CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 11-24-2005, 09:28 AM   #1
Danny Samples

Profile:  
Hello everyone. After much lurking I have decided to jump into the WODs with both feet. I am 43 and started BJJ classes about 6 months ago. I love them but was wondering should I attempt to follow the WOD schedule to the tee. I do BJJ on Mondays and Wednesday. Also are there any any crossfitters in the Cincinnati area. Thanks in advance for the replys
Old 11-24-2005, 06:17 PM   #2
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
In response to your title question Danny, absolutely not. However, the caveat is that you prepare yourself for what you are getting into. Study up on rhabodmyolysis and make sure you don't do too much too soon. Warm up well and remember to scale the workouts. Do the WOD's as prescribed when you can, but if the weight or reps are too high, adjust them and work your way up to the prescribed dosage.

I'm turning 50 on the 27th and I do triathlons in addition to my CF straining...oops, Freudian thing there, I meant to say training. Nothing but gains for me. Be thoughtful in your exercises and monitor your exertion and you will improve constantly.
Old 11-24-2005, 08:30 PM   #3
Skip Chase

Profile:
Ditto- I'm 53. 3 days on 1 off. Rest when I have to. Adjust load when I have to.
Old 11-24-2005, 08:45 PM   #4
Larry Cook

Profile:
Danny,

I think you'll find plenty of 40+ folks that do the WOD + something else. In the beginning, you might need to go a little light with the WODs on BJJ days until your body adapts. It will, though, and then you will be a BJJ monster and the "kids" in your class will wonder what drugs you've been taking.
Old 11-25-2005, 09:19 PM   #5
Joshua F Hillis

Profile:
My personal experience: 3 on 1 off CrossFit would jack up my BJJ practice. CrossFit should serve your BJJ, if BJJ is your main thing.

What that meant for me: I'd do BJJ 2-3 times per week and I would CrossFit 2-3 times per week. That means I'd be skipping about half the WODs, and I always had a day or two when I rested completely.

I never paid any attention to CrossFit rest days, I'd rest when my body told me to, which CrossFitting hard and rolling hard was quite often.

Also, I started with 50% of the WOD, and worked up from there. Took me six months to get to 100% WODs, and even then I'd modify the WOD sometimes.

Just my experience, what worked for me. Coming back from Brazil I realized I liked CrossFit more than BJJ. Pesky BJJ always getting in the way of my CrossFit!
Old 11-26-2005, 09:37 AM   #6
Frank DiMeo

Profile:
Danny, I'm 55; go for it!