CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 01-12-2010, 09:38 AM   #1
Jeff Wheeler

Profile:
Official Drupal Users Thread

I saw the wordpress theme and have started seeing some drupal sites pop up so I would thought I would start this to offer any assistance with drupal sites that someone may use.
Old 01-13-2010, 06:02 PM   #2
Chris Walls

Profile:
Re: Official Drupal Users Thread

Hey I use that! And could have used some help a few weeks ago when I had a WSOD issue... haha!

I will keep my eye out here tho for any tips/must have modules.
Old 01-14-2010, 08:30 AM   #3
Jeff Wheeler

Profile:

Ha, I think I had sent you a twitter offering help. Glad you got everything working alright.
Old 01-14-2010, 09:24 AM   #4
Chris Walls

Profile:

that was you! Thanks for the offer! Luckily it was just the module I needed to migrate my data over from my old CMS, so it was no big deal to ditch it as I had already migrated stuff over.
Old 01-14-2010, 12:46 PM   #5
Craig Massey

Profile:

I'm afraid I'm abusing this thread slightly as I'm not looking to use Drupal for an affiliate site, at the moment.
But, as actual users of the app, could you point me at resources you found most useful to get your head around Drupal?
I can look at all of the tutorials on and linked from the Drupal site and I have at least a brown belt in driving Google, but recommendations from people who use it are Gold in my experience. My major experience with CMS' to this point is Joomla if that helps to tailor any recommendations
Old 01-14-2010, 12:52 PM   #6
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

Gawd....I thought this said it was a Rupaul users thread. (wfs, I guess)
Old 01-15-2010, 07:34 AM   #7
Jeff Wheeler

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Massey View Post
I'm afraid I'm abusing this thread slightly as I'm not looking to use Drupal for an affiliate site, at the moment.
But, as actual users of the app, could you point me at resources you found most useful to get your head around Drupal?
I can look at all of the tutorials on and linked from the Drupal site and I have at least a brown belt in driving Google, but recommendations from people who use it are Gold in my experience. My major experience with CMS' to this point is Joomla if that helps to tailor any recommendations

I used a site called learn by the drop. http://learnbythedrop.com/video. It was a great for getting things setup and from there on really helped launch me into learning more. You can also find there videos on youtube. Im sure you'll like drupal its a little more complicated then wordpress but i believe more robust.

Your more then welcome to look around http://crossfitmountolympus.com Drupal is nice because of built in features to the site like forums and chat and so on.
Old 01-15-2010, 03:40 PM   #8
Chris Walls

Profile:

The key for me was in the modules... there is a module for everything! Just find the module that does what you want and add it... It was more complicate to set up and tweak then my old cms (cmsms) but the end user experience is sooooo much simpler.
Old 01-15-2010, 03:56 PM   #9
Craig Massey

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Wheeler View Post
I used a site called learn by the drop. http://learnbythedrop.com/video. It was a great for getting things setup and from there on really helped launch me into learning more. You can also find there videos on youtube. Im sure you'll like drupal its a little more complicated then wordpress but i believe more robust.

Your more then welcome to look around http://crossfitmountolympus.com Drupal is nice because of built in features to the site like forums and chat and so on.
Thank-you.
That's an excellent series of videos!

Hmm, it looks like layout is determined almost totally by the template as with Joomla, so I'll need to find out what's available there and possibly roll my own.

Poking around CF Mount Olympus now.
Old 01-15-2010, 03:59 PM   #10
Craig Massey

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Walls View Post
The key for me was in the modules... there is a module for everything! Just find the module that does what you want and add it... It was more complicate to set up and tweak then my old cms (cmsms) but the end user experience is sooooo much simpler.
The problem I had with Joomla was that there were so many modules, many of which duplicated functionality that it took a lot of trial and error to find the combination that delivered what I wanted. I'm hoping the situation is a little less messy with Drupal.

I'll just come here and ask if I can't see an obvious favourite for whatever functionality I need.