CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 08-13-2014, 01:48 PM   #1
Matthew J. Davis

Profile:
How much running is too much?

My wife and I have added running (consistently) to our weekly routine. It's a way we can leave the box, just us two, while training, and get some good 1-on-1 time without interruptions. We have been increasing our distance each week. At this time, we usually work out three-four times per week and run no less than two days per.

I know this is a great way to burn calories. But I'm worried that running too much will break my muscles down. What, from your knowledge or experience, is an appropriate regimen to follow to achieve maximum results without breaking down too much muscle?

I apologize if this is confusing or doesn't make sense..
Old 08-13-2014, 05:30 PM   #2
Chris Sinagoga

Profile:
Re: How much running is too much?

Pose Method bro.

But besides that, it depends on your purpose. It sounds like you are just running as a mental break. If that's the case, then learn (to the best of your ability) the Pose Method. Then begin to incorporate small amounts at a time. For example, if you want to get away for 45 minutes, then try doing like a 2 minute run, followed by a 3 minute walk, etc. etc.
Old 08-14-2014, 04:00 AM   #3
Steven Wingo

Profile:

If you are doing it only 2x per week, I doubt there is much risk you will start to burn away muscle as long as you are eating enough. I say that assuming you are not out there running 15k with her or something like that and that this is a relaxing run of 15-20 minutes or so. That is not a lot of running.

Each person may be different as well so you will just have to monitor it. Some people who have trouble keeping on weight have to be very careful, such as me--I drop weight fast when doing a lot of running or cycling. But for me that was running 6-8 hours weekly or cycling 12+ hours weekly. That is very different than a couple of runs a week for 15-20 minutes. I'd say go spend the time with your wife running with her, make sure you eat enough, and don't worry about it.
Old 08-14-2014, 07:27 AM   #4
Brendan McNamar

Profile:

If you want to run to increase met-con like fitness then short and fast a couple of days a week. Nothing over 5 kilometers. Things like 5 x 400 on 4:00. Won't hurt you progress.

If you want quality 1 on 1 time with your wife outdoors try hiking, preferably up mountains or hilly paths. Burns calories, gets the heart rate up enough to be beneficial, allows for conversation and doesn't interfere with recovery or break down the body.

We have great little mountains here in Phoenix. One look a the folks who hike them for fitness and I know it works.
Old 08-14-2014, 07:54 PM   #5
Marshall Flagg

Profile:

Are you actually running or just kinda wogging? You might be better off just walking.
Old 08-15-2014, 10:48 AM   #6
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

The Chinese gymnasts run about 15miles a week. Seems to work for them. 5x3?

The Russian and Germans were known to do similar mileage.
Old 08-15-2014, 01:04 PM   #7
Beth Hogan

Profile:

I came here to post this exact same question. i inadvertently taught myself to run until I wasn't frustrated/depressed/stressed/XXXX anymore. While good in theory (not sitting at home comfort eating or drinking or what have you) I'm wondering at what point does it become too much/too risky.

I run about 3 miles every morning. Sometimes if I have a bad day I'll run another 2 or 3 after work to help myself calm down.

Does anyone else use the Pose method regularly?
Old 08-17-2014, 10:12 AM   #8
Dakota Base

Profile:

First off, listen to your body. If you start getting excessive and chronic joint pain or start feeling muscle sensitivity/weakness, then you either need to look at your running technique, or you might be overtraining (could be the running, could be the crossfit).

Secondly, You have been fed some bad science.

Running will not cause muscle wasting unless you have a caloric deficit. As long as you factor those burned calories into your weekly intake, you won't have a negative effect on muscle mass. Endurance runners operate at a deficit to minimize their muscle mass on purpose - running in itself doesn't necessarily cause muscle loss unless the volume is HUGE (45-60mi per week).

Muscle fatigue and joint stress due to running + Crossfit is a hard thing to define. It'll depend how you're running and how your crossfit is programmed. For instance, doing a fast pace 5mi hill course on Monday then doing a buttload of thrusters, wallballs, squats on Tuesday will likely put you at risk for overtraining. BUT, doing a buttload of thrusters/wallballs/squats on Monday, then a nice and easy recovery 5k on Tuesday is actually a great strategy.

There are a couple general rules of thumb for running and the human body that tend to hold true across most athletes:

1) Over 7-10mi in any one session at a taxing pace typically requires rest and recovery at some level to prevent overtraining injuries (this might be 5mi for someone with ZERO running experience, especially if they're overweight).

2) Anything over 30mi per week is generally only done a few times per year during training cycles, as more volume isn't sustainable (keep in mind, higher volume running almost always requires 5-7days per week).

So if you and your wife are just starting out, 3x per week not to exceed 15-20mi total will likely be sustainable without risk of overtraining injuries, even including your Crossfit training.

If you're only pulling down 3days of 3mi, you're not even on a maintenance schedule, so have no concerns.

If it gives you any confidence, my wife and I typically run 3-5days a week, and then do Crossfit type workouts 3-4days a week, have been doing this for years. We usually pull down 15-20mi per week, usually 3-5mi per run, with the occasional 8-13mi run in there.
Old 08-17-2014, 02:04 PM   #9
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Quote:
If it gives you any confidence, my wife and I typically run 3-5days a week, and then do Crossfit type workouts 3-4days a week, have been doing this for years. We usually pull down 15-20mi per week, usually 3-5mi per run, with the occasional 8-13mi run in there.
I think I've actually recommended that way back years before. One long-ish run, with a shorter and longer track interval day. Pretty similar.
Old 08-17-2014, 07:33 PM   #10
Dakota Base

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blair Robert Lowe View Post
I think I've actually recommended that way back years before. One long-ish run, with a shorter and longer track interval day. Pretty similar.
Yeah Blair, I meant to mention it, but didn't really do a good job of it, so I suppose it's worth expanding a bit. If you're working towards a distance goal, adding one long run per week is the way to go, instead of trying to run long every time. If you're just running for cardio gains, then the long run might not be necessary, other than as a test for your development.

And by long run, again, anything over 7mi is "long," so you don't want to pull down 3x7 right off the bat until 3x5 is very comfortable.