CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 03-13-2009, 09:43 AM   #1
Jonathan A Wood

Profile:
5k run help

I did my 5k run today for the 3rd time. My first took 60 mins, 2nd took 45 mins, and this one took 39 mins. I understand that I am making improvments but I was really hoping to get this under 25 mins. I have been doing sprints 400m, 800m, etc. to try and improve my time while they seem to be helping the short term about to 2 miles they dont seem to be helping much in long term running such as this wod. So i did some research and found this workout post on a miltary website to help it is run a mile easy as a warm up then run 5-8 400 meter sprints with 5-8 jog slash walks in bettween then jogg for five mins. There were others about in the same format as that one but my question is will this help and also if not what would.The reason I ask is I'm training for basic for the Coast Guard and I want to pass my PFT.Any advice would be nice also untell it starts to warm up I have been stuck doing these's runs on treadmills I really dont want to get a cold and be out for awhile.Also if this will help I can run my 2 mile in 14 mins flat and 400s about 1 min 20 secs.

Thanks Jon
Old 03-13-2009, 10:11 AM   #2
Jesse Kodadek

Profile:
Re: 5k run help

How long have you been Crossfitting for?
Old 03-13-2009, 10:17 AM   #3
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

How much time has passed between those three runs? Shaving 6 minutes off your 5K time in two months -- since the last 5 K WOD -- is actually pretty good. You need to be realistic about what's possible. Also, you haven't told us your target date for the test. Without that, it's pretty difficult to suggest a training plan.

Interval training will certainly help. You say you've been running sprints: what format have you been using, if not intervals? Running 400m once won't help your 5K nearly as much as a series of 400m intervals. You might visit the Crossfit Endurance site for more interval workouts.

It was suggested in another thread that you need to eat more and gain weight. Lack of energy reserves will definitely slow you down on the longer runs, more than on shorter ones. That could be a factor.

Given that the Coast Guard routinely operates in terrible weather, they would probably recommend that you run outside. Besides, you can expect your road time to be slower than your treadmill time. Until you get off the treadmill, you won't know how close you really are to your goal.

Finally, please learn how to break your posts into paragraphs. They are extremely difficult to read, and many people just plain won't bother.

Katherine
Old 03-13-2009, 11:09 AM   #4
Jonathan A Wood

Profile:

Sorry I will start to break things up better. First I feel really stupid but someone told me along time ago that a 5k is 5 miles, I dont know if they just playing a joke or just really thought that. So that means that my 5 mile time is 38 mins.

Second I have been cross fitting for about 6 months and the last time I did my 5 mile was a month ago. Also I do about 8 400 meter sprints with 1 min. rest.
Old 03-13-2009, 11:14 AM   #5
Júlíus Magnússon

Profile:

Quote:
Finally, please learn how to break your posts into paragraphs. They are extremely difficult to read, and many people just plain won't bother.
Definitely a good suggestion.

Also: http://www.crossfitendurance.com (WFS)
Old 03-13-2009, 11:29 AM   #6
Joe C Thomas

Profile:

Dude, I'm seriously confused? If you are trying to get sub 25 min for 5 miles, that's under 5 min/mile every freakin one!!! That is elite running!! Like Ryan Hall (winner of the olympic trials marathon)! Maybe you need to check your facts a little. A sub 25 min 5k sounds a little more like what you're talking about if you are running 2 miles in 14 minutes.

Anyhow, if you are trying to get a sub 25 for a 5 k and you can hit 14 min two miles, it sounds like you need to work on longer intervals. Look at doing mile/half mile repeats once a week, a speed workout, and a recovery run of at least 5 k. That should pretty easily get you there. If you're trying to get 25 min in a 5 mile race, see if you can move to Kenya, they do it pretty well!
Old 03-13-2009, 11:45 AM   #7
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan A Wood View Post
Sorry I will start to break things up better. First I feel really stupid but someone told me along time ago that a 5k is 5 miles, I dont know if they just playing a joke or just really thought that. So that means that my 5 mile time is 38 mins.

Second I have been cross fitting for about 6 months and the last time I did my 5 mile was a month ago. Also I do about 8 400 meter sprints with 1 min. rest.
Okay, now we're all confused. 1 mile = 1.6K; 5K = 3.1 miles; 5 miles = 8K

What distance are you trying to run, and how fast do you need to run it? If you can already run 5 miles in 38 minutes, that's 7.6 minutes per mile, or 22.8 minutes for 3 miles (5K). Problem solved.

Katherine
Old 03-13-2009, 01:22 PM   #8
Shane Skowron

Profile:

I was about to call you out for your 60 minute 5k time, but if that's supposed to be 5 miles then I won't. Because 5k in 60 minutes is a slow walk.
Old 03-13-2009, 04:10 PM   #9
Ted Apollo

Profile:

your improvements sound about right. making gains becomes harder and harder as you get in better shape. elite athletes split seconds so dropping a few minutes would be expected. especially with the way you have been training.

i would also suggest checking out the P.O.S.E. run technique. it can make you faster just by correcting your form.
Old 03-13-2009, 07:04 PM   #10
Jonathan A Wood

Profile:

Hey thanks guys for the input it did help sorry about the mistake I felt really stupid afterwards. I really wanted to just erase the post after I found that out so no one else would have to waste their time reading it.
I did have some questions though about some of the advice.

First Ted the P.O.S.E. you were talking about I have heard of it before but I dont know what it is. Where can get some more info about it.

Also the longer intervals I thought of that to but how many are we talking about. What I do now is sprint 400 meters 8 times w/ 1 min rest. Would 800 meters 5 to 8 times be better and if so long should I do the rests. Mabey 2 mins instead of 1 min

Anyways thanks for the advice and also kinda random but is 38 mins decent for a 5 mile or slow?