CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 07-29-2008, 02:15 PM   #1
Steve Bickles

Profile:
Improving running without running

Im currently in a job which i have to do a fitness test every year, and to be honest its not very taxing. But i wanna move into another department where the fitness test is alot harder. I could handle the strength tests but its the running which im not sure of. Its the bleep test which im sure most of you know about, you have to get to level 9. I have done it before but i think some bleep tests here in the UK differ (i have done them in different places and with some level 5 is like walking and with others its like a fast jog)
Now i know alot of you will say " if you wanna improve your running....RUN!" but i like to enjoy my workouts and to be honest, i HATE running! i get very bored very quick.
Im willing to do some running,im not a total a**ehole but how else could i improve for the test without running?? do you think alot of lower body calisthenics and other cardio forms (like cycling and rowing) would help enough? I love kettlebells and weightlifting, thats really my thing but that isnt gonna help me enough is it??

anyone got any thoughts or ideas to help? anything that will improve in a short space of time?? i wanna try and take the test this year, about november time.
Old 07-29-2008, 02:36 PM   #2
Christopher G. Woods

Profile:
Re: Improving running without running

jumping rope, box jumps, lunges
Old 07-29-2008, 03:13 PM   #3
Melissa Urban

Profile:

When I run, my lungs always give out before my legs. If that's the case, I definitely thing some shorter, super-intense met-con sessions would help. Anything with light to moderate weight, shorter duration and no rest. You could do some KB drills or ladders - a clean/swing/snatch combo is one of my favorites, or tabata swings and snatches. Those are metabolic a** kickers.

When you do run, mix it up. I'll do sprints (4 x 400m or 2 x 800m) or some track drills that involve running plus other stuff like burpees, KBs, etc. That keeps it from getting boring (because I hate running too) and should develop your conditioning faster than just running 3 miles at a time, every time.

Good luck on your test,
Melissa
Old 07-29-2008, 03:16 PM   #4
Elliot Fuller

Profile:

Deadlifts and exercises that work the posterior chain are all good for running. The oly lifts are great for explosiveness.

As for cardiovascular aka metcon: stick with the WODs and maybe check out CrossFit Endurance. Having specialized sport-specific "WODs" makes things a little more interesting and not quite so mundane.

Also, I'm not sure how effective it is, but you might try rowing as a substitute...
Old 07-29-2008, 03:18 PM   #5
George Mounce

Profile:

If you hate running, do it harder for shorter distances. I often go back and forth myself between running and rowing - the aerobic part I have down pat, but I will notice that if I go long period of time between running, my POSE form breaks down a little bit.

Run some sprints and know they keep you getting better!
Old 07-29-2008, 04:21 PM   #6
David Goodrich

Profile:

Bleep test = sprint endurance. I worked sprints with a friend of mine who needed to take that test for USA Rugby tryouts, I think at the time he got a 14 and is probably up from that currently. That said, I really think the only way to get better at running (specifically sprint endurance) is running.

Elliot and George both make good points between crossfitendurance.com and sprints. Try the rowing WODs on CFE if you absolutely can't run, they tend to be short and very intense.
Old 07-29-2008, 07:16 PM   #7
Debbie O'Donnell

Profile:

An article that might be helpful (WFS)

http://www.dragondoor.com/articler/mode3/269/
Old 07-29-2008, 09:16 PM   #8
Frank Tardi

Profile:

i honestly didnt run in about a year before i started doing crossfit... by the time i started to do actual runs, i been running 645 miles... all due to crossfit, nothing specific jus doin the workouts and doing em to the best i could. i have a body who did crossfit strictly and never actually ran, he was one the best runners when soccer season started. i mean fartleks are always good to do and everything else, but when i strictly did crossfit for two months and started running after that it was astonishing the results i was seeing.
Old 07-29-2008, 10:51 PM   #9
Nick Gagnon

Profile:

It depends how well you want to do. If you want to just do alright, you might get away with little to no running. If you want to do great, your have to run and practice.
Old 07-29-2008, 10:57 PM   #10
Thomas Bailly

Profile:

emulate the "forever blowing bubble types"of your avatar, chase a ball around while enjoying yourself, it doesn't seem like running (football aka soccer forthose missing the references)