 Hour
About 6 miles

Pushups
25 sets of 20
Old 02-14-2011, 08:11 AM   #6
Michael J Beggs

Profile:
Another hiccup

It feels like I tweaked my hamstring a bit. I'm probably going to take it easy today. Hopefully it is minor and I'll be back at it tomorrow. My legs are tight in general from the run so if they feel better tonight I might do a light workout. The pushups smoked my upper body as well. I am crazy sore up top.

Last edited by Michael J Beggs : 02-14-2011 at 08:36 AM.
Old 02-14-2011, 12:18 PM   #7
Michael J Beggs

Profile:
Tweaks

I am tweaking things a bit. I am following a Zone type diet with mostly Paleo foods right now. For the next 10 days or so I am going to operate on my base block prescription. That should give my body some time to adjust (and lose some of the bellyfat I have accumulated). After that I will bump up the fat blocks. During this time I will stick to one workout a day. I just don't think my body would be able to recover fully from two workouts per day on such a reduced caloric intake. Once I feel like I am adjusted to the new diet and I bump up the fat blocks I will go back to two-a-days.

On another note, my leg is feeling a lot better. It may be a little bit if DOMS not a pull. I am going to give it a couple of hours then I might get a light workout in.
Old 02-14-2011, 04:54 PM   #8
Michael J Beggs

Profile:
123 days until the Mohican Marathon

The legs were feeling pretty good so I did a light 4k on the rower. I tried to do some situps afterward but I started cramping. The diet is getting there but I need to hydrate better. I have a church thing tomorrow night so I will probably make it back to the box on Wednesday. I will try and squeeze in a quick run in the morning if my legs are up to it.

Concept 2 Rower
19:42.4

2x20 situps
Old 02-15-2011, 07:56 AM   #9
Michael J Beggs

Profile:
122 days until the Mohican Marathon

Definite dip in energy today. I have a a feeling the next few day swill be rough until my body gets adjusted to the new diet. Hopefully by the start of next week things are back to normal.

Blackjack
20 PU/1 SU
19 PU/2 SU...
20:18 (That's about 6 minutes slower than I did this same workout a couple of weeks ago)
Old 02-16-2011, 04:51 PM   #10
Michael J Beggs

Profile:
121 days to Mohican Marathon

First day back at the box. Felt pretty good. Pumped to get back at it. The diet is coming together nicely and I'm feeling pretty good.

21-18-15-12-9-6-3

Box Jumps (24/20)

Situps (GHD or Unanchored Abmat)

For Time!

4:39