CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 10-31-2007, 06:12 AM   #1
Matt DeMinico

Profile:
URGENT (if you're going to join the group buy on those bumpers)

If you're not familiar with the group buy that's going on for 35lb bumper plates that are for sale in Columbus, see the below thread:
http://www.board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=22838

Mods: FYI, I made this thread so people know it's ready to move forward, I didn't want to bury this on page 3 or 4 of the other thread.

I talked to the guy, and he's willing to let them go at a bulk price. It's not as good a price as I was hoping for, but it looks like a buck per pound is going to be the rate for these things. The good thing however, is that we've got a number of people involved who can progressively move some bumpers closer to your location. For example, if you're in Rochester, NY, there's some people in Cleveland who are likely going to buy some bumpers, and they've offered to pick up other people's plates for them, so you'd only have to drive to Cleveland instead of Columbus (a good 2 1/2 hour drive time savings each way). I'm up in Detroit, so if you're from Chicago or anywhere in Michigan, I can hold plates at my place for you. There's also someone down near Cincinatti who's willing to pick up some plates for people down south of Ohio. And if all else fails, there's always shipping of some sort.

Here's the deal:
He's got about 82 plates left at 35 lbs each, and the price for the buy is going to be $1 per pound. I'm going to be organizing the purchase myself, and paying him directly (he wants to just do one transaction and be done with it). So you'll most likely be sending me a Paypal payment, and just adding on I think 2 or 3% to the amount to cover the paypal expenses (I forget what the paypal fees are exactly, I'll work that out).

I think the best option is to see if everyone involved in picking up can meet at his place at the same time, and we'll split up the plates then.

And FYI so nobody gets upset that I wasn't straightforward, the price I'm negotiating with him will probably end up being very slightly less than a buck a pound, so I will most likely end up with a few plates for myself out of this deal for setting it up, etc. Then again, I haven't accounted for every single plate either, so I may end up with a bunch of plates sitting around that cost me some money I don't have. If that ends up being the case, and ***if every CF'er has bought what they wanted from the bunch at the group price*** don't be surprised if you see the last few extras of these selling on eBay.

SO... if you are interested in this, I need two things from you:
1) Send me an eMail mdeminico@gmail.com with your phone number, number of plates you want, your location, if you're picking up or *need* them shipped (it's preferrable to pick up if you're somewhat close, but I can ship too), and if you're willing to hold some plates at your place for other CF'ers to pick up. Oh, and your full name too so I don't ask for Ralph when I call and your name's John.
2) Reply here with the number of plates you are going to order, your location, and if you're willing to pick up plates and hold them for others.

We'll need to get moving on this ASAP, I'm supposed to give him a "yes or no" answer by tomorrow, then we'll have a few days to organize things I think, maybe a little longer.

Last edited by Matt DeMinico; 10-31-2007 at 06:16 AM.. Reason: my eMail address would help
Old 10-31-2007, 06:58 AM   #2
Tim Donahey

Profile:
Re: URGENT (if you're going to join the group buy on those bumpers)

Hey Matt. Nice score on the plates!

The guy's very close to me, like 15 minutes, so I will be happy to pick up and stash any plates while people make their way to Columbus for pick-ups.

and I'd like 2 plates for myself.

-Tim
Old 10-31-2007, 07:10 AM   #3
Jay Cohen

Profile:

Matt;

Nice job.
I'll take 8 plates for a total of 280 lbs and I owe you appx.$280 USD.
Tim, my new best buddy from Columbus will be storing these for me and as of now, I plan to train with him Nov 10 in the Columbus area, which at that time, I'd pick up my plates

Jay Cohen
Sharpsville, PA. 16150

8 35lb plates, total weight 280, appx cost 1.00 per lb. Drop me a note when you want Paypal payment

Thanks very much.
Old 10-31-2007, 07:47 AM   #4
Adam Levenson

Profile:

I am very interested in around 8 plates, but I need a shipping quote. Shipping would be to 23462, or I could pick up if someone is dragging them closer to the east coast.
Old 10-31-2007, 08:00 AM   #5
Matt DeMinico

Profile:

Ok, I've been racking my brain trying to figure out how to calculate the paypal fees of 2.9% + $0.30, because as soon as you add in the extra paid for the fees, it goes up again, so the easiest way to manage this is just to do the following, and I'll just eat the lost difference:

Base payment ($1 per pound) plus 3% plus thirty cents ($0.30)
It works out this way:
2 plates (70 lbs): $72.40
4 plates (140 lbs): $144.50
6 plates (210 lbs): $216.60
8 plates (280 lbs): $288.70
10 plates (350 lbs): $360.80
12 plates (420 lbs): $432.90
14 plates (490 lbs): $505.00
16 plates (560 lbs): $577.10
18 plates (630 lbs): $649.20
20 plates (700 lbs): $721.30

If you want more than 20 plates, just do the formula.
Old 10-31-2007, 08:25 AM   #6
Matt DeMinico

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Levenson View Post
I am very interested in around 8 plates, but I need a shipping quote. Shipping would be to 23462, or I could pick up if someone is dragging them closer to the east coast.
It looks like (just going by FedEx) it'd be cheapest to go with multiple 70 lb packages. As soon as you get beyond 70 lbs (even 71 lbs) it goes up like seven bucks per package.

What I got for a quote for shipping was: 4 x 70 lb packages at $25.99 each = $103.96

I looked up freight quotes and it was crazy stupid.

I also looked up US Postal and UPS, both were higher by 3 bucks per package and 5 bucks per package respectively. FedEx looks to be the cheapest.

FYI for others: Calculate shipping from Sterling Heights, MI zip code 48310 And it appears packages in multiples of 70lbs is the cheapest.
Old 10-31-2007, 08:34 AM   #7
Michael Thornton

Profile:

I would like 6 plates. I live in the Columbus area, so no shipping needed. I can store some in my garage if anybody needs that.

Delivery wise, every week or two I drive from Columbus to Cambridge via I-70. I can meet/deliver along this rout.
Old 10-31-2007, 08:37 AM   #8
John Schneider

Profile:

Matt,

I'm in for 6. I'll be sending my brother from Pittsburgh, so if Tim can hold them until he can fit it into his schedule, that would be awesome.

Thanks a bunch.
Old 10-31-2007, 08:49 AM   #9
Tom Fetter

Profile:

Sorry lads, with the shipping quote, I'll have to bow out.

Orthodontist bills for the daughter's teeth trump bumpers.

t
Old 10-31-2007, 08:55 AM   #10
Tim Donahey

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Schneider View Post
Matt,

I'm in for 6. I'll be sending my brother from Pittsburgh, so if Tim can hold them until he can fit it into his schedule, that would be awesome.

Thanks a bunch.
No prob.