CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 08-08-2010, 08:08 PM   #1
John Poulos

Profile:
Showers in your box.

How important is it to have showers in your box? I have the green light from HQ and am looking at some spaces. One that I like has only one bathroom. Is bare bones enough. Showers and more bathrooms would cost a fortune. I'll take any input. Thanks.
Old 08-09-2010, 01:39 AM   #2
Michael L Schaal

Profile:
Re: Showers in your box.

Depends on your market. If you live in the suburbs where everyone drives to and from the gym and home and separetly to work, showers are probabaly not necessary. If you live in a downtown area where people use mass transit and go directly to work after morning classes or have a ride home on a train or bus after working out, showers are going to be required, unless you're lucky and every client has a shower at work or is close to home.
Old 08-09-2010, 06:32 AM   #3
Ian Nigh

Profile:

If you want to have a lunchtime class for office workers, then showers are a good idea.
Old 08-09-2010, 07:22 AM   #4
Casey Raiford

Profile:

We've got showers and they get used pretty much ever day. That being said, it's almost always the before work and lunch hour folks. The after work crowd almost never uses them.
Old 08-09-2010, 07:40 AM   #5
Todd Crawford

Profile:

I don't work out at an affiliate, but I use the shower every morning at my globo. I wouldn't join a gym that didn't have one, personally. My schedule is tight enough without haveing to schedule in another trip to the house before work.
Old 08-09-2010, 08:25 AM   #6
Craig Takahiro Descoteaux

Profile:

we have one shower/ bathroom. its convient for us, two athletes use them b/c they work next door.
we also have sportsmith next to us and they use it for lunch or right after an evening class before heading home.

i live at our box and need it.

if you can, yes.

if its not possible now, then wait and budget later.
Old 08-09-2010, 04:31 PM   #7
Mike Porter

Profile:

I agree with Schaal, depends on the market. Where I workout there are no showers and it does not seem to effect anybody, but the gym is in a residential area.
Old 08-10-2010, 11:21 AM   #8
Aushion Chatman

Profile:

Showers are definitely a luxury item. having them is cool, but I think it weighs very little into an affiliates ultimate success or failure...
Old 08-13-2010, 08:20 PM   #9
Kevin A. Smith

Profile:

I agree with the advice that Craig and Aushion have provided. We're moving to a larger space this month and although we don't have the funds to install a shower immediately we have ear-marked the real estate within the box. We haven't lost anyone as a result of not having a shower although a couple (literally two) of our members have requested them in the new space. For the members that have asked for showers we explained that they are pricey to install and that we have planned on adding them down the road - they are satisfied and continue to train.
Old 08-21-2010, 11:23 AM   #10
Jim Crowell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael L Schaal View Post
Depends on your market. If you live in the suburbs where everyone drives to and from the gym and home and separetly to work, showers are probabaly not necessary. If you live in a downtown area where people use mass transit and go directly to work after morning classes or have a ride home on a train or bus after working out, showers are going to be required, unless you're lucky and every client has a shower at work or is close to home.
I have to agree... but it is also a matter of budget. Remember it takes time to build a community and thus it will also likely take time to build a revenue stream. So ask yourself, how much do showers cost, then you can see how many extra members you would need to just break even on the showers. Then you can have a better idea of their value to you.

Jim
http://*******.com