CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 01-15-2010, 04:05 PM   #11
Chris Walls

Profile:
Re: Official Drupal Users Thread

Start with the basic installation, if you find you're missing a function go get a module for it. So far for me there doesn't seem to be a lot of overlap or sillyness... you can check out my site to see how Ive implemented it.
Old 01-19-2010, 07:52 AM   #12
Jeff Wheeler

Profile:

The Drupal website does a great job of explaining the modules and linking certain modules together such as say lightbox (for pictures in a gallery or anywhere on your site.) There isnt a whole lot of, for lack of a better word "crap" because the community does a good job working together on modules.

If your interested in what modules we used send me an email. jeff@captawesome.com
We use google apps for email since there are some great email modules so your site can use and send emails out.
Old 01-21-2010, 10:56 AM   #13
Marcus Thompson

Profile:

Thanks for this post! I've been using Wordpress and have been unsatisfied with the ability to add forums and picture galleries to my site.

I'm curious as to how easy is it to design a theme or template. Has anyone done it or have you just used pre-made themes?

Another question I have is how technically savvy do you have to be to work or edit within the framework. Do you have to be fluent in CSS or PHP?

Thanks.

Last edited by Marcus Thompson : 01-21-2010 at 11:04 AM.
Old 01-21-2010, 12:30 PM   #14
Jeff Wheeler

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Thompson View Post
Thanks for this post! I've been using Wordpress and have been unsatisfied with the ability to add forums and picture galleries to my site.

I'm curious as to how easy is it to design a theme or template. Has anyone done it or have you just used pre-made themes?

Another question I have is how technically savvy do you have to be to work or edit within the framework. Do you have to be fluent in CSS or PHP?

Thanks.
Creating a theme defenitly isnt a easy task, it takes quite a bit of knowledge of php html and css. What most do is just modify an existing theme. You can do that for the most part with a basic understanding of html, css, and how the layout works. Theme we use on our site is Marinelli highly modified. Its nice it has a built in banner rotator and as I get more banners it will change randomly with each page you go to. You mentioned forums, and galleries which is just another great feature built in with the modules like on our site. One of the underestimated things is a feature called ubercart which is a module for an online store which could be implemented for just about anything you could want to sell online.
Old 01-21-2010, 01:45 PM   #15
Marcus Thompson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Wheeler View Post
Creating a theme defenitly isnt a easy task, it takes quite a bit of knowledge of php html and css. What most do is just modify an existing theme. You can do that for the most part with a basic understanding of html, css, and how the layout works. Theme we use on our site is Marinelli highly modified. Its nice it has a built in banner rotator and as I get more banners it will change randomly with each page you go to. You mentioned forums, and galleries which is just another great feature built in with the modules like on our site. One of the underestimated things is a feature called ubercart which is a module for an online store which could be implemented for just about anything you could want to sell online.

Thanks for the info! I did like the Marinelli theme too.

Are you using an SSL certificate with ubercart? Does ubercart interface with paypal or does it direct people to paypal?

I appologize for all the questions but I just purchased a domain name and server hosting (with plans to open a box this year) and want to be sure of what I'm getting into before I dive into Drupal.

Thanks again!
Old 01-21-2010, 01:51 PM   #16
Marcus Thompson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Walls View Post
Start with the basic installation, if you find you're missing a function go get a module for it. So far for me there doesn't seem to be a lot of overlap or sillyness... you can check out my site to see how Ive implemented it.
Hi Chris I have a couple of questions for you if you don't mind:

It looks like you paid to have your site set up and had a theme designed for you. I was wondering what it cost you (ballpark) and what the timeframe was in your implimentation.

Also, I noticed that you have a Google page rank of 4. Are you utilizing any of the SEO modules for your site? If so what are they.

Thanks!
Old 01-21-2010, 03:59 PM   #17
Craig Massey

Profile:

This is probably a very ignorant post, but I've just started seriously poking around the Drupal site and Drupal themes to at long last put up a site at my personal domain's new hosting and discovered the Fusion series of themes, including the Acquia Prosper sub-theme.

You'd still need to play about with CSS to tweak colours and graphics to suit, but the Fusion system of themes and the Skinr module eliminate the most common reasons for having to dive into CSS for theme customisation.
I'm seriously impressed.

All you Drupal experts are probably laughing at me because this is old news and or superseded by some other system, but anyway.

All links in this post are work and family safe.
Old 01-21-2010, 05:25 PM   #18
Marcus Thompson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Massey View Post
This is probably a very ignorant post, but I've just started seriously poking around the Drupal site and Drupal themes to at long last put up a site at my personal domain's new hosting and discovered the Fusion series of themes, including the Acquia Prosper sub-theme.

You'd still need to play about with CSS to tweak colours and graphics to suit, but the Fusion system of themes and the Skinr module eliminate the most common reasons for having to dive into CSS for theme customisation.
I'm seriously impressed.

All you Drupal experts are probably laughing at me because this is old news and or superseded by some other system, but anyway.

It's not ignorant to me. I've been using WP for a little less than a year for my blog and you guys are giving me a Drupal crash course here.

To be honest, I'm pretty much sold on it. WP was great to start but Drupal appears to be more professional. Has anyone converted from WP to Drupal? If so, was it difficult to do?
Old 01-21-2010, 05:36 PM   #19
Craig Massey

Profile:

Quote:
It's not ignorant to me. I've been using WP for a little less than a year for my blog and you guys are giving me a Drupal crash course here.

To be honest, I'm pretty much sold on it. WP was great to start but Drupal appears to be more professional. Has anyone converted from WP to Drupal? If so, was it difficult to do?
I haven't even installed drupal for real yet, so I in no way can vouch for this, but there appear to be a few tools available to do the job for you.

Here's two
http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=718546
http://mwolk.com/blog/convert-wordpr...e-into-drupal/

I'd just give it a bash.
The process shouldn't be destructive to your wordpress site.

Old 01-21-2010, 05:49 PM   #20
Chris Walls

Profile:

Quote:
Hi Chris I have a couple of questions for you if you don't mind:

It looks like you paid to have your site set up and had a theme designed for you. I was wondering what it cost you (ballpark) and what the timeframe was in your implimentation.

Also, I noticed that you have a Google page rank of 4. Are you utilizing any of the SEO modules for your site? If so what are they.

Thanks!
Well thanks for the ego boost but it was a free theme that I only slightly modified to suit my needs. It took me a couple months of plinking away at it in what little spare time I had. My old CMS was super easy to implement but the day to day posting of pictures, blog posts, etc.. was way to complicated to get others on board with... the new drupal site is way easier for the end user...

As for SEO modules all I have on there is google analytics, keywords and fresh content every day. I would like to get the clean urls going one day but it's not high on my priority list, plus I'm sure it'd bust a lot of linkage that exists out there. I'm sure there is some kind of redirect I could do to solve that but that's my wife's area of expertise.